Author Topic: paint peeling, rust  (Read 12363 times)

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Re: paint peeling, rust
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »
Hey Everyone, hope you are all well! Fortunately we make ourselves available at anytime, if you have any issues we will take care of you. Our direct line is on every PBC and even though I try to keep up with every post on the thread I get busy and can't always respond in time. Don't hesitate to call. Thank you! PBC Co. - Amber

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
I finally checked out the bottom of my PBC.  It has been used a fair amount.  Mine is mounted on a dolly that has a hole cut in the dolly underneath the bottom for good air circulation.  The bottom of mine looks like the day it arrived.  No rust or hint of rust.  Guess I am lucky on this one.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 05:51:47 AM »
I'm just reading this thread ... Besides the suggestions already provided - please consider these :

1. Use a sheet of HD foil under the charcoal basket
2. Peanut oil has a high temp smoke point , you may try to season internal seams / bottom safely with peanut oil
3. For external metal I recommend : "Corrosion X" spray which is perhaps the #1 rated product to stop rust from forming

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 01:08:37 PM »
I bought a stainless steel pizza pan that the basket sits on.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 07:54:32 PM »
I'm just reading this thread ... Besides the suggestions already provided - please consider these :

1. Use a sheet of HD foil under the charcoal basket
2. Peanut oil has a high temp smoke point , you may try to season internal seams / bottom safely with peanut oil
3. For external metal I recommend : "Corrosion X" spray which is perhaps the #1 rated product to stop rust from forming

I have used this for water contact items...incredible. BUT...I am not sure of its food safety when used on a cooker. ( I also have never subjected it to heat....) I would strongly urge anyone using this product to be careful to keep it only on the outside of the pit until you have clarified with the manufacturer that it is safe to use or this application.
I just want us all to help keep one another safe! ;)

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 11:00:27 PM »
Well, DANG!  Cover (plastic garbage bag) was frozen to the PBC lid when I went to do some wings for hors d'oeuvres tonight.  I put the lid on it while it was coming up to temperature and lifted until the ice melted and the lid dropped into place.  Now I smell like smoke.

Then---There were RUST spots on the lid.  DANG!  Wire brush and high temperature paint in the forecast.  Although I doubt that it's of any importance.  But it bugs me and I can't ignore it.

Oh well, I've been thinking of making a few modifications.  Stand by for details Tommy.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
Pmillen - We recommend a cover like the one we sell on our website, a plastic bag mixed with cold weather will not be a good combo. Amber - PBC CO.