Author Topic: PBC Chicken fail?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline suerapp

PBC Chicken fail?
« Reply #-1 on: October 12, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »
Made 2 halves. One was totally cooked, the other half had some bloody areas. Also the skin never crisped. Any ideas?

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: PBC Chicken fail?
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
Without more details and pictures I would guess that the charcoals may have been unevenly burning, hotter on one side than the other.  As for crispy skin the methods that have been used are setting the lid offset a couple of inches to allow more air in and raise the temp inside the barrel for the final 10-15 minutes of cooking, this is the method I use.  Another method is to remove one of the rebars, that will also allow more air in the barrel to raise the inside temp to crisp up the skin.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline suerapp

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think maybe it was removed too soon, the minute it hit 165. Maybe I should have let it sit at that temp until it started to go higher. Except for the crispy skin it was still delicious. I wanted it to be better than the chicken I get from my gas rotisserie and it wasn't. Going to make another one. Love the PBC though. Made the best ribs ever and trying a chuckie today

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
It is very important to get a complete bed of hot coals before cooking chicken in the PBC. The chicken dripping onto the coals is what creates a tasty fog for the chicken.

I will remove the lid for the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking to crisp up chicken skin. Just remember to keep an eye on it because it gets hot really fast!

Also as LVC stated leaving out one rebar by inserting into opposite holes will allow for a hotter fire than normal and better skin results.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
Made 2 halves. One was totally cooked, the other half had some bloody areas. Also the skin never crisped. Any ideas?

Please tell us your lighting procedure.
Chicken really needs temps at least 325 to get crispy skin.
Did you thoroughly dry the chicken before hanging?
If you brine the bird, let it dry in the refrigerator after brining.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline suerapp

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
I used the lighter fluid method and followed the instructions completely. Also the chicken was dry. Don't remember what the barrel temp was, will write it down the next time. Everything else has come out great. Wings, chuckle and turkey legs. I think I pulled the chicken too soon.

Offline Pappymn

PBC Chicken fail?
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »
Dry wouldn't suggest under cooking. If I'm thinking ahead I like to brine all poultry
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline suerapp

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »
Sorry, I meant it was dried off real well. The finished chicken was juicy but one half has bloody spots at the joints. It ran clear when pierced though.

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:44:47 PM »
Sorry, I meant it was dried off real well. The finished chicken was juicy but one half has bloody spots at the joints. It ran clear when pierced though.

That happens more often than not. Was the bone cracked around that area?
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline suerapp

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
No, the bone wasn't cracked. Interesting thought though. I'm making another chicken on Thursday. Redemption!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »

If the juices ran clear then your good. Sometimes there are small pockets of blood at the joints.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
The majority of commercially raised chickens are now slaughtered as young as 6 weeks. At that age their bones are still soft and the marrow can seep through leaving a pink tint when cooked to 165°.

So, like Muebe said, the juices are a better indicator.  Most important, calibrate & trust your thermometer, not the color of the bones.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68