Author Topic: Chicken problems!  (Read 8254 times)

Offline Stratmeister

Chicken problems!
« Reply #-1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:35:06 PM »
OK, I tried chicken in the PBC again for the family over Labor Day. Did 3 birds cut in halves.

Previously I posted about how long my chicken took, well over two hours. Well I changed my technique completely with the same results. 2+ hours...

I used to light with a chimney, this time I used fluid. I used to wait the recommended 12-15 minutes, this time I waited for gray coals, about 20 minutes. At sea level, vent 1/4 open, both rebars in, top on tight, KBB full basket. PBC initially hit about 400 degrees, settled in around 190.

I used a Maverick 732 and a Thermopen to check doneness.

My observations: both methods still took 2+ hours to reach done, 160 degrees before pulling. With lighter fluid there was more heavy smokey flavor and that smoke grease/creosote flavor I don't like. In fact after cool down the inside of the top was flaking off black creosote. I promptly scraped the top...

So, where do I stand now? What else can I try? Why more creosote from fluid lighting? Is creosote from a smoldering bed of coals, not good combustion?

Just wondering what I need to do to get this great chicken everyone seems to get. What else can I try. Thanks.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Chicken problems!
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »
Did you light the charcoal while placed in the PBC with the lid off? And a full basket of charcoal? Kingsford? Good lighter fluid?
Try a new bag of charcoal. Leave out one rebar. Leave the air shutter completely open. And if temps dip low like that crack the lid to bring them back up.

Chicken should be cooked at high temps in the PBC.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
Give Noah and Amber a call.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:09:33 PM »
Stratmiester....do not despair and don't panic....as simple as this instrument appears to be it is quite sophisticated and very dependent upon air pressure more than anything else.  I'm at 693.72 and when I see the barometric pressure falling I know I'm in for a rough ride cause the air is getting heavy and sluggish and doesn't want to convect like you you'd like it to.  When I see this I do the following....light my coals in the chimney without fluid till they are grey...then pour the in the coal basket where I have split the remaking load in half with half unburnt in the basket and half out.  When I pour the chimney coals into the coal basket the I put on the remaining  coals and wait 10-15 minutes.  Then I put the basket in the bottom of the drum.  But most importantly, I put a 1/4 inch ceramic tile under each foot of the basket giving a little more room to make it easier for the heavier air to get up under the coal basket.

Remember Noah is shooting his videos in Colorado where the humidity is low and the air moves very freely.  That's why he can keep high temps and get chicken to cook so fast.  Us low landers have to make a few adjustments. 

So don't give up..once you figure it out it will be the best chicken you ever tasted

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:49:44 AM »
Answers first. New bag of Kingsford charcoal, new jug Kingsford lighter fluid, full basket, lit in PBC, preheat burn in PBC with top off.

Now, I hadn't considered humidity but that could be a huge issue I suppose. I'm in a small seaside town on the east coast of Florida and humidity this time of year and at cook time was very high. I like the idea of raising the basket a bit, will try that next cook.

So PBC experts, what are your opinions on how high humidity will effect my cooks?

As usual, thanks for the answers, comments and advice guys. Much appreciated.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »
High humidity will affect your burn. I still say call Noah and Amber. They are there for you after the sale and have your answers...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »
Well my only last advice is this. Being you had 3 whole chickens(halved) in the cooker you must have a well established coal bed or the juices from all that chicken will cool off those coals.

My guess would be that the coal bed was just not established enough.

I really don't think humidity was a factor....
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 05:56:41 PM »
Stratmiester....     But most importantly, I put a 1/4 inch ceramic tile under each foot of the basket giving a little more room to make it easier for the heavier air to get up under the coal basket.

It sounds like Stratmiester is having the same problems I am with chicken, and we're both in hot, humid central Florida.

I think PapaBob has some good advice. I haven't sold mine yet, so I hope to try his idea about lifting the coal basket 1/4" or so. It makes perfect sense, allowing more air to get to the coals.

If you try it, Stratmiester, please let us know how it goes.
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »
I am with The Smoke - call Noah and Amber. They want you to be happy with your PBC and will do what it takes to help you solve your problems. You might stumble on answer that they might point you to in a few minutes.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 02:53:08 AM »
The only question I would add to consider is trimming about trimming the chickens.  I always trim back the excess skin and some visible fat from the bird, after I did not do it once and we were getting flavors no one liked.

I always use the chimney method, 10-15 minutes dump, another 10 minutes with the lid off while I hook up the birds.  They usually take between 75-90 minutes using Kingsford all natural, and I am outside of Philly at 289 ft above sea level.  I do usually only have 1 rebar in and I don't use a full basket, I make a mini-mountain in the center topped with 1 chunk of cherry or pecan, and hang the bar diagonally.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
Those of you getting 90 minute or less chicken cook times, how hot is your barrel running? I've got to believe my 190' temp is not going to get a faster cook time regardless of other factors. Do you leave the top cracked? Rebar holes in barrel open?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the PBC but would like to find a way for faster cook leading to less intense smoke flavor. Yes I can call Noah...

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »
I have never used a temp gauge on my barrel so I really don't know.  I usually have no smoke or blue smoke coming out and base my heat off of that. In the winter I don't mind if it is white because it is more likely steam condensing like when you exhale and it comes from your breath. 

If there is think white smoke I remove lid for a minute or two then leave it cracks for 5-10 minutes to give the coals some more air before adding the lid back and keeping an eye on the smoke coming from the barrel.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
Before adding your chicken the heat from the charcoal bed should be pretty intense. If established they will be red hot and ashed over slightly.

If you can load the chicken in the barrel without heat resistant gloves on then the charcoal is not hot enough... Or you have a very high tolerance for pain.

I know mine are ready when I cannot look directly down into the barrel due to the intense heat.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
Wow, I'm getting quite a bit of white smoke and my temps are no where near that hot after the first 15 minutes or so. I only load the chicken after a good hot gray ashed over charcoal bed is established, and that reads 400 degrees at least. From there with top on, rebar in, it drops to around 190, not very hot and stays.

I'm used to TBS (thin blue smoke) from my other smokers and have those and a 22' Weber kettle well mastered so to speak. But the PBC is taking a bit longer to learn correctly. Yes I can "set and forget" and get it cooked, but need to get my temps up to cook the way I want.

Thanks for all the help. I think I just need to cook more on it don't you? LOL...

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »
I hate to beat a dead horse, but PBC is one of the rare companies that will take care of you long after the cash is checked. Heck, they even give you their cell phone numbers.

Please give Noah and Amber a call so you can enjoy your PBC........it is the best chicken cooker around  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven