Author Topic: Chicken problems!  (Read 8256 times)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Chicken problems!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
Those of you getting 90 minute or less chicken cook times, how hot is your barrel running? I've got to believe my 190' temp is not going to get a faster cook time regardless of other factors. Do you leave the top cracked? Rebar holes in barrel open?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the PBC but would like to find a way for faster cook leading to less intense smoke flavor. Yes I can call Noah...

I use lump charcoal for my PBC chicken, starts around 420 then settles at 350 - 375.

1 hour 10 minutes, like clockwork.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 12:27:57 PM »
I get thick white smoke, too. Trimming the fat probably makes a big difference, because I left it all in place.
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »
If you add a chuck of wood, when do you add it?  After your coal basket is ashed over and right before you hang your food?  Or do you let the wood chunk get started with the charcoal?

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
If you add a chuck of wood, when do you add it?  After your coal basket is ashed over and right before you hang your food?  Or do you let the wood chunk get started with the charcoal?

Place it so it peeks out of the unlit charcoal in a way that it will get touched by the lit coals.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Durham Smoker

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
so if I use the lighter fluid method, I should put my wood chunk in the basket before lighting the coals?

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 11:10:46 AM »
so if I use the lighter fluid method, I should put my wood chunk in the basket before lighting the coals?

Correct, unless if you move some hot coals around and place the chunk under them. You want the chunk to get hot and put out clean smoke. A smoldering chunk is bad eats.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »
OMG! An hour and 10? How are you keeping the temp that high? Is the top off for the whole cook or something? I want this to be my cook time, help! After starting about 400 my PBC drops under 200 quickly after putting the lid on.

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »
Stratmeister, your inbox is full. I tried to reply to your personal message, but it won't send because your inbox is full.

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
Cracking the lid will definitely get your temps up,watch it closely when you do that.Also agree that a 'juicy' chicken will put those coals out,I also trim the fat and tail off,that helped me.Dont give up,it takes practice practice practice to get it dialed in,at least for me,it was far from set and forget,Im a believer your microclimate also plays a roll in it.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 08:54:56 PM »
IMO the PBC needs an adjustable vent in the lid,I will modify mine someday to do just that.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:28 PM »
Well, I haven't sold my PBC yet, and there have been a couple of suggestions I hadn't tried, so I did one more cook with the same meat (chicken leg quarters). This time, however, I changed a whole list of other factors, and guess what? Most of the problems Stratmeister and I are having went away.

Here's what changed:
 - Humidity was only 47%, compared to 90%+ in all previous cooks.
 - Bottom vent was open wider (a little less than 1/2, according to PBC instructions).
 - Charcoal pan was lifted 3/8" on small scraps of ceramic tile.
 - Used brand new bag of Kingsford Original, never opened, stored indoors.
 - Used lighter fluid lighting method, lit at four points around outside edges of grate.
 - Two large wood chunks added, between charcoal grate and edges of PBC.
 - Burn-in time was 20 min with lid off, and 80-90% of coals ashed over during that time.
 - Coals were so hot when lid was added, flames were rising from the middle.

And... What I think was the most important change:
 - I trimmed all extra skin and fat from chicken prior to hanging.

There was no excessive dripping or sizzling from the chicken during the cook, no thick white smoke (just thin blue), and NO greasy taste to the chicken - a first for me.

Here's how the barrel temps went:

Hit 311º peak temp a few minutes after adding lid, then it quickly fell.
0:15  272º
0:30  246º
0:45  232º
1:00  227º

Probe was moved to a chicken thigh at this point, and it read as follows:
1:00  159º
1:15  160º
1:30  163º
Cracked the lid (slid sideways) to crisp up the skin
1:45  165º
1:50  169º and a lot more smoke was rolling
Pulled it for dinner

It was delicious, and a lot closer to what I was expecting when purchasing the Pit Barrel.

Bottom line:

- I think the barrel temps are still dropping too fast, but would like to hear some opinions.
 - Trimming the chicken skin & fat made a huge difference. Less grease drippings = almost no grease taste.

So that's the chicken you've all been raving about!

I've posted these issues in a couple of other threads, so this will be duplicated in them, as well. Hopefully it will help others.

Weber Kettle Grill

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 02:47:03 AM »
Glad you are starting to figure it out and enjoy the chicken!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
OMG! An hour and 10? How are you keeping the temp that high? Is the top off for the whole cook or something? I want this to be my cook time, help! After starting about 400 my PBC drops under 200 quickly after putting the lid on.

Leave one rebar completely out, start blazing hot.
Here's my science, you want the coals red hot so that the drippings do not have a second to chill once they hit the coals. They should evaporate almost immediately.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 03:40:56 PM »
LOL Bart, you're right it was at 100%. I had one message in it! I guess I'm only allowed one message at a time...

Offline spuds

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »
I elevate my charcoal basket too,and I have my vent at least 3/4 open now at just under 5000 foot.I use a spring cake pan ring with holes drilled in it.

About my 4th cook I did on ribs had a temperature problem,and my ribs burned up dry with lid big time cracked and temp ONLY 250F.Yeah,right,my mechanical temp gauge broke,it was up around 450   ??? when I stuck in my electronic temp.LOL!   ;D

Bigg,my next cook I'll leave out a rebar,that sounds like a real good plan making it breathe better.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:08:32 PM by spuds »