Author Topic: Chicken problems!  (Read 8268 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Re: Chicken problems!
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »
1BIGG_ER : I'm with you ...Using the hotter Lump Charcoal with chicken solves a lot of issues - that plus trimming the excess fat and perhaps slightly opening up the bottom vent (I need both rebar rods when I hang chicken)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 02:53:23 PM »
1BIGG_ER : I'm with you ...Using the hotter Lump Charcoal with chicken solves a lot of issues - that plus trimming the excess fat and perhaps slightly opening up the bottom vent (I need both rebar rods when I hang chicken)

Hang it sideways on one rebar, then you won't need both.
Yes my basket is not full. You don't need a full basket for one bird!! LOL

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »
Doing 3-4 chickens requires both rebars for hanging space. Is cracking the lid equivalent to leaving one rebar out?

Offline amshepar

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
Doing 3-4 chickens requires both rebars for hanging space. Is cracking the lid equivalent to leaving one rebar out?

Cracking the lid will make the PBC hotter than one rebar out.  I made cookies on the PBC on Monday.  I followed Noah's video and it states to leave the lid cracked a bit.  This is the only video of his I've seen where he suggests this.  Cook time was basically the same as the oven so with the lid cracked I believe the PBC hangs out around 325-350*.  One rebar removed will not get the PBC that high, generally speaking.

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:21 PM »
Stratmeister, have you tried any other cooks since our weather changed?

I did two racks of ribs tonight with all changes previously mentioned (including trimming as much fat from them as possible). They were awesome. The temps held as follows:

0:15 - 302 degrees
0:30 - 264
1:00 - 245
2:00 - 244
3:00 - 232
4:00 - 200

At this point the racks were removed to apply sauce. Even though the lid was only off to remove them and put them back (left it on during saucing), temps went back to 223 degrees and held for the 30 minute sauce-baking time.

4:30 - Still 223 degrees

Taste was excellent. No problems with grease flavor.

I would really like to know what changes you've made, and how it's going. Post when you can.
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
No I haven't used my PBC since the last chicken cook but plan to make some changes as you recommend.

I'm going to raise the basket, remove one rebar, try to figure out my temp control better. I think I trim my chickens pretty good of excess fat and skin but will pay more attention to that next time as well.

I'm not too worried about ribs at this point, I can crank out some sweet ribs on my other smoker for now, but I've got to get chicken cooks hotter and faster to figure the PBC out better.

Thanks.

Offline Sandman

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 08:47:44 AM »
Ribs off the PBC are top notch!

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
No I haven't used my PBC since the last chicken cook but plan to make some changes as you recommend.

I'm going to raise the basket, remove one rebar, try to figure out my temp control better. I think I trim my chickens pretty good of excess fat and skin but will pay more attention to that next time as well.

I'm not too worried about ribs at this point, I can crank out some sweet ribs on my other smoker for now, but I've got to get chicken cooks hotter and faster to figure the PBC out better.

Thanks.

Good plan...after you get the chicken to your satisfaction, be sure to try some ribs. The best ribs I have eaten has been off the PBC. Get coals hot put ribs on go back 3hrs later, no peak or temp check, perfect ribs.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2015, 11:47:36 AM »
Get a small folded piece of foil and place it between the lid and the drum. Adjust opening by adjusting the folded foil thickness.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer