Author Topic: Which Charcoal in the PBC?  (Read 8456 times)

Offline amshepar

Which Charcoal in the PBC?
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
Recently I've been using Royal Oak Briquettes.  I find the taste to be slightly more mild than cooking with Kingsford.  I think there is a time and place for both charcoals.  I like the Royal Oak for chicken specifically.  I think the more intense Kingsford is good for red meats.

I'm finding the burn with Royal Oak to be less consistent though.  When I go check on the basket of coals the next day after cooking there are still quite a few coals with Royal Oak that have not been used, or have greater than 50% of the useful life left.  This is probably for 15-20% of the charcoal in an entire basket.

I'm curious if anybody else ever has this issue.  It doesn't bother me really, but I would not want to do a brisket or whole turkey with Royal Oak if I'm going to have this issue.  Also, is all Royal Oak the same?  I noticed that the bag at Walmart is different than the other grocery store by me that has Royal Oak.

Are there any other brands of charcoal worth trying or ordering?  I only ever see Kingsford and Royal Oak on the shelves, besides the grocery store brand.

Thanks for any input on this.

Offline jjjonz

Re: Which Charcoal in the PBC?
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »
I think Noah recommends Kingsford. Looks like folks use everything, including lump . I have used stubbs with no problem. Just give it a try and see what you think.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
I've only used Kingsford. Always had good results. But, as jjjonz points out folks have used a variety - you may find something that works very well for you.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:05:58 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
I've never used anything but Kingsford.  I normally use the standard Blue (recommended by PBC), but I've also used their Competition Charcoal which burns a little hotter for chicken.

I recently picked up some Kingsford Hickory to try to add a little smoke flavor without wood chunks.  Temp and burn is solid, and it does impart a mild hickory flavor to my food. If you look at the briquettes, they are infused with bits of wood, or what I'd call hickory splinters...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »
I have used Royal Oak and good old Kingsford.........haven't tried the Stubbs yet but I should....everyone seems to like it..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
Kingsford only for me.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline scottv

Which Charcoal in the PBC?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
I use Stubbs for everything other than a long cook like a turkey or brisket. Supposed to be all natural binders

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:09:09 AM »
I've only used Kingsford Blue and the All Natural for chicken only cooks, never had any issues.  I like Stubbs the best, but I think they stopped producing the big bags and buy the smalls ones isn't cost effective for me.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
Only used Kingsford in my PBC
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline amshepar

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 03:06:38 PM »
I bought a bag of Stubbs and will be using it tonight.  I will try and photo document everything I'm seeing as well as flavor of the meat.  I'm cooking some chicken breasts and ribeyes tonight.  The chicken I've done in both Kingsford and Royal Oak before.  Same rubs (Savor Chicken, Savor BBQ, Savor Mo Rockin). 

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
Kingsford for me also although, I have used Kingsford Hickory with good results also.
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 04:55:56 PM »
I've only used Kingsford Blue and the All Natural for chicken only cooks, never had any issues.  I like Stubbs the best, but I think they stopped producing the big bags and buy the smalls ones isn't cost effective for me.
  I bought a couple 15lb bags of Stub's recently because they were $2 cheaper than Kingsford blue. Plus they had a little more charcoal in them.
 I decided to try them and do a side by side comparison. There was no noticeable difference in burn time.  So its Stub's for me right now....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »
I use Stubbs in my PBC with no issues or cook difference other than I swear it gives my food a better taste than Kingsford.   

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 12:00:14 PM »
  I bought a couple 15lb bags of Stub's recently because they were $2 cheaper than Kingsford blue. Plus they had a little more charcoal in them.
 I decided to try them and do a side by side comparison. There was no noticeable difference in burn time.  So its Stub's for me right now....

Where was this?  I could only find the big bags on amazon, HD stopped carrying it and only have Kingsford and Royal Oak.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 02:13:30 PM »
I have always found Stubbs to be more expensive than KBB.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32