Author Topic: Which Charcoal in the PBC?  (Read 8460 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Which Charcoal in the PBC?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »
I've only used Kingsford Blue and the All Natural for chicken only cooks, never had any issues.  I like Stubbs the best, but I think they stopped producing the big bags and buy the smalls ones isn't cost effective for me.
  I bought a couple 15lb bags of Stub's recently because they were $2 cheaper than Kingsford blue. Plus they had a little more charcoal in them.
 I decided to try them and do a side by side comparison. There was no noticeable difference in burn time.  So its Stub's for me right now....

Where was this?  I could only find the big bags on amazon, HD stopped carrying it and only have Kingsford and Royal Oak.
its at Walmart and I looked again today. Stubbs is still cheaper by $2. I always found it higher too but maybe they have decided to be more compeitive...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline amshepar

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 10:04:08 AM »
The Lowe's in Dallas has the 15.9lb bag of Stubbs for under $10.  I think the flavor has been far superior to Kingsford Blue and Royal Oak.  I've done about a 1/2 dozen cooks now with it.  Cook times are identical.  Flavor tastes completely natural, intense charcoal flavor without being overbearing.

Offline steve0617

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
The Lowe's in Dallas has the 15.9lb bag of Stubbs for under $10.  I think the flavor has been far superior to Kingsford Blue and Royal Oak.  I've done about a 1/2 dozen cooks now with it.  Cook times are identical.  Flavor tastes completely natural, intense charcoal flavor without being overbearing.

You say the flavor is superior. How so? Grease fog taste different? Something else?
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline amshepar

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
KB has chemicals as a binder and additives creating effectively an artificial smoke taste.  Yes there is plenty of real smoke flavor in KB because it is still predominately wood charcoal but the burning of artificial ingredients onto your meat is going to create flavor too. 

Stubbs does not have this because it is purely wood derived charcoal and corn starch as a binder.  The grease fog flavor tastes more like a pure charcoal taste. 

For most people, this taste difference is not going to be a big deal.  And both brands create fantastic food. 

I myself, try to eliminate as many artificial ingredients from my diet.  I was a KB user on the PBC for over a year of owning the PBC.  I was afraid to try others because Noah's instructions have been full proof for me.  But after learning about Stubbs and Royal Oak being all natural, and trying both, Stubbs is now my new go to charcoal.

I liken it to ice cream.  I used to LOVE Blue Bell Ice Cream.  Even before their recall I quit eating it because it is predominantly artificial ingredients used to create color, taste, and texture.  Switching to an all natural ice cream has a more subtle yet rich taste.  It may not taste as sweet, but you don't need it to be as sweet because the sweetness is all natural.  The artificial flavor from Blue Bell creates a taste so sweet it tricks your brain into wanting more than you should have.  A creamier natural ice cream (due to better milk/cream and pure cane sugar) feels more indulgent causing you to want less.

So to me, it makes me wonder if the chemicals used create an artificial smoke taste that makes a person addicted to the KB charcoal.

Offline steve0617

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 09:29:10 PM »
KB has chemicals as a binder and additives creating effectively an artificial smoke taste.  Yes there is plenty of real smoke flavor in KB because it is still predominately wood charcoal but the burning of artificial ingredients onto your meat is going to create flavor too. 

Stubbs does not have this because it is purely wood derived charcoal and corn starch as a binder.  The grease fog flavor tastes more like a pure charcoal taste. 

For most people, this taste difference is not going to be a big deal.  And both brands create fantastic food. 

I myself, try to eliminate as many artificial ingredients from my diet.  I was a KB user on the PBC for over a year of owning the PBC.  I was afraid to try others because Noah's instructions have been full proof for me.  But after learning about Stubbs and Royal Oak being all natural, and trying both, Stubbs is now my new go to charcoal.

I liken it to ice cream.  I used to LOVE Blue Bell Ice Cream.  Even before their recall I quit eating it because it is predominantly artificial ingredients used to create color, taste, and texture.  Switching to an all natural ice cream has a more subtle yet rich taste.  It may not taste as sweet, but you don't need it to be as sweet because the sweetness is all natural.  The artificial flavor from Blue Bell creates a taste so sweet it tricks your brain into wanting more than you should have.  A creamier natural ice cream (due to better milk/cream and pure cane sugar) feels more indulgent causing you to want less.

So to me, it makes me wonder if the chemicals used create an artificial smoke taste that makes a person addicted to the KB charcoal.

Excellent info. Thanks!
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »
Hello all this is great info

I have been using only kingsford blue in pbc. I do have some Stubbs left over and was wondering if I could use the lighter fluid method to start?

Think I could use same times for starting as with KBB ?

Thanks again

Chris
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline kenafein

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
I stock up on KBB when it's on sale in the double packs, but my favorite charcoal has been the Trader Joe's brand(They only sell it in summer).  I've heard good things about B&B(supposedly 10-12 hours in a PBC), but I can't find any.  All the stores on their website, near me, don't stock it.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Traeger Jr (w/ mods)
Weber OTG
Blackstone Pizza Oven
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber Genesis Silver(from the dawn of gas grilling)
Wish List: RecTec, To finish a UDS, Slow N Sear, GrillGrates

Offline amshepar

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »
Hello all this is great info

I have been using only kingsford blue in pbc. I do have some Stubbs left over and was wondering if I could use the lighter fluid method to start?

Think I could use same times for starting as with KBB ?

Thanks again

Chris

I use the lighter fluid method only.  No change for in times or prep for me.  I let it go for 20 minutes with a full basket and they are ready.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »

Now ;D...First - I want you to know that this question is not to "take you to task" - nor is it meant to make you feel you must defend your comment, or that I intend it to be argumentative. Absolutely not -  I am only curious. Like you - I try to eliminate "artificial" in my diet as I reasonably can....So:

Do you think that the ingredients in lighter fluid are more natural than the borax binder in KBB? And - for the record I use a little KBB, but - mostly Prefer the natural hardwood lump charcoals as well. Sometimes I will mix the 2 kinds to moderate temps and burn times - or to use up partial bags of either.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline PongGod

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 09:29:47 PM »
I've been using Kingsford Competition briquettes for quite awhile and have had no issues. I like the fact that it's all natural, but far more uniform than natural lump charcoal.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline amshepar

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 02:21:25 PM »

Now ;D...First - I want you to know that this question is not to "take you to task" - nor is it meant to make you feel you must defend your comment, or that I intend it to be argumentative. Absolutely not -  I am only curious. Like you - I try to eliminate "artificial" in my diet as I reasonably can....So:

Do you think that the ingredients in lighter fluid are more natural than the borax binder in KBB? And - for the record I use a little KBB, but - mostly Prefer the natural hardwood lump charcoals as well. Sometimes I will mix the 2 kinds to moderate temps and burn times - or to use up partial bags of either.

You are propbably right but I assume there to be less total chemicals in the amount of lighter fluid I use vs. 8lbs of briquettes.  And if eliminating as much as possible I'm at least eliminating one of the two chemically derived products.  I'm by no means perfect, as I've been known to take back an oreo or two, and some skittles on occasion, both of which are basically pure chemicals.  But 95% of the time or more I try not to use artificial ingredients.

Offline BBQBrit

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »
Loved this thread - i have been thinking about experimenting in my PBC with different charcoal - still relatively new to the world of smoking so i stuck to Noah's recommendations - will definitely be using some of the suggestions here!

Offline amshepar

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
After switching to Stubbs I haven't looked back.  It really makes a difference IMO.