Author Topic: PBC Ribs  (Read 3634 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
PBC Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:36:50 AM »
Been really busy this Fall and my last chance to really get some BBQing in before Thanksgiving.  Wanted to get some Ribs in while I could.  Rubbed the St. Louis style ribs on saturday, wrapped them and kept in the fridge overnight.  Unwrapped them first thing in the morning, and allowed to air dry in the fridge until I fired up the PBC at 120p.  I filled the basket with apple wood (it's fall ;) ) and Kingsford Blue, one rebar in diagonal, and corked the empty two holes. 

Ribs hit the pit at 150p and the temps bounced between 235-248F.  I wanted to keep an eye on the temperatures because of how cold it was outside Sunday (hoovered around 50), there was one spike in temperature to 275F for about 30-45 minutes, I just made sure the lid was secured and hoped it didn't climb much higher.  At 430 I removed the flap on the back side and end tip of the ribs that I hung as a chef's treat, and checked on the ribs.  They were coming along nicely, but not ready to be sauce.  At 545p I sauced and rehung the ribs.  At 615 I resauced and hung the ribs, then pulled them at 650, and let rest in my oven that I turned on the warm setting, then turned off before place the ribs in there to rest, no foil

After 20 minutes, I cut the ribs and they were perfect doneness.  My wife loved them saying they were the best I have made, and sorry no picture of the perfect bite marks, my hands were too dirty to use my new phone for pictures.

Ribs and chef's treat hanging after the first 20 minutes while I got my phone (steam from the meat).  Smoke was mostly blue steam, that evaporated almost immediately upon exiting the barrel, the way the blue smoke dissipates from the end of a smoker.

Before saucing:

Sliced, hard to see, but a beautiful smoke ring formed.

I don't like to toot my own horn, but I was very impressed with myself.  Color on the phone looks darker than in person, but it was a perfect deep red mahogany that people love.  Sorry, it is just hard for me to even acknowledge a job well done cooking wise.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Re: PBC Ribs
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Those look fantastic.

I've gotten pretty good at dialing in the PBC at 225-235 degrees with bits of foil around three of the rebar rods...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:16 AM »
They look great - very nice cook!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:29:02 AM »
Hey, a proud dog wags his own tail,.......and I can feel the breeze all the way over here  ;)

Darn good looking ribs. 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »
Nice rack!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
Very good !!!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:27:23 PM »
Very nice ribs!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »
Very nice colour and it looks very very very  moist .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 08:07:52 AM »
Akruckus ..... What an amazing idea ..... "One rebar on the diagonal". Been having hit and miss success on my chicken halves when I read your post.  This is brilliant.  It kept my 4 halves directly over the hottest portion of the fire.  I didn't cork the two holes and temps held at 320+/- for the entire 2.5 hour cook when my igrill finally hit 175.  Tender and juicy with crispy skin.  Thanks you're a genius! :)

Offline RAD

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Great looking rack
Love to cook and eat

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
How much apple did you use  ? I assume they were chunks.
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 12:11:56 PM »
Akruckus ..... What an amazing idea ..... "One rebar on the diagonal". Been having hit and miss success on my chicken halves when I read your post.  This is brilliant.  It kept my 4 halves directly over the hottest portion of the fire.  I didn't cork the two holes and temps held at 320+/- for the entire 2.5 hour cook when my igrill finally hit 175.  Tender and juicy with crispy skin.  Thanks you're a genius! :)

I don't know about genius but I'll take it!

They were chunks and I want to say it about about 33% wood 66% charcoal.  I know I used more this time than in the past to give more of a wood flavor that I would normally get on an offset.  Next time I make ribs I will try to remember to take a picture of the basket.  Really depends on the 1pm ET football games.  If the Steelers are on TV (rarity living outside of Philadelphia), I run in and out during commercials.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »

I don't know about genius but I'll take it!

They were chunks and I want to say it about about 33% wood 66% charcoal.  I know I used more this time than in the past to give more of a wood flavor that I would normally get on an offset.  Next time I make ribs I will try to remember to take a picture of the basket.  Really depends on the 1pm ET football games.  If the Steelers are on TV (rarity living outside of Philadelphia), I run in and out during commercials.

I was thinking of trying a 50% ratio to get a more  offset flavor using wood. Looking forward  to  your next cook,be sure to post pictures.
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline DonR9

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
When all else fails, read the post! I wondered how you kept the PBC at so low a temp. Then,t hanks to one of the replies which referenced how, I read the entire post. Rebar on the diagonal with the other two holes corked. Genius. Thanks for the tip!
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »
You did a great job cooking the ribs and they look fabulous AK!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker