Author Topic: Thanksgiving Whole Turkey On PBC ?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Thanksgiving Whole Turkey On PBC ?
« Reply #-1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
Anyone done a whole turkey yet (i.e. 12lb. ~ 16lb.) on the PBC ? ... PBC website does not have a recipe that I could see/find .
I'm thinking to inject it then coat with a rub ... Then decide whether to hang it whole or place the whole turkey on the grill rack traditional way (breast side up) ... Your thoughts and better yet - experieces ?

Offline PapaBob

Re: Thanksgiving Whole Turkey On PBC ?
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »
Chris....I've done several 13+ pound turkeys.  Always 24 hour brine using traditional apple honey brine recipe.  After taking out of brine and rinsing, I let it dry to form a bit of a pelicle.  The first time I hung it and caught it before it fell.  After that I use the rack.  2 hours breast side down and then flip it or the next 3 hours.  I don't use rub but I do spray with oil to make the skin crispy.  I use some apple smoke chips and stuff the cavity with rosemary and thyme.  Try to keep your temp about 275.  It will come out spectacular and as juicy as the signature chicken.  Happy Thnksgiving!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Haven't done one yet, but here is Noah's video from 4 years ago:

Lots of good info.

Mike
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline scottv

Thanksgiving Whole Turkey On PBC ?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:47:40 AM »
I've cooked several turkeys and one even near 20 pounds. They come out great, I hung everyone of them breast side down and seasoned them the night before. I didn't bother brining any of them. I cooked them to temp and they were all moist throughout and I was surprised how far the seasoning, smoke and "fog" penetrated the meat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:53:18 AM »
Whole turkeys come out great. Just practice mounting it and unmounting it from the re-bar before you fire up the coals. It is a tad bit tricky. When I remove the cooked turkey, I just grab the re-bar and take everything out at once....easy peasy.......

I have had my PBC for darn near 4 years and I still go back to the PBC videos  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies !
Presentation wise , I would prefer to hang on 4 hooks breast side down - but beast side up on the rack should also be good I would think (definately safer from falling - as long as rebar rods fit !)

I just bought a new orange bucket (with lid) from a big box store for brining a whole turkey - I also have an injector which might be good as well to get flavor in deep .

Besides Kingsford Blue Bag I have experimented with lump charcoal (alone or mixed with Kingsford) as well as adding a chunk or two of smoking wood ... For a turkey , I'm inclined to go with just Kingsford Blue Bag and a couple of chunks of Apple or  Pecan . *Most important for a big meat  , fairly long cook would be to fill the charcoal pan full , get a good even greying of the charcoal (with the lid on) - then add the turkey with a remote temp probe in the breast .

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Spices Inc. makes a wonderful turkey brine concoction...check it out

http://www.spicesinc.com/p-4051-turkey-brine-seasoning.aspx
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:24:51 PM »
Just out of curiosity (since I no longer own a PBC), does anyone know why they took the video recipe off the website? At least they left it on YouTube. That video guided my first PBC cook and it was excellent.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity (since I no longer own a PBC), does anyone know why they took the video recipe off the website? At least they left it on YouTube. That video guided my first PBC cook and it was excellent.

Guess I haven't looked in awhile - didn't realize it... no idea why, was very successful for me.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
I noticed this on the PBC video page: If you miss the old videos or just can’t get enough of everything PBC, pay a visit to the PBC Vault for more!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
Once again, The Smoke to the rescue. Thanks, Bud!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:58 PM »
Once again, The Smoke to the rescue. Thanks, Bud!

The Smoke is always ready to help  8) 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:43 PM »
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill