Author Topic: Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)  (Read 7421 times)

Offline steve0617

Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)
« Reply #-1 on: November 04, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
Just got the turkey hanger today. I've always brined my two turkeys, one in the oven (Alton Brown's 500 degree then drop to 350 recipe) and one in the Cookshack electric smoker. Since I'm moving the oven one to the PBC this year, I'm concerned with brining and hanging it in that the extra liquid might put out the coals.

Since this turkey hanger is brand new, anybody want to venture a guess? I know there are several threads here on past 4 hook hung turkeys or ones guys did on the rack, but wondering if hanging/brining is a bad idea with the extra liquid smothering the charcoal.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline Hub

I've been trying to decide whether to get the hanger, so I'm keeping an eye out for those who try it.

Since this is new territory for us PBC owners, I'd drop Noah and line and see what he says.  In the short video all he does is toss a little rub on it.  I haven't watched the long one yet (new, I think, now that the hanger has come out)

As long as you dry off the bird following brining so that it isn't flowing and awash in brine that might dampen the coals, I don't think a brined turkey would "drip" that much more than an unbrined one.  Processed birds like Butterball brand and a few others are already heavily injected with tenderizers and moisturizers and are going to do some flowing of the juices.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
I got no dog in this fight but, like our far more experienced compadre Hub, I'm not sure wet-brining an already-processed turkey adds enough fluid to make all that much difference.  Dry-brining might be also be an option.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
Just received my PBC hanger today - will pick up a turkey tomorrow and let it get ready for the weekend (I hope... :) ) Really looking forward to trying this method.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline steve0617

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 07:10:43 PM »
Will be interested to hear those that are testing prior to Thanksgiving.

Maybe rather than risking it, I'll dry brine it this year. It's the 2nd turkey anyway, and since I can get a bigger one that the 10lbs or so I'm limited to in the Cookshack (too small otherwise), maybe I'll experiment with dry brining.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:50:29 PM »
Because typical "grocery store" turkeys are pressure brined already - you may benefit more by applying marinade in a paste like form, and allow the turkey to sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours prior to cooking.

If you can acquire a "fresh" turkey ( meaning one that has not been pressure brined or injected with a brining solution ) then a wet brine will be effective. Most often the fresh turkeys will be available on an order basis only - so talk to your local butcher, or vendors at your farmers market.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline steve0617

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:15 PM »
Because typical "grocery store" turkeys are pressure brined already - you may benefit more by applying marinade in a paste like form, and allow the turkey to sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours prior to cooking.

If you can acquire a "fresh" turkey ( meaning one that has not been pressure brined or injected with a brining solution ) then a wet brine will be effective. Most often the fresh turkeys will be available on an order basis only - so talk to your local butcher, or vendors at your farmers market.

I've been ordering Red Bird turkeys from my local grocery store the last few years. They claim no injection/brine and I've wet brined them the last few years. Never was salty in the end.

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:48:37 AM »
I always brine turkeys. 24 hours in brine of choice. Remove, pat dry.  I then coat with a little olive oil and all purpose rub and put back in the fridge on a rack overnight to get a bit of a pelicle.  Never have a problem with the brine affecting the coals but it usually takes about an hour longer than with no brining.  Good luck.

Offline steve0617

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
I always brine turkeys. 24 hours in brine of choice. Remove, pat dry.  I then coat with a little olive oil and all purpose rub and put back in the fridge on a rack overnight to get a bit of a pelicle.  Never have a problem with the brine affecting the coals but it usually takes about an hour longer than with no brining.  Good luck.

And you've hung them with the 4 hooks? Or set the turkey on the rack? Do you have a rule of thumb regarding cooking time? I fully accept 'it's done when it's done,' but a ballpark so I can plan on when to put the turkey on would be helpful. Noah's video has such a huge time range for how long it takes that it isn't helpful.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 10:39:59 AM »

And you've hung them with the 4 hooks? Or set the turkey on the rack? Do you have a rule of thumb regarding cooking time? I fully accept 'it's done when it's done,' but a ballpark so I can plan on when to put the turkey on would be helpful. Noah's video has such a huge time range for how long it takes that it isn't helpful.

Elevation is a big part of cooking times.  Higher elevation less oxygen, lower combustion rate and lower temperatures.  Have you measured what your average temperature of the barrel when you do your cooks?
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline steve0617

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:01 AM »

Elevation is a big part of cooking times.  Higher elevation less oxygen, lower combustion rate and lower temperatures.  Have you measured what your average temperature of the barrel when you do your cooks?

I'm just looking for a ballpark. I live about 60 miles from Noah and Amber and so far, even with an email she replied to, I haven't gotten a good handle on 'x pounds should reasonably take x hours.'

EDIT: The video for the hanger says 'Cook time: 3.5-7 Hrs' That's too general for me to be able to plan when to put the turkey in.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:33:40 AM by steve0617 »

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
We are teaching a turkey class this weekend.  Our turkey hangers are coming today.  I'm brining four  14lb birds to hang. Should be fun. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:12:23 PM »

I'm just looking for a ballpark. I live about 60 miles from Noah and Amber and so far, even with an email she replied to, I haven't gotten a good handle on 'x pounds should reasonably take x hours.'

EDIT: The video for the hanger says 'Cook time: 3.5-7 Hrs' That's too general for me to be able to plan when to put the turkey in.

I agree that time frame helps no one, but if you PBC runs at say 325F I'm sure they are turkey charts on Time/LB at that temperature. Same if you roast it at 300F to help give you a ball park. (I am assuming here, my father-in-law fries our turkey so everything is on him for cook times, I just need to worry about cooking everything else)
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
We are teaching a turkey class this weekend.  Our turkey hangers are coming today.  I'm brining four  14lb birds to hang. Should be fun.
Looking forward to hearing about your results!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »

I agree that time frame helps no one, but if you PBC runs at say 325F I'm sure they are turkey charts on Time/LB at that temperature. Same if you roast it at 300F to help give you a ball park. (I am assuming here, my father-in-law fries our turkey so everything is on him for cook times, I just need to worry about cooking everything else)

I agree....There are a number of on-line time/temperature charts and graphs....The reason to the wide timeframe is partially due to how the individual runs his pit  temp, and the size of the bird also contributes to length of the cook.
This is why we prefer to cook to Internal Temperature rather than time. But, I certainly understand that you need to narrow it down as much as you can.
That....and remind your guests "It's done when it's done" :D ( It helps if you ply them with  adult beverages too! ;) )
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401