Author Topic: Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)  (Read 7386 times)

Offline steve0617

Re: Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »

I agree that time frame helps no one, but if you PBC runs at say 325F I'm sure they are turkey charts on Time/LB at that temperature. Same if you roast it at 300F to help give you a ball park. (I am assuming here, my father-in-law fries our turkey so everything is on him for cook times, I just need to worry about cooking everything else)

I agree....There are a number of on-line time/temperature charts and graphs....The reason to the wide timeframe is partially due to how the individual runs his pit  temp, and the size of the bird also contributes to length of the cook.
This is why we prefer to cook to Internal Temperature rather than time. But, I certainly understand that you need to narrow it down as much as you can.
That....and remind your guests "It's done when it's done" :D ( It helps if you ply them with  adult beverages too! ;) )

I always do the meat by temp, but a ballpark so I know when to start paying attention to the internal temps would be helpful.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline Code4code5

Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
I hung a 14 pounder on Sunday using hooks, and the bird was done in 3:15. I'm about 40 minutes from Strasburg as well.

Edit: I pulled it at 163 in the breast. Everything was cooked perfectly all 'round the bird. I just ordered my turkey hangers and am planning to do two 12-14 pounders for turkey day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
You could do this,plan on 7 hours and if earlier just pull it and let it sit.Chef Ramsey lets his birds sit for hours after cooking.Says its the only proper way to do a bird,in his opinion.I saw one he did,then served with hot gravy over the slices when served.
If you do this,look him up and make sure you do it right regarding food temp safety.

Some advice here....

http://shelflifeadvice.com/content/yikes-turkey-done-guests-are-delayed-how-do-i-keep-my-thanksgiving-dinner-warm

Could also do a trial run and see how long,turkey is good not on TG day too! :)

Oh oh!Get that wireless thermometer talked about on here,dang but thats NICE for monitoring temps.Wont regret that purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANCXJR6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Ivation Long Range Wireless Thermometer - Dual Probe - Remote BBQ, Smoker, Grill, Oven, Meat Thermometer - Monitors Food From Up To 300 Feet Away
by Ivation

Price:    $59.99 & FREE Shipping. Details

Long Range Wireless receiver with lcd beeps and flashes when meat temperature goes above your programmed temperature
    Monitor barbecue temperature; receiver beeps and flashes if temperature falls above or below your programmed range
    Receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 farenheit
    Count up and Count down timer
    Lcd of receiver has back light for use at night

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:11:52 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
I always do the meat by temp, but a ballpark so I know when to start paying attention to the internal temps would be helpful.

And that is a valid point. Thus - the time/temperature charts such as:  http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blturkey7.htm  or  http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--910/turkey-cooking-times.asp can give you some broad guideline for time at given temperature.

And FWIW - the link that Spuds mentioned is for a private labeled Maverick 732 if you want to shop for those  there are a few companies that private label them. There are a couple of newer models as well. I use the # 732 - but specifically with the 6 ft. leads not he probes. Makes a difference in the ability to set the unit away from the heat - thus extending the life of the temperature sending unit.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »
A non PBC owner here, BUT, have cooked a LOT of turkeys over the years--grill racks, rotisseries, you name it with charcoal.    Always cook to temp, BUT, at about 300-325 temp have found it amounts to right at 15-20 minutes/lb.    In the SRG it only takes about 10-12, IF it's high enough in the cooker.    Hope this helps you.   AND, is using charcoal, put a drip pan underneath it with water in it.  Helps keep the turkey moist and then you can use the drippings for gravy!    I use an aluminum baking pan, as deep as I can get for the size of the turkey.   Keeps the charcoal out, too, if it's deep enough

Offline spuds

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 10:00:58 PM »
Super idea saving those drippings,thanks,will do.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 10:33:42 PM »
A non PBC owner here, BUT, have cooked a LOT of turkeys over the years--grill racks, rotisseries, you name it with charcoal.    Always cook to temp, BUT, at about 300-325 temp have found it amounts to right at 15-20 minutes/lb.    In the SRG it only takes about 10-12, IF it's high enough in the cooker.    Hope this helps you.   AND, is using charcoal, put a drip pan underneath it with water in it.  Helps keep the turkey moist and then you can use the drippings for gravy!    I use an aluminum baking pan, as deep as I can get for the size of the turkey.   Keeps the charcoal out, too, if it's deep enough

Sounds like a good idea...just trying to figure out where we could place a pan under a turkey hung vertically in the PBC......
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Safe to brine and hang a turkey in the PBC (coals won't go out?)
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 05:22:05 PM »

I hung a 14 pounder on Sunday using hooks, and the bird was done in 3:15. I'm about 40 minutes from Strasburg as well.

Edit: I pulled it at 163 in the breast. Everything was cooked perfectly all 'round the bird. I just ordered my turkey hangers and am planning to do two 12-14 pounders for turkey day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to do 2 smaller birds as well. You can try different seasoning /technique
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
For the class I hung a 13lb brined turkey.  Started at 1400 and finished (170 in breast) at 1625.  Cooked one on the kamado and one on the jim bowie and one on the pit barrel cooker. 

1st = PBC
2nd = kamado
3rd = jim bowie

The Pit barrel cooker turkey was very very juicy.  I used chicken savior and maple syrup on the turkeys.  Stuffed with onions.  Chicken savior was outstanding on turkeys.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline spuds

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 03:21:12 AM »

Sounds like a good idea...just trying to figure out where we could place a pan under a turkey hung vertically in the PBC......
x2? I'd like your pan solution too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:49:16 AM by spuds »