Author Topic: Tester turkey with new turkey hanger-PIC HEAVY  (Read 2385 times)

Offline steve0617

Tester turkey with new turkey hanger-PIC HEAVY
« Reply #-1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:50:44 PM »
Did a 13lb Kroeger cheapy turkey this past Sunday night ($.99 a lb). 8% preinjected. Thawed for a week, dry brined with 7 tsp of Diamond Kosher salt Sat night into Sun. Pics below of what happens from dry brining. Skin definitely tightens up. If you're going to put butter or a rub manually under the breast skin (not an injection), I'd strongly recommend you stretch the skin before you dry brine.

Rubbed with 2 TB of the Simon and Garfunkel wet rub recipe from Amazingribs.com under the skin and the rest on skin, then injected the breast with unsalted butter. Into the PBC after 20 mins for the Kingsford blue coals to get going (I'm in Denver at 5600ft) and hung with the new turkey hanger. No wood added. Took 4 hours to cook (more later).

Some thoughts....

1. The turkey hanger makes it incredibly easy to cook a bird. Neck down/butt up and it worked perfectly. How this PBC doesn't burn the ever living crap out of meat that's right over the coal basket I'll never understand. But the breasts were juicy. Wings were good. Nothing torched.

2. Injecting the breasts was HUGE mistake for the PBC with a vertical hang. Within 30 seconds of the lid on, the butter that had stiffened because of the cold bird warmed up and started gushing out and sizzling the brand new coals. I'm positive I killed the temps and that introduced too much grease fog.

3. Probe in breast seemingly jumped to 120 degrees in no time but did level off and then seemed to work like you'd think.

4. After 3 1/4 hours, decided to crack the lid to both hurry it along and crisp the skin. Pulled it at 4 hours when breast was about 155-160 depending on where I Thermapenned. Thighs were 175+ or so. Coals got going again and that helped but I'm sure my temps were too low in the beginning.

5. Rested for a half hour as the sides weren't getting done as fast as the recipe said. Damn brussel sprouts.

Like I mentioned, meat was juicy. Not salty at all even though I dry brined an injected bird. But there was a definite grease fog taste that I seem to like in ribs and a brisket I've done, but I didn't care for in turkey. I also used WAY too much rub and that just overpowered the turkey. Reading some other chicken threads here, it seems the coals did get snuffed a bit in the beginning from the dripping butter and that most likely contributed to the grease taste.

But the hanger worked perfectly. But I'm not 100% sure I'm going to use the PBC for Thanksgiving. Bought the Slow N Sear for the Weber and may give that a shot.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:57:28 PM by steve0617 »
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline Pappymn

Tester turkey with new turkey hanger-PIC HEAVY
« on: November 19, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
Great post. Not a PBC owner so I can't comment
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Tester turkey with new turkey hanger-PIC HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
Well, poultry is a sponge for smoke. The turkey sure looks good. I kinda prefer my poultry cooked in the oven these days.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:21:22 AM »
Thanks Steve.I usually make a butter,cilantro spread for under the skin,I'll go light on it.Also going to keep my temps up.

Thanks for the advice,much appreciated.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:04:29 AM »
Looks tasty.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
Wow that looks like a good turkey. You said you killed the coals...I think that might have caused to much grease fog. I have had good luck letting it run for about 15 or 20 minutes  after putting the lid on . This gives it time to get a good hot fire ...also I wouldn't put anything in the PBC cold.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:17:16 AM »
Looks good
I am doing a thanksgiving turkey in PBC this year as well.
Trying to figure out if the butter under skin or injection is better.

My crowd likes the Cajun bird I usually do in fryer, so I want to try maybe a creole butter under skin.

Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated

Cheers

Chris
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline viscera912

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
nice write up, appreciate the details and pics!!!!