Author Topic: Why a turkey hanger?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Stratmeister

Why a turkey hanger?
« Reply #-1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:06:08 PM »
I guess I'm too new to my PBC but why use a turkey hanger? Why not just put it on the grate? Doesn't it cook by convection, so position of the bird doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Offline tn_5568

Re: Why a turkey hanger?
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:52:56 AM »
2 big turkeys could be hung at once or a turkey hanging and other food sitting on the grate if you have a cut or hinged grate. Much smaller footprint when hung vertically.

Offline amshepar

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »
I cooked a turkey previously on using the old 4 hook hanging method.  This year I bought the turkey hanger.  It's a game changer how easy it is to use.

Haven't tried the grate because I never thought there was enough room.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 03:35:34 PM »
I would say less chance of the bird falling when using the hanger vs the hooks.  I would also say size of the bird plays a part when cooking on the grate.  I haven't done a turkey or a full intact bird, however based on using the PBC and seeing other cooks on the PBC that would be my assumption. We all know what happens when you assume though... ;)
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline DonR9

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »
Another thing about using the grate is that the rebars take up vertical space. As a work around, you can partially plug the rebar holes with 1/4 inch bolts – something I've done successfully in the past
Citizen of the world, wine connoisseur, husband. I may be spreading myself too thin

Offline Stratmeister

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »
As far as vertical space, can I simply drill 3 holes for sort stainless bolts/nuts to rest the grate on lower?

I guess I'm just making sure there's no particular reason a hanger works better that resting on the grate. I figured convection cooking would be the same no matter where the item was placed. Thanks.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:35 PM »
Just a guess but it would seem a vertically hanging turkey would allow any juices to drain/evaporate pretty much instantaneously instead of collecting (at least for a while) in the cavity of a horizontal bird. Not sure if this would matter one way or the other (unless you need the drippings for gravy) but it's the law (gravity, that is).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
So much easier with the hook. A big Turkey might be a bit smooshed on the grate and you don't have to do any turning..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Just a guess but it would seem a vertically hanging turkey would allow any juices to drain/evaporate pretty much instantaneously instead of collecting (at least for a while) in the cavity of a horizontal bird. Not sure if this would matter one way or the other (unless you need the drippings for gravy) but it's the law (gravity, that is).

Oddly - the vertical positioning of the turkey does not allow it to dry out, or even be less juicy. I think that one contributing factor is the flue or chimney effect that seems to take place. The hollow cavity of the bird now being vertical - allows for the heat to rise thru it - heating the bird not just on the outside but - now equally cooking from the inside as well as the outside. Faster cooking ...without raising the temperature yields the retention of more moisture. It really works well.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »

Oddly - the vertical positioning of the turkey does not allow it to dry out, or even be less juicy. I think that one contributing factor is the flue or chimney effect that seems to take place. The hollow cavity of the bird now being vertical - allows for the heat to rise thru it - heating the bird not just on the outside but - now equally cooking from the inside as well as the outside. Faster cooking ...without raising the temperature yields the retention of more moisture. It really works well.

Makes since to me, but was just wondering how that would compare to cutting the turkey in half and hanging two halves.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:02:28 PM »

Makes since to me, but was just wondering how that would compare to cutting the turkey in half and hanging two halves.

I would expect that the cutting the turkey in half and hanging it would cook the same as a chicken done the same way ( my favorite way to cook chickens BTW...) except- that the turkey, being much longer - may be too close tot he fire - and the drumsticks may become done too fast. Worth a try - I have not done it...but that is just my guess.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »
Since getting my PBC, I have really enjoyed NOT having a grate to clean. The hooks, and even the turkey hangar, are much easier to clean than any grate that's had meat on it for several hours.
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
Since getting my PBC, I have really enjoyed NOT having a grate to clean. The hooks, and even the turkey hangar, are much easier to clean than any grate that's had meat on it for several hours.

Have to agree
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:56 PM »

True...

But - If you have a gas grill that will accommodate your grate for your PBC - try putting it in there- turn he gasser on high - and leave it for an hour or more. The gunk will become ash - and it will be easily blown or wiped off.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline kenafein

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
I was suspect of the hangers too, since Noah cuts his chickens in half, and I've always found that way or butterflying does amazing things for birds(and I only cook small turkeys).  I didn't have enough time to order a hanger from PBC for this thanksgiving, so I just cut my turkeys in half.  They turned out great, but i am still curious about the hanger.  I may pick one up. 
Pit Barrel Cooker
Traeger Jr (w/ mods)
Weber OTG
Blackstone Pizza Oven
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber Genesis Silver(from the dawn of gas grilling)
Wish List: RecTec, To finish a UDS, Slow N Sear, GrillGrates