Author Topic: Question about brisket  (Read 2833 times)

Offline joobacca

Question about brisket
« Reply #-1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »
Hey folks!

I've done about three brisket cooks on the PBC since I've gotten it and so far the results have been amazing! My first brisket was a 17lb full packer that I tried hanging whole, but the flat ended up touching the coals, so I chopped off the flat to use for other applications. The second brisket was a 15lb full packer that I cut the flat off, to again, use for other applications. My third brisket was a 13lb full packer and it was done on the grill grate from start to finish, no wrap.

I'm new to the smoking world, so I was wondering what I should be expecting from the flat of the brisket. The first two briskets I did were wrapped in foil after the stall (around 160-165F) and then finished on the grill grate until they hit an internal temp of 203 and 208 respectively. The last brisket I cooked unwrapped all the way through, horizontally on the grill grate. In all cases, the flat was definitely more "dry" or "tough" than the fatty part of the point. I know this is to be expected, but how different should the cuts be?

All full packers were purchased at Costco and were USDA Prime grade ($3.99, $2.99 and $2.85/lb... a steal!). I have a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the point and try to keep the point of the probe away from deckle (not sure if it matters). I also use a thermopop to measure temps once I near the final cooking temp of 203F or so, but use it mainly to see how easily it slides through the meat. The points have always been like butter and usually the flats aren't too far off. The third cook, on the grill grate and unwrapped, definitely felt very tough with readings between 203-208F.

Is this to be expected?

Sorry for the long post! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jason

Offline jjjonz

Re: Question about brisket
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »
I have never done a brisket on the PBC, I'm saving up to buy one though. lol I like this video on Aaron Franklin cooking a brisket on a offset, but I think it could be done on the PBC. Looks like his is tender all the way through.

Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline joobacca

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
Thanks jjjonz!

I've been watching all of Franklin's videos and so I figured I'd ask. Maybe it's a technique thing, not quite sure. I've had Franklin's BBQ and had both the fatty and lean brisket, and I'm definitely more of the point guy, but his videos does make the flat look very tender!

Guess I'll keep working on it! Next time I will try wrapping, but I was very happy with the bark I got without wrapping. It did take much longer to get a deep bark while cooking horizontally (I'm guessing due to the moisture that doesn't drip down while hanging).

Jason

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:44:24 PM »
If the flat is tough - it just needs more time on the grill. At that point, IT is not as important as the probe test. You want it to slide in and out with almost not resistance. Flats do not have the fat that the point does - so - they will not be as moist as the point .

But - after cooking a packer - and getting the point to the degree of doneness that you desire - try adding a little beer tithed with beef broth and a small splash ( 1-2 tbs...?) of apple cider vinegar to a foil pouch that you place the flat into.el it up - and put it back on the grill. Check it again in 1hour.

Hope that helps!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
Thanks jjjonz!

I've been watching all of Franklin's videos and so I figured I'd ask. Maybe it's a technique thing, not quite sure. I've had Franklin's BBQ and had both the fatty and lean brisket, and I'm definitely more of the point guy, but his videos does make the flat look very tender!

Guess I'll keep working on it! Next time I will try wrapping, but I was very happy with the bark I got without wrapping. It did take much longer to get a deep bark while cooking horizontally (I'm guessing due to the moisture that doesn't drip down while hanging).

Jason

I have been to Austin several times, but I old bones just won't hold up to stand in line. lol  Ol Tee is right about the probe test....I do go by temp,but in the end it's the probe test. Franking has did it so many times he can sit 10 feet away and know when it's done.lol
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline amshepar

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »

I have been to Austin several times, but I old bones just won't hold up to stand in line. lol  Ol Tee is right about the probe test....I do go by temp,but in the end it's the probe test. Franking has did it so many times he can sit 10 feet away and know when it's done.lol
[/quote]

There was an article recently about a kid in highschool that is making money waiting in line for you at Franklin's.  You can always do that!  I know I would :).

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:15:04 PM »
i second that if the meat was tough it wasn't cooked long enough. ive taken a flat up to 212 before i thought it was done.  have fun with your pbc!!!

Offline kenafein

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:01 PM »
I am in the same boat with the PBC.  The briskets have been good, but I haven't achieved that meat jelly consistency that you see from those long low and slow cooks.  I spoke to Jerod on AmazingRibs and he feels that it's a function of time.  A long slow cook has more time to melt the collagen.  He also feels that when you cook hot and fast that the finished internal temperature of the brisket ends up being higher(205++ vs 195+).  I also give a good long rest of 2 hours, in a cooler, wrapped in towels, for my briskets and his tip was to slice flat as needed and not slice it all up at once, because it loses moisture.  This has proven true for me as I've sliced up a brisket for a platter and it was juicy at first and dried out fast.  I also save the au jus and pour it on the flat pieces.  I don't receive any complaints and it all gets woofed down, but I am looking to improve.  I think I'm going to try to lower the PBC temp by using fewer starting coals and trying to cook the brisket longer at 250 vs 300 on my next cook. 
Pit Barrel Cooker
Traeger Jr (w/ mods)
Weber OTG
Blackstone Pizza Oven
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber Genesis Silver(from the dawn of gas grilling)
Wish List: RecTec, To finish a UDS, Slow N Sear, GrillGrates

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:15 PM »
I am in the same boat with the PBC.  The briskets have been good, but I haven't achieved that meat jelly consistency that you see from those long low and slow cooks.  I spoke to Jerod on AmazingRibs and he feels that it's a function of time.  A long slow cook has more time to melt the collagen.  He also feels that when you cook hot and fast that the finished internal temperature of the brisket ends up being higher(205++ vs 195+).  I also give a good long rest of 2 hours, in a cooler, wrapped in towels, for my briskets and his tip was to slice flat as needed and not slice it all up at once, because it loses moisture.  This has proven true for me as I've sliced up a brisket for a platter and it was juicy at first and dried out fast.  I also save the au jus and pour it on the flat pieces.  I don't receive any complaints and it all gets woofed down, but I am looking to improve.  I think I'm going to try to lower the PBC temp by using fewer starting coals and trying to cook the brisket longer at 250 vs 300 on my next cook.

I agree completely - other than the last idea you have. Instead - try reducing the airflow thru the pit - to help lower the temperature.  You can plug the holes for the rebar using a wad of aluminum foil in each - and adjust the intake on the bottom of the side wall of the pit to allow a little less air in as well.

You can run a PBC at 200-225F with a little practice, and get the brisket as moist and tender as you like.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline kenafein

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »

I agree completely - other than the last idea you have. Instead - try reducing the airflow thru the pit - to help lower the temperature.  You can plug the holes for the rebar using a wad of aluminum foil in each - and adjust the intake on the bottom of the side wall of the pit to allow a little less air in as well.

You can run a PBC at 200-225F with a little practice, and get the brisket as moist and tender as you like.

Thanks for the tips.  I have blocked off holes with foil before to reduce temps, but I've had success running lower temperatures this way too.  Jerod, at AmazingRibs, says he uses magnets to block the vents.  Actually, when I do a chimney light the temps are consistently lower for me.  Lately, I've been trying to cook things hot(300-325) and been worried about getting enough air into the PBC, which is sometimes challenging and requires periodic offsetting of the lid.  Got any tips there?
Pit Barrel Cooker
Traeger Jr (w/ mods)
Weber OTG
Blackstone Pizza Oven
TEC Cherokee FR
Weber Genesis Silver(from the dawn of gas grilling)
Wish List: RecTec, To finish a UDS, Slow N Sear, GrillGrates