Author Topic: Country Ribs-First time  (Read 1746 times)

Offline PapaBob

Country Ribs-First time
« Reply #-1 on: July 10, 2016, 07:51:43 AM »
Going try some country ribs on the PBC today. Anyone have any "go to" recipes they'd like to share. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Re: Country Ribs-First time
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
How did they turn out?

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
Not so good I'm afraid.....left them on a little too long and they were touch.  Tasted great just tough.  Going to try again this weekend but am going to use your pork belly suggestion cause it think that might be the best approach for these.  Thanks so much for asking!  And as I've said, this machine is the greatest and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.  And thanks for serving your country!

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
Going try some country ribs on the PBC today. Anyone have any "go to" recipes they'd like to share. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

If you are going to try again, make sure these "ribs" are from the butt.  Sometimes they use other parts like the loin and they cook different.  Best to get a whole butt and ask the butcher to make pork steaks out of the bone section and ribs out of the rest (boneless country style ribs).    You can use any pork rub on your ribs and cook low and slow.  It is important to note that the IT you need will be about 145F to 160F depending on how tender you want the ribs.  If you cook higher, they will dry out. 

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:08 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I like to foil mine at the end. That really helps getting them tender.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline PapaBob

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 04:37:03 PM »
Thanks guys for the ideas. Am going to try them. Kinda disappointing since this was the first bad cook I've had on the PBC since I gat it. But not the pbc's fault.  All mine.  I just screwed up.  But that is why there is next weekend!  Thanks again.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 04:51:36 PM »

If you are going to try again, make sure these "ribs" are from the butt.  Sometimes they use other parts like the loin and they cook different.  Best to get a whole butt and ask the butcher to make pork steaks out of the bone section and ribs out of the rest (boneless country style ribs).    You can use any pork rub on your ribs and cook low and slow.  It is important to note that the IT you need will be about 145F to 160F depending on how tender you want the ribs.  If you cook higher, they will dry out.

I can tell you that all I've been seeing locally are butterflied and sliced pork loins.  Years ago it seemed like what we were getting was pieces of sliced Boston Butt.  Some bone-in, some boneless, but from the butt, not the loin. 

Two very different pieces of meant that do not react the same on the grill.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC