Author Topic: PBC cooking too hot it seems, Trying to figure it out.  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Pileofwood

PBC cooking too hot it seems, Trying to figure it out.
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »
"Please feel free to call us at the office and we can answer your questions! We do not recommend wood chunks since they burn much hotter and greatly increase the temperatures of the Pit Barrel Cooker. As recommended in the Troubleshooting Video on our website found under Video Recipes, we only recommend a handful of wood chips right before adding the food. We do not recommend using any accelerants when lighting the coals, unless you are using lighter fluid and that is just a quick douse to get them started. Getting the coals too hot too soon will result in less than desired outcomes. The coals should not be ashed over before the food goes into the PBC, this causes temps to be too high too soon and the coals will become exhausted to soon and the barrel temps will drop in the later part of the cook. The Pit Barrel Cooker, when properly lit and used, will average between 275 - 310F and the coals will last 7-8 hours. Deviation from our recommendations will produce different results. Please check out all the information on our website at www.pitbarrelcooker.com under Video Recipes and please call us with questions or concerns. The number is 502-228-1222."

Taken from the PBC flavor thread.

I too was having issues with my PBC. When I cooked ribs... They were done in an hour and a half/2 hours. And they were dry. I had the vent even less than a 1/4" open.  I was very disappointed with how they came out. I have made 6 rack of ribs (I did have 4 on at one time) with only one turning out just okay (I have high expectations but my guests loved them).

In the past I always used the 3-2-1 method on my COS. It just sucked fuel... I felt like I had to go through a half of bag of charcoal! Hence my excitement over the PBC. But I am not giving up... I just want to learn how to rock this little drum to perfection.

I have always added wood chunks (usually 2-3 chunks). This response above gets me excited. I will try my next batch without any wood. I hope that will keep the temp down lower so they can slowly cook and not flash fry my rack of ribs.

I have cooked 2 whole chickens and they turned out awesome... I also have cooked a pork shoulder with mild success. I put it in the PBC for 5 hours and it reached an inside temp of about 155-165 then I wrapped in foil and poured in apple juice and a vinegar mop sauce.  Cooked it wrapped in my webber performer (indirect heat) until it hit 195. Everything on the outside of the shoulder pulled apart very easily... but the inside inside really was tough. it didn't pull apart at all. Was this a case of not done enough or was it overly done? Any tips I can try to get these beautiful meats to tender, and juicy.

Elevation is 1900 feet my front flap like I said is almost closed.

Thanks!!!!

Meanwhile I will check out the thread... I am sure I am not the only one trying to dial this awesome cooker in.
"Wanna know how good a BBQ restaurant is? Take a look at the size of their woodpile."-- Big Bob Gibson

Pit barrel Cooker
Weber Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill 22"
Weber Kettle with Kettle Pizza Oven
Humphrey's Battle Box

Offline Kona

What lighting method are you using? I've always used lighter fluid and had past issues letting my coals get too hot before hanging my meat. After speaking with Noah I hang my meat at the 12 minute mark. I've had ribs done in 2 - 3 hours, every slab seems to be different but they have always been juicy and perfect tenderness. I also prep my meat with a dry brine overnight with kosher salt which adds moisture to the meat and then use a salt-less rub.

I just did only my second pork butt recently. I did a bone in boston butt, injected one day, dry brine the next then the third day rubbed and cooked. I wrapped it at 160 till it hit 195. I opened up the foil to drain the juice out into a pot then re-wrapped the meat in foil / towel and into a cooler for two hours. It shredded beautifully. I took the juice I drained, added a little of the bbq sauce I was using and some rub and poured that back into the shredded meat. It was outstanding.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: PBC cooking too hot it seems, Trying to figure it out.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:19:48 PM »
When in doubt, always give Noah or Amber a call and we are right after them to get you going  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »
We make ourselves readily available to answer any questions you may have. Most issues can be solved by following the lighting process and not waiting too long to add the food to the PBC.
Please feel free to contact us.

Offline NickyDeuce

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:41:44 PM »
  I am going to cut and paste from another forum I posted to about this same subject:

So I have always been a fan of ribs... Before I got in BBQ I had an awesome oven baked rib recipe that I used and loved them. Once I got my PBC, I loved everything that came off of it, but was always a little disappointed in my ribs. They just weren't as tender as I liked. (I should note, I know competition ribs should have a little pull to them, but I like my shit to come right off the bone.) I should also note that I always used baby backs, and did a modified 3 2 1 method, instead going for 2.5 hours on the hooks, 1.5 hours in foil, then 30 minutes sauced on the grate.
Cut to this past weekend, I decided to do an experiment. I bought 1 slab of baby backs and 1 slab of St. Louis Cut. I decided to change my cooking method to 2 hours, 1.5 hours, and 30 min. I also could not find any of my hooks, so instead of hanging them for the first part, I just had them on the grill grate.
I cut the membrane off, rubbed with mustard, then a medium coating of Famous Dave's Rib Rub (which I highly recommend). Started my charcoal in my chimney, let it go for 15 minutes, poured it in the barrel and tossed two good sized chunks of apple wood on top of the coals. I put the cover on the barrel and let it come to temp for about 10-15 minutes. I then placed the two racks on the grate and just let those bad boys go for 2 hours. After two hours, I wrapped in foil with a little bit of coca cola( a first for me, but I will definitely do it again.) Then I put them back on the grate for about 1.5 hours. Once time was up I removed the foil, put back on the grate , sauced them up liberally and put the cover on for about 30 more minutes.
I tell you all of this for one reason, they were the best BBQ ribs I have ever had. Not the best ones I have ever cooked, not the best ones I have ever BBQ'ed... The best f****** ribs I have ever had. I started with the baby backs and they were awesome, evenly cooked and just right tender. Then I got to the St. Louis.... Sweet Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! I could not believe how good these were. It was like the Pork Gods opened up the heavens and shined their almighty light upon me. They were really that good. I had 3 left over the next day and they were even better. I instantly told my wife to never buy baby backs again... This is now a St. Louis cut household!
TL/DR I cut my rib time down by about 45 min and switched to St. Louis style instead of baby backs and I'm never going back.
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
I will never do baby backs again. St. Louis has more fat and meat... fat = flavor. I haven't wrapped my ribs yet and I agree, the best ribs I have had have been the ones off my PBC. My co-workers said the same when I brought some in "these are the best ribs I have ever had". I don't like fall off the bone, I love a slight "bite" to mine...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC