Author Topic: Anyone use a water pan?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
Anyone use a water pan?
« Reply #-1 on: August 14, 2016, 12:09:05 AM »
Hey guys just curious if anyone ever sets a tray of liquid under on a lower Shelf in the PBC?  I use 3 cast smoker boxes as supports for a lower rack when I wanna throw a sear on in my PBC. That I way I don't  have to fire another cooker or heat source. I know I've read that some people use a liquid pan. I'm WELL aware that the PBC is a bad mofo and doesn't need it but I just thought I'd play around a lil bit and tray and add some other favors via aromatics and liquids. Anyone else tried it and have ideas, suggestions, or opinions?
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Anyone use a water pan?
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:48:53 AM »
Nope.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 07:58:28 AM »
Bear in mind that the process of adding a water pan would require that you design a pit to have enough BTU capacity to overcome the cooling effect of the steam coming off of the the water pan. And that would complicate the beautiful simplicity of the design of the PBC. And, I doubt that you will ever make anything in a PBC that is "dry"....

In other words...I don't think you would be happy with the results of adding a pan to a PBC. It just is not designed for that. But - the good news is - there are other ways to get the effects you may be seeking:

1. Injection - always a winner if the goal is to infuse specific flavors and to a lesser degree - aromas. Make whatever concoction you like - allow the ingredients to steep, or simmer them then chill the material to be injected to 40 degrees F or lower BEFORE use. Let's be safe here ;)
Now - there are some products that you want to use caution before injecting. Chief among them would be pineapple juice. Boil it first. If you don't - the enzyme in Pineapple juice called papain will break down the muscle fibers in meats if left uncooked for more than a couple of hours.

2.Brining or marinating - a more time consuming way to use the osmotic principles of fluid exchange between the ingredients in the brine or marinade - with those native to the meat. TIP: Brines really only work well if the given meat ( usually turkey or chicken in this case) has NOT been pre-brined by the facility that packaged the meat. Read the label's fine print to ascertain whether this is the case with what you are buying. As a general rule - when buying poultry at a typical grocery store - the birds are pre-brined unless noted otherwise. Please observe the same chilling temperature rules of keeping the Brine @ 40F or lower during the brining process.

Here is a link to some brining ideas:
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?board=30.0
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline FrugalQ

• B-TOWN INDIANA
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
I really hadn't thought about not having enough fire considering the energy used to steam the liquid.  However, I can get a good 3-4 hour burn out of about a 1/3 basket and full chimney lit.  You were right about the PBC never producing dry meat.  My goal wasn't improvement, just variety.  I definitely inject pretty regularly and usually go the meathead salt dry brine rout on most everything anymore.  More so for the ease of it as opposed to any improvements I have or have not seen over a wet brine. Love all the free advice being offered though. This group is the best. 
IF IT BLEEDS.. WE CAN GRILL IT!
Throw some on for me!

Weber Performer Deluxe Crimson (Hoo-Hoo--Hoosiers!!)
PBC
Pit Boss PB700FB
SNS+ w/DNG
GrillGrates
Vortex
Shun & Miyabi Cutlery
Inkbird
Broil King Regal 490 Pro (R.I.P.)
Red KitchenAid Pro (its the fastest)
InstantPot
Anova
Red Thermapen MK4

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »
The design of the PBC and UDS produce moisture so no reason for the pan. I used to have my UDS sitting on top of two splatter mats. When I would take the lid off the water would just run off.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »
The design of the PBC and UDS produce moisture so no reason for the pan. I used to have my UDS sitting on top of two splatter mats. When I would take the lid off the water would just run off.

Using PBC today to cook ribs after 1 hour I took off the lid to video there was so much steam that it steamed up the lens of the camera. No reason for a water pan  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL