Author Topic: Another Beef Rib Cook  (Read 2354 times)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Another Beef Rib Cook
« Reply #-1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:26:37 PM »
3 hours into my cook. Ribs were dry brined for 24 hours and then seasoned with Meat Church BBQ's Holy Gospel Limited
Edition. This rub is combination of their Holy Cow beef rub and their The Gospel which is an all purpose rub. I liked both of
those rubs separately but this combination rub is the bomb! Not too peppery and not too sweet! I am using the SnS and
the DnG as always. I am burningOriginal Natural Charcoal with a few chunks of oak wood.

4 hours unwrapped and 45 minutes wrapped and another 30 minutes unwrapped and the ribs are done!

No plated shots tonight! Ribs were mouthwatering tender and juicy with a great smoke profile!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Another Beef Rib Cook
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
Wow Mike!! Looks Awesome!  :thumbup:
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 11:44:19 PM »
Great looking bones.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 09:31:34 AM »
Mike,  Great looking beef bones there. Was wondering how do you like that charcoal? I bought a bag of the lump & thought it to be outstanding. Ordered another bag of it. Was wondering after you brine the ribs do you use oil before you season or just put the seasoning over the dry rib? I would like to get your feed back on this.
Also does brineing make the ribs dry but more flavorful? We dry brine chicken & other cuts.
Thanks,
Old grill goat
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:58 AM »
Mike,  Great looking beef bones there. Was wondering how do you like that charcoal? I bought a bag of the lump & thought it to be outstanding. Ordered another bag of it. Was wondering after you brine the ribs do you use oil before you season or just put the seasoning over the dry rib? I would like to get your feed back on this.
Also does brineing make the ribs dry but more flavorful? We dry brine chicken & other cuts.
Thanks,
Old grill goat

Hey Russ, good hearing from you again! I love this charcoal. I haven't tried the lump yet but will soon. I find the briquettes burn just as long, but a lot cleaner than Kingsford Blue. As far as dry brining goes. I normally will coat whatever I am cooking with a light touch of EVOO then season. Just the opposite about the ribs drying out with the dry brine. They seem to add moisture to the meat. Try it on some pork ribs or even a butt and you will see how juicy they turn out. I just use about 1/2 tsp of kosher salt per pound when I salt them. Actually I don't even measure the salt anymore. I put some in a shaker bottle and season them like I would season anything else after cooking. I was skeptical of this method until I tried it. I try to let whatever I am dry brining go for 24 hours before cooking. I wouldn't go over 48 hours as this maybe too much. Haven't tried that yet, but it is what I gather from the SnS Facebook group.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
Those look so good Mike.  Making me want to try some
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
Thanks,
Old grill goat

Hey Russ, good hearing from you again! I love this charcoal. I haven't tried the lump yet but will soon. I find the briquettes burn just as long, but a lot cleaner than Kingsford Blue. As far as dry brining goes. I normally will coat whatever I am cooking with a light touch of EVOO then season. Just the opposite about the ribs drying out with the dry brine. They seem to add moisture to the meat. Try it on some pork ribs or even a butt and you will see how juicy they turn out. I just use about 1/2 tsp of kosher salt per pound when I salt them. Actually I don't even measure the salt anymore. I put some in a shaker bottle and season them like I would season anything else after cooking. I was skeptical of this method until I tried it. I try to let whatever I am dry brining go for 24 hours before cooking. I wouldn't go over 48 hours as this maybe too much. Haven't tried that yet, but it is what I gather from the SnS Facebook group.

Thanks Mike,
I have some baby backs dry brining since last night. Gonna throw them on the Good One later today. I'll let you know if I like brining them ahead of time.
Russ
18.8 Weber one touch, 22.5 Weber Performer,18.5 WSM, Weber go anywhere, smoky joe Bronc smoker, med green egg, & PBC. Hasty Bake 414, The Good One Open Range.

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:10 PM »
 Those ribs look good.  Do  you decrease the salt in your rub after doing a salt brine?
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »
Those ribs look good.  Do  you decrease the salt in your rub after doing a salt brine?

Thanks! I go with a very low salt or no salt rub after the salt brine. The Holy Ghost rub as 180 mg per 1/4 tsp which is more than I usually use, but it didn't come out salty. I have been lately using CaribEque Beef Rub which has 45mg per 1/4 tsp of salt. I do use Memphis Dust (non salt) for ribs and butt or Big Bad Beef Rub which is also non salt for beef.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
 thanks for the info Mike,  I decrease the salt 50% for my rub on ribs,  and that is without a salt brine on the ribs.   if I do a salt brine, looks like it's no salt in the rub.   I can always add salt later.  your cooks always look so good.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »
They look mighty tasty Mike? Nice work!
Beef ribs were one of my favorites!

Offline 4cornersmoker

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
Thanks,
Old grill goat
Mike,
Brined ribs came out fantastic. The ribs were smoked pink clear through. I used Meat Head Dixie Dust rub. It had the lower salt. Ribs were not too salty just right.
I will definitely be using the dry brine method more often.
Thanks,
Russ

Thanks Mike,
I have some baby backs dry brining since last night. Gonna throw them on the Good One later today. I'll let you know if I like brining them ahead of time.
Russ

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »
Thanks,
Old grill goat
Mike,

Glad it worked out great for you Russ!
Brined ribs came out fantastic. The ribs were smoked pink clear through. I used Meat Head Dixie Dust rub. It had the lower salt. Ribs were not too salty just right.
I will definitely be using the dry brine method more often.
Thanks,
Russ

Thanks Mike,
Russ
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:02 PM »
Great job, Mike.  I've got a couple of racks of Chuck Ribs in the freezer, think I'll be breaking one out when I get back from the beach ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC