Author Topic: Bacon is ready  (Read 18791 times)

Offline zueth

Bacon is ready
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »
What did you use to slice bacon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Bacon is ready
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 12:27:48 PM »
What did you use to slice bacon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Zueth - I used my Chef's Choice food slicer.  It worked great.  nearly worth the price of the slicer just for doing the bacon. :D

The first time I made bacon I did not have the slicer so I put the chunks in the freezer to firm up just a bit (I did not freeze them - just got them good and cold so they were really firm) and used a super-sharp knife and it worked pretty good but took a long time to make them consistent.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline zueth

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
Thank you, I need to get a good slicer.

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »

Dry-brined in plastic bags in fridge for 9 days
Removed and rinsed.
The test piece was a bit saltier than I like so I soaked it in water for an hour, rinsed and tried again, still a bit too salty so I repeated the soak for another hour in fresh water

I know it would be best to use distilled spring water - however does anyone have any experience with "city" tap water that had added Florine and/or chlorine? Will it yield an "off" taste?

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »

Dry-brined in plastic bags in fridge for 9 days
Removed and rinsed.
The test piece was a bit saltier than I like so I soaked it in water for an hour, rinsed and tried again, still a bit too salty so I repeated the soak for another hour in fresh water

I used tap water for the soaks because I did not have any distilled.  While our water does not have any odor of chlorine I am sure there probably is some as we live near Seattle.  I have not noticed (nor has anyone who has tried it) a "funny" taste.  Next time I will use distilled water for the soaks (and slightly reduce the amount of salt in the dry brine) and see if there is a difference.

I know it would be best to use distilled spring water - however does anyone have any experience with "city" tap water that had added Florine and/or chlorine? Will it yield an "off" taste?
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
I would think the water would make a difference if it has any taste or smell to it. 
  Some pork has an "off"  taste to it though,  My best description would be Metallic.  I found by buying from different sources you can get away from this.
 A friend that raises hogs told me he stopped feeding them a certain brand of feed because it caused this taste in his stock. He changed to a non GMO feed and supplements it with corn. The issue has been corrected.

I have not tired making bacon except for a small piece and it looks like it might be time to try.  That sure looks good.  Thanks for sharing the info.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"