Author Topic: Coating of ash on my food?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline eghamilton3

Coating of ash on my food?
« Reply #-1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
I've been using my PBC for a year and a half and I've had a couple occasions where there has been ash on my food. Most recently, I hung a turkey and discovered late in the process that there was gray ash all over the bird. I quickly whipped up a mop with turkey stock to kinda "wash" the bird off at around 150 degrees. I cracked the lid for the remaining time and I pulled it off around 160 and it seemed fine. I didn't eat the skin - I found it pretty dry - and there was no ash taste or anything. It came out great. but I've had this happen a couple times. I clean my PBC thoroughly, even shop vac'ing any remaining ash.

I've also had to clean up grease puddles in the bottom from time to time. I'm just outside of Boston and found that I have to crack the vent a bit more than 1/4 or grease drippings will put out some of the coals. And I have to crack the lid late to get the turkey to finish up.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Coating of ash on my food?
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »
I have learned when opening the lid on any vertical drum smoker to "burp the lid" before completely taking off the lid. If just lifting the lid quickly off you will create a vacumn and suck the ashes up onto the food.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:44:04 PM »
I have learned when opening the lid on any vertical drum smoker to "burp the lid" before completely taking off the lid. If just lifting the lid quickly off you will create a vacumn and suck the ashes up onto the food.

x2
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:16 PM »
Ash happens.  How it happens often depends on the type of cooker you're using, how, and the environment around it. 

The PBC will "spit" ash up into the barrel when meats that are extremely fatty are cooked and I've had only one problem with a Turkey, one time, easily fixed.  Make sure you trim all the big, "flappy" extra skin off the bird.  That skin is mostly fat and will do enough sizzling over the coals to cause embers and ash.  I trim off everything that isn't actually touching meat.  No ash.  Great tasting skin.

Stick burners and charcoal smokers will ash up the groceries occasionally in a very windy environment.  A "whoosh" in just the place around and into a vent or stack will puff a poof of ash into some place it shouldn't go.  Only cure is to either don't cook in the wind or put something up to block it.  My old Yoder stick burner hated the wind and would reward me with lots of temperature problems and ash if I didn't shield it some way or another.

Pellet cookers will ash up more often than not when the fire pot is getting full but the cook has been too lazy to clean it out before firing it up.  My Memphis doesn't even like to light with any ash already in the pot so it sort of takes care of the problem itself.  My Traeger will blow soot at around 300 degrees (roasting temperature) if I haven't scooped it lately.

Barring some motivation (breezes, sizzling grease, or a dirty fire pot) ash will give in to gravity  :)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:11:13 AM »
Please feel free to contact our office with questions or concerns at 502.228.1222. We are always happy to help.

Offline eghamilton3

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:59:13 AM »
Thanks all. I'll be more careful pulling the lid (though I do "burp" it). One other thing I'll do is make sure the bottom vent is downwind. I'll make sure it's facing my house instead of upwind.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
Barring some motivation (breezes, sizzling grease, or a dirty fire pot) ash will give in to gravity...

Sounds like my entire body these days (including my "ash"). Just sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Barring some motivation (breezes, sizzling grease, or a dirty fire pot) ash will give in to gravity...

Sounds like my entire body these days (including my "ash"). Just sayin'...

YOu always were kind of a "big ash" guy..... 8) ;) :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401