Author Topic: MAK 2 Star initial impression  (Read 2466 times)

Offline akjeff

MAK 2 Star initial impression
« Reply #-1 on: December 09, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »
Hi folks, new MAK 2 Star owner.

First impression(besides the fantastic customer service from both MAK, and Big Poppa's) upon unpacking and assembly was wow, this thing is built like a tank, and a thing of industrial beauty! Top shelf USA quality. Easy to follow instructions, and no missing parts. They even included a high quality USA made set of stubby allen wrenches, which came in handy.

Did the initial "burn in" this morning; it was a crisp +20F on the back deck. Loaded it up with the 20# bag of hickory pellets that came with the grill. Started the timer when the auger was finally putting pellets in the fire pot and we had ignition.
225F was reached in 10 minutes.
350F at 15 minutes.
450F at 22 minutes.
Really impressed. Held temp very steady. Let run at 450 for 30 minutes or so, and then started stepping it down 50 at a time, and stopped at 250 for another 30 minutes, and finally another half hour on "Smoke".

Will put on a few racks of baby backs this afternoon, and see how she cooks!\

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:53:14 PM by akjeff »
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: MAK 2 Star initial impression
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
Don't forget the pics....................we like pics..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline MAK Daddy

• Superior Wood Pellet BBQ Smoker-Grills
    • MAK Grills
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
Congrats on the new MAK Grill and a huge thanks for buying American made!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »
Don't forget the pics....................we like pics..........
We sure do
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akjeff

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »
Might take me a few tries to get a photo on here ???

Jeff

MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
I like some of the new upgrades

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »
Very nice looking, congrats.  :thumbup:

Better take some photo's it won't stay looking like that.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »
Congrats on the new MAK Grill and a huge thanks for buying American made!

You're quite welcome. A huge thanks to you, for building them here!!! It's a really important thing to me.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
From one 2 Star owner to another... CONGRATS!!!!! Curious, what were you cooking on prior to this?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline akjeff

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »
From one 2 Star owner to another... CONGRATS!!!!! Curious, what were you cooking on prior to this?

Thanks rw. Have been cooking on a Primo Large Oval for the past few years. It's been excellent, especially when a good hot sear is needed....the thing will get as hot as a forge! Handles long smokes as well, but I'm not crazy about the smoke flavor, as in order to do low & slow with charcoal, you have to choke the cooker down to a smolder, which I think, produces a rather harsh tasting smoke. If I lived in an area with a shorter/less severe winter, along with access to an ample supply of hardwood, I'd love to try a classic stick burner. But I don't. We have 6 months of winter, some of it a bit harsh, and birch & alder for hardwood. So, I figured I'd get a pellet burner, and see how it goes! Have several coworkers that use and love em. The ribs will be ready in about an hour, and we'll get to see how we like the flavor. Not going to sauce the ribs at the end of the cook as we usually do, so we can see what the smoke tastes like. Did two racks with just S&P, and the other with a rib rub, to see the difference there as well. Pretty anxious to plate those babies and dig in!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline akjeff

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
While I was already impressed with the MAK based on design, quality, etc...., after cooking with it, I'm totally satisfied, wow! The temperature consistency top to bottom/side to side was awesome. Ribs turned out great. Probably the best batch of ribs I've ever made. Seasoned 2 racks with nothing but 2 parts black pepper/1 part kosher salt, and the other 2 with a commercial rib rub. Started out on the "Smoke" setting for the first 2 hours, sprayed with ACV, and then bumped the temp up to 225 for the next 4 hours. Spraying and rotating every hour after. Used hickory pellets. We deliberately ate them with no sauce, just to get an idea what the smoke flavor was like. The ribs were moist, tender, just perfect! Nice clean, but mild smoke flavor. My wife's side of oven roasted cauliflower, rutabaga, garlic cloves, was excellent. Next time will finish with a light coat of sauce. What really stood out was the temperature consistency. The ribs were bone side down the entire cook. Absolutely no difference in doneness on either side. If I did that on my Primo, the side facing down would have been incinerated(using the heat deflector plates). Very happy camper here! Can't wait to do tai-tips tomorrow!

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:16:22 AM by akjeff »
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline rwalters

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 12:18:21 AM »
While I was already with the MAK based on design, quality, etc...., after cooking with it, I'm totally satisfied, wow! The temperature consistency top to bottom/side to side was awesome. Ribs turned out great. Probably the best batch of ribs I've ever made. Seasoned 2 racks with nothing but 2 parts black pepper/1 part kosher salt, and the other 2 with a commercial rib rub. Started out on the "Smoke" setting for the first 2 hours, sprayed with ACV, and then bumped the temp up to 225 for the next 4 hours. Spraying and rotating every hour after. Used hickory pellets. We deliberately ate them with no sauce, just to get an idea what the smoke flavor was like. The ribs were moist, tender, just perfect! Nice clean, but mild smoke flavor. My wife's side of oven roasted cauliflower, rutabaga, garlic cloves, was excellent. Next time will finish with a light coat of sauce. What really stood out was the temperature consistency. The ribs were bone side down the entire cook. Absolutely no difference in doneness on either side. If I did that on my Primo, the side facing down would have been incinerated(using the heat deflector plates). Very happy camper here! Can't wait to do tai-tips tomorrow!

Jeff

Thanks rw. Have been cooking on a Primo Large Oval for the past few years. It's been excellent, especially when a good hot sear is needed....the thing will get as hot as a forge! Handles long smokes as well, but I'm not crazy about the smoke flavor, as in order to do low & slow with charcoal, you have to choke the cooker down to a smolder, which I think, produces a rather harsh tasting smoke. If I lived in an area with a shorter/less severe winter, along with access to an ample supply of hardwood, I'd love to try a classic stick burner. But I don't. We have 6 months of winter, some of it a bit harsh, and birch & alder for hardwood. So, I figured I'd get a pellet burner, and see how it goes! Have several coworkers that use and love em. The ribs will be ready in about an hour, and we'll get to see how we like the flavor. Not going to sauce the ribs at the end of the cook as we usually do, so we can see what the smoke tastes like. Did two racks with just S&P, and the other with a rib rub, to see the difference there as well. Pretty anxious to plate those babies and dig in!

Jeff
I hear ya and couldn’t agree more!  I had several Kamado Joes. Loved them for all things minus low n slow.  Very stagnant smoke taste from the itty-bitty smoldering fire.  You mentioned that you’d love to cook on a stick burner. I sold a pretty nice stick burner last year when I bought my 2 Star. The ease, consistency and fantastic results that I get from my MAK have left me with absolutely no desire to burn sticks. Plus I just don’t have time for sticks...lol.

Your ribs look mouth watering... nicely done :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline akjeff

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 12:38:24 AM »
Thanks rw!

The ease of use was a big plus. Nice to be able to set it, and not have to fuss over it. I'm sure if I had a stick burner, I'd drink a hell of a lot of beer! :)

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
Congrats from another happy MAK owner. The ribs look great!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »
Great looking bones.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32