Author Topic: Prime rib size?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline bake426

Prime rib size?
« Reply #-1 on: December 15, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »
I am looking to do a large, or largest prime rib in the pit barrel that I can. What is everybody's experience on pounds and amount of ribs that you were able to fit on the barrel. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Prime rib size?
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
If you are hanging, the size and number of bones will be no problem.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bake426

Prime rib size?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 12:17:27 AM »
If you are hanging, the size and number of bones will be no problem.
I will be hanging it, but all the videos show it hanging right off the hooks, not like a rack of ribs.  So it would have to be less than 18", the width of the barrel. So I am thinking that a 7 bone will be too big?

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:20:21 AM »
     I personallly would put it on the grate. For even cooking and  Being that cut is so expensive I want to be positive it doesn't take a plunge. I'm not the best using hooks. I've had ribs and a turkey fall off. They were still pretty tasty even after I got them off the coals  :)

Sorry that didn't really answer your question though
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
Best bet is to measure the darn thing when you are at the market.............people look at me funny when I do that with a brisket but I don't care much.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline bake426

Prime rib size?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »
Best bet is to measure the darn thing when you are at the market.............people look at me funny when I do that with a brisket but I don't care much.......
This is the easiest, but this time my father is bringing it the day I will be cooking it. He ordered the whole 7 bone and hasn't gotten it yet to give me a measurement. I am hoping I will get the whole roast to fit.

Offline bake426

Prime rib size?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
     I personallly would put it on the grate. For even cooking and  Being that cut is so expensive I want to be positive it doesn't take a plunge. I'm not the best using hooks. I've had ribs and a turkey fall off. They were still pretty tasty even after I got them off the coals  :)

Sorry that didn't really answer your question though
No, but that is a really good point. Hanging it only drops it down about 4" at best and you have to stress over the beast dropping. I have had some ribs fall off the hooks in the past. Thanks for responding

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
OK, here we go.

I have a 4 bone Hereford Prime Rib Roast I am going to cut in half and have for Christmas and New Years day.

I called the meat dept at our local HEB and they told me a 7 bone roast could weigh in the 15 lb range.

I thought they were wrong until I pulled out my 4 bone......probably 6 lbs give or take.

So I really suggest not hanging. Use the Grate.

I grabbed my extra PBC grate and did some measuring for ya.

My 4 bone is about 8 inches wide and 9 inches deep. Height of the roast is a non factor in the PBC.

Setting my 4 bone all the way over to the right still gives you about another 8 inches to play with the added 3 bones of your roast.

I think you will be fine.

However, if the roast is still too big a bit you could always lay it on the grate and give it some smoke....the smoke won't know it is laying perfectly flat or not.

Take it out when the internal is about 100 and finish it in the oven. It will have gotten more than enough "grease fog" flavor and the oven will take it to the home stretch.

I would pull the roast out when you are about 3-4 degrees from your target temp cause it will continue to cook. Lightly tent it with foil and let it rest a bit 10-15 minutes. The juices need to distribute back into the roast so they don't end up all over your cutting board.

I suggest keep your rub simple. 50/50 coarse kosher salt and ground black peppercorn will do the trick. You could add some garlic powder if you wish.

Here are the pictures........who says The Smoke don't love ya ;)  ;)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline bake426

Prime rib size?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
OK, here we go.

I have a 4 bone Hereford Prime Rib Roast I am going to cut in half and have for Christmas and New Years day.

I called the meat dept at our local HEB and they told me a 7 bone roast could weigh in the 15 lb range.

I thought they were wrong until I pulled out my 4 bone......probably 6 lbs give or take.

So I really suggest not hanging. Use the Grate.

I grabbed my extra PBC grate and did some measuring for ya.

My 4 bone is about 8 inches wide and 9 inches deep. Height of the roast is a non factor in the PBC.

Setting my 4 bone all the way over to the right still gives you about another 8 inches to play with the added 3 bones of your roast.

I think you will be fine.

However, if the roast is still too big a bit you could always lay it on the grate and give it some smoke....the smoke won't know it is laying perfectly flat or not.

Take it out when the internal is about 100 and finish it in the oven. It will have gotten more than enough "grease fog" flavor and the oven will take it to the home stretch.

I would pull the roast out when you are about 3-4 degrees from your target temp cause it will continue to cook. Lightly tent it with foil and let it rest a bit 10-15 minutes. The juices need to distribute back into the roast so they don't end up all over your cutting board.

I suggest keep your rub simple. 50/50 coarse kosher salt and ground black peppercorn will do the trick. You could add some garlic powder if you wish.

Here are the pictures........who says The Smoke don't love ya ;)  ;)

The Smoke is the best!! Thanks for all the great info and pictures.  I am looking forward to cooking this beast. I will follow up with some pictures after the big day.  Good luck on your Hereford!! Merry Christmas, Bake

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »
Glad to be of service......if it wasn't me it would be someone else around here. Best forum around......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smoker64

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
New guy here with a question.  I am also doing a rib roast for Christmas, just got my PBC (did a Turkey) and am a little confused.  Whenever I have had a question on smoking I have come here and to Meatheads website.  Meathead suggests putting the meat in right from the fridge, PBC says let it come to room temp, Meathead says cook at 225 indirect heat, PBC will run 270-around 300 direct heat.  Am I OK doing the roast as per PBC?  Just confused so thanks for any help.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
I like to let red meat come up to room temp or at least take the chill off......at least an hour on the counter.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline psousa781

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
I did a ribeye roast the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it came out incredibly well, hope this may help some folks.

We bought a boneless Choice grade ribeye roast from Restaurant Depot that clocked in just over 16 lbs.  We used half of it that night, and I smoked half of that half (my wife cooked the other quarter in the oven).  I used the grate and there was plenty of room, however I had it centered between the two pieces of rebar.  There is plenty of room between the grate and the lid, but the rebar could be an issue if you need to place the roasts under them.  The barrel stayed in the 260-280 range the whole time and I cooked it to 125 IT, then moved it to my gas grill for a reverse sear (got the grill ready about 5-10 minutes before the IT hit 125).  I forget the total cook time, but want to say it was around 3 hours?  Prep wise I trimmed a good amount of the fat cap off and dry brined it that morning, then about an hour before I began the cook I coated in olive oil and used a simple salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder rub.  I used Kingsford and apple wood for fuel.

I forgot to mention I had trussed the roast which added to the height.  Unstrussed the rebar may not be an issue.

Offline bake426

Prime rib size?
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 12:39:54 AM »
I did a ribeye roast the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it came out incredibly well, hope this may help some folks.

We bought a boneless Choice grade ribeye roast from Restaurant Depot that clocked in just over 16 lbs.  We used half of it that night, and I smoked half of that half (my wife cooked the other quarter in the oven).  I used the grate and there was plenty of room, however I had it centered between the two pieces of rebar.  There is plenty of room between the grate and the lid, but the rebar could be an issue if you need to place the roasts under them.  The barrel stayed in the 260-280 range the whole time and I cooked it to 125 IT, then moved it to my gas grill for a reverse sear (got the grill ready about 5-10 minutes before the IT hit 125).  I forget the total cook time, but want to say it was around 3 hours?  Prep wise I trimmed a good amount of the fat cap off and dry brined it that morning, then about an hour before I began the cook I coated in olive oil and used a simple salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder rub.  I used Kingsford and apple wood for fuel.

I forgot to mention I had trussed the roast which added to the height.  Unstrussed the rebar may not be an issue.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.