Author Topic: AMNTS or AMNPS for Caja China?  (Read 11891 times)

Offline krick

AMNTS or AMNPS for Caja China?
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:28 PM »
Hi - Having just read Adam Perry Lang rave blog post about using the AMNPS with his Caja China roasting box, I'm looking to buy one of your smokers primarily for use in my Caja China and secondarily in my gas grill.  Would I be better off with the 12" tube or the AMNPS, and why?

Given the universal praise and adoration heaped upon your smokers I have no doubt that I'm eventually going to end up owning them both,  but I'd be grateful for your advice on what you think would work best for my application.

Thanks in advance!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: AMNTS or AMNPS for Caja China?
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:29:05 PM »
Todd at Amazen will come along - and give you the answer - or others here on the forum will have suggestions.
I use the 12" tube a lot for 4-6 hours of good smoke.
Some find that the maze style will smoke longer, but not as intensely.
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline krick

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »
Thanks.  4-6 hours will be long enough for my purposes, but I don't know if the tube or maze would be better for some other reason in the Caja China or in a gas grill (aside from the fact that the tube will take up less space).

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:02:27 AM »
For your purpose a shorter tube (6in) sounds like they way to go.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline krick

AMNTS or AMNPS for Caja China?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
After discussing with Todd I went with the 12" Tube.  Thanks everyone.

Offline krick

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »
UPDATE:  My first try using the AMNTS in my Caja China this past Sunday didn't go all that well.  Could either have been that I left the pre-loaded AMNTS outside for a week beforehand and the relative humidity in my area (70-ish%) had an adverse effect on the pellets or could have been insufficient ventilation even having removed one of the end rails, but the AMNTS did not burn/smoke very well.  It didn't go out, but shortly after the inital 10 minute torch-lit burn, the burn rate went down significantly and it emitted very little smoke over the next 5 hours.  Total burn time was 8+ hours which is way longer than it's supposed to be, further evidence that something I did (or didn't do) was retarding the burn.  I'll give it another shot this weekend with fresh dry pellets and if that doesn't help then next time I'll add some more ventilation.

Offline admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »
Krick - I think you have it figured out...more ventilation or fresh pellets...maybe a little of both.

Bearing in mind of course that the ideal smoke is that "thin blue line", and not the white thick stuff.

You might want to e-mail Todd at Amazen Smoker - and ask him for his input as well. Todd has probably seen every configuration of use for his products, and he is great to deal with!