Author Topic: Pepper stout beef on PBC ?  (Read 11353 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Re: Pepper stout beef on PBC ?
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
DJM, did you cook it down any after you pulled the foil off? Pic is super small but it looks a tad bit to wet for sandwiches just yet. Might just be the pic though.
I think I'm making this again this week but with a plain old Budweiser.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

PapaBob

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 06:08:42 PM »
That last smart a-- comment just caused me to leave this site.  Too bad someone doesn't follow the "can't we all be friends" post.  See ya!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
Can't we - as LTBBQ members remember WHY we came here? Much of it is because of attitudes we experienced that were not congenial or friendly on a site, or teasing. Let's start taking it easy on new folks THAT DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT "UNICORN" means....

Enough of the crap guys...I mean it. when someone is new, they deserve the SAME respect as anyone else. Give them a chance. Let them get comfortable. Allow them the SAME courtesy that YOU would expect if you were new.

I hope some apologies will be extended to Papa Bob. He has mine on behalf of LTBBQ.

I am very disappointed......

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 09:06:05 PM »
Can't we - as LTBBQ members remember WHY we came here? Much of it is because of attitudes we experienced that were not congenial or friendly on a site, or teasing. Let's start taking it easy on new folks THAT DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT "UNICORN" means....

Enough of the crap guys...I mean it. when someone is new, they deserve the SAME respect as anyone else. Give them a chance. Let them get comfortable. Allow them the SAME courtesy that YOU would expect if you were new.

I hope some apologies will be extended to Papa Bob. He has mine on behalf of LTBBQ.

I am very disappointed......

Been a tough day for you today huh teesquare? I saw it started early with the flag. 3 times I looked at it today and then I said no ......... My Avatar........" Thinking"  before sending.  Hope things are better for tomarrow.
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
DJM, did you cook it down any after you pulled the foil off? Pic is super small but it looks a tad bit to wet for sandwiches just yet. Might just be the pic though.
I think I'm making this again this week but with a plain old Budweiser.

Paul
I am going to fire up the PBC for the 2nd time Saturday or Sunday and try this same recipe with the Guinness. I guess most everyone is laying the roast on the grill. I want to try hanging it. I don't think I will have to worry about it falling off the hangers if the temp will only be going to 165 when it comes off the hangers?
CM
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 09:21:20 PM »
Been a tough day for you today huh teesquare? I saw it started early with the flag. 3 times I looked at it today and then I said no ......... My Avatar........" Thinking"  before sending.  Hope things are better for tomarrow.
CM

Thanks - but, no, it has not been a tough day for ME...but we lost a new member - because he felt disconnected and intimidated before he had enough time on the board and posts under his belt to understand the communal sense of humor and the pursuant colloquialisms attached to it.

I think we should strive to keep that sense of humor alive as we grow, with the exception - that we make sure new folks get a fair chance to understand it - before we embarrass them.

We WILL maintain the friendly demeanor that we started with. Sure, so folks may be over-sensitive. How can we know what fresh hell that may have dealt with today - or everyday?
Which is all the more reason to allow new members  the same opportunity every one of us was afforded...congenial conversation.

Lastly - Chief, sorry this had to be in your thread. Not trying to detract from your efforts.

PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 11:06:28 PM »
I must be missing something, what was the comment that made him leave??

I figured it out. That is a darn shame we lost someone this way  :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:45:38 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
Paul
I am going to fire up the PBC for the 2nd time Saturday or Sunday and try this same recipe with the Guinness. I guess most everyone is laying the roast on the grill. I want to try hanging it. I don't think I will have to worry about it falling off the hangers if the temp will only be going to 165 when it comes off the hangers?
CM

You and I will be trying this together it seems! I'm running out to my local Target to get a 3qt Pyrex with handles so I can do the entire cook in the PBC (and avoid using the oven) since I think there will be plenty of coal power left after the chuck roast reaches 165F IT. I'll first be hanging it, probably using the method Noah uses to hang the pork (shoulder?) in one of his videos, with a hook in either side of it. My Sam's Club sells about 2.5# chuck roasts in packs of two for like $4/lb, so that's definitely happening Saturday!
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Paul
CM

You and I will be trying this together it seems! I'm running out to my local Target to get a 3qt Pyrex with handles so I can do the entire cook in the PBC (and avoid using the oven) since I think there will be plenty of coal power left after the chuck roast reaches 165F IT. I'll first be hanging it, probably using the method Noah uses to hang the pork (shoulder?) in one of his videos, with a hook in either side of it. My Sam's Club sells about 2.5# chuck roasts in packs of two for like $4/lb, so that's definitely happening Saturday!

Looking forward to your results and thoughts!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 02:35:29 AM »
That dudes comment was right after mine. I hope It wasn't me!
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 06:58:57 AM »
Hey Paul
Just my $.02 here but reading back through the thread I don't think it was your responses that caused the issue.
I could not tell what the offending message was, but apparently it did rile someone's feathers.

I am still a newbie on the forum but the help I have received has been outstanding here.

Hopefully, the person will calm down and come back later.

I hate to see when people who are helpful and do share their insights start to feel bad about their posts.

Again, just my opinion here, but this is a public forum, people have different opinions and that's what makes the forum useful. Everyone has different delivery styles.  If someone posts something you don't like, ignore it, plain and simple.

If there is a post about no pictures on a cook will I run right out and get a camera, probably not, but I might preface my next posts as "here comes another unicorn cook"

In the end we are all different, and that what makes this forum great in my opinion.

I will get off my Sat morning soapbox now.

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:44:28 AM by cgseymour »
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2015, 09:05:41 AM »
Just to clarify the "missing posts" that make my comments confusing:

We have a tradition here of calling a cook description with no pictures a "Unicorn"...because no one has ever really seen a unicorn - so no pictures means - it did not happen.

Once you have been here long enough to know that this is only a tease, and a nudge to take pictures with your cooks AND understand that it is all just good humored teasing - no problem....

*BUT* - there are some guys that did not allow new members the time to understand our customs - before they hammer them with a big picture of a unicorn. If you you are someone that does not understand the meaning of this and perhaps easily intimidated because of your newness ( maybe of an age that computers are new to you ;) ;D ) it could embarrass you. Well - it has, and frankly we have lost new members when they got hit with the "Unicorn card" before they had the opportunity to learn that it was only a tease...Shame...and one that I do not want to see repeated.

Lets give new folks a chance to get used to our personality. Give them a chance to build some confidence in understanding how we joke, and tease as part of the community sense of humor.

And - just as importantly, my apology to the OP of this thread - I hate having to address issues publicly, or in a great cooking thread. SO, let's all just have some fun cooking this weekend folks - and share your stories and pictures with us, please.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2015, 09:14:53 AM »
It's all good. :)

I had an idea, tell me what you think. I'm going to make the pepper stout again this week and try to complete it in the barrel (Warmer temps this week)
I'm thinking that after I shred it and put it back in to reduce, to add a chunk of wood to give the overall dish a little smoke while it reduces. Sounds great to me. Whatcha think?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »
Sounds like my kind of meal. You will find that the beef will adsorb smoke much better when it is cold, and once the meat reaches 145-160F ( depending on the kind of meat it is ...) it will not really take on any more smoke.

If you have not tried cold smoking - I highly recommend that you try one of the Amazen Smoker tubes or the maze design.
This time of year is great for cold smoking, because even with heat sensitive items like fish and cheese - you will not over heat them with just a little understanding of the objective - and your tools. If you have a "traditional" type of grill that is not being used at the moment ( a gas or charcoal horizontal type is what comes to mind - but anything could work with a little thought...) OR:

If you have some clean flat area - preferably concrete - where you can place an elevated cooling rack, and a med-large cardboard box upside down over it...you can cold smoke anything....fish, nuts, chez mix, cheese....tomatoes for your ketchup ;D...use your imagination!
Poke a SMALL hole ( think #2 pencil ) on one end of the box on a vertical side - close to the ground. And - one at the opposite end of the box on the highest point of the opposite end of the box.
Place the smoker tube/device on the end of the box where the hole is near ground level - but not so close as to catch the box on fire :D and your cooling rack at the other end of the box, where the hole is up high. This will prevent heating up what you want to keep cold. Place your meat on a tray on the cooling rack ( or small items on Q-mat - also available from Amazen Products -who is one of our sponsors ) and light the smoker device - allow it to flame up for a couple of minutes, then when it settles down to just smoldering pellets or chips or dust - depending on which device and fuel you use - put it in the box at the described location. Now - go prep the side dishes while you allow meat get 30 min. to 2 hours of cold smoke depending on your tastes. I do not recommend cold smoking ground meat because of the time that the meat will stay in the temperature "danger zone" (see USDA guidelines online) but whole muscle cuts - this is a great way to get a nice smoke profile before you cook it it by any other method - and well worth the time.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 10:36:36 AM »
Well I was coming back to look at the Pepper Stout because I am thinking of making it, I make a meas Guinness Beef Stew but haven't made a Pepper Stout Beef yet. I guess I missed something though. I am member number 16 and if I had left every time when someone took a poke at me I would have been gone a long time ago. What makes this forum so great is that normally everybody gets along but like Tee said, a new member might take some of the ribbing the wrong way. Let's give a little time to get used to us then we can poke at them.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware