Author Topic: Walmarts Backyard Grill charcoal briquettes: NO!  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Walmarts Backyard Grill charcoal briquettes: NO!
« Reply #-1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »
Having a bad time with them. Not sure what I'm going to do here. Had a hard time getting it to stay above 240 ish the entire time. About 4 hours in it was at 196 so I pulled the food and stirred it around. Half the basket was completely gone and left behind a ton of ash. I think it's choking the rest out its so much. It seems to be trying to relight. I have one rebar out and it's just now at 207 with a very very slow climb. I think I might light a chimney of Stubbs and drop it in there. I need at least two more hours of 240, preferably 3 at 265.
Suggestions?
I do not recommended this charcoal.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

Re: Walmarts Backyard Grill charcoal briquettes: NO!
« on: March 10, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »
Another 8 minutes goes by and im at 217 with one rebar out. Very slow climb but it might be trying. I'm ok with 225 but I don't want to be pulling this thing at 10pm.
I think I'm going to dump half chimney of Stubbs in and see what happens.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
Not sure why you are having an issue, but I do not buy that it's just because of this brand.

First they are not made by Wal-mart,  they're made by Royal Oak, and they are fine briquettes.  In fact I prefer them over Kingsford any day of the week (I like the flavor better).

It's possible you got a bad bag, or one that had gotten wet at some point.

Just my 2ยข

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:26:05 PM »
I've only EVER used KB for my lifelong grilling or smoking (new) so I can't really give experience on the Walmart brand, but if it's anything like the other Walmart brand stuff, stay away! If cost is an issue, make sure to check your local Home Depot or Lowe's twice per year (Memorial Day and Labor Day). Both of those retailers usually have 2x16lb or 2x20lb bag packs for in between $7-9.99. I make sure to stock up on at least 250lbs during each sale. That way you'll never run out and get the best price at the same time!
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 02:29:53 PM »
LET'S BE CLEAR ON THIS:

This is a Royal Oak Product, NOT a Wal-mart product!
<><
Member #68

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
Stubbs tastes and performs better than KBB, and makes less ash and mess. Smells better, cleaner.
I'm up to 222 now. Not horrible but not a typical healthy PBC temp. I have 22 stubbs lit in the chimney now. Going to dump those in shortly.
tenthunter are the jumbo ones made by Royal oak as well? Says they are like 50% larger than regular briquettes.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
tenthunter are the jumbo ones made by Royal oak as well? Says they are like 50% larger than regular briquettes.

Yes, they are made by Royal Oak. 

So are the Grillmarks (sold at Ace Hardware), and a variety of other so-called store brands.

These are even listed as "Royal Oak Back Yard Grill Briquettes" on Wal-Mart's website.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Oak-Backyard-Grill-3.5-lb-Charcoal-Briquets/23597640
<><
Member #68

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
Dumped in the Stubbs. Already up to 268 and climbing with both rebar in. Hope this works!
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »
Well I'm not real happy with them at this point. Stubbs does me lot better. Wish they were the same price. :(
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:42:58 PM »
The one side burned up super fast and the other didn't light right. Very odd. And the amount of ash is surprising. I was giving it a fair shake, I want it to be good. But for whatever reason it's not working out for me.  Maybe for grilling but for a long cook might not be ideal.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »
LET'S BE CLEAR ON THIS:

This is a Royal Oak Product, NOT a Wal-mart product!

Manufacturers with excess manufacturing capability have two choices when rebadging their product to meet a retailers desired cost.

(1)  Change something about the rebranded item to lower their cost and meet the price point.

(2)  Put a new label on their product which places an exactly equal product in the marketplace to compete with their original brand at a lower price.

Which do you think Royal Oak has done?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »
The one side burned up super fast and the other didn't light right. Very odd. And the amount of ash is surprising. I was giving it a fair shake, I want it to be good. But for whatever reason it's not working out for me.  Maybe for grilling but for a long cook might not be ideal.

I could be wrong, but it sounds more likely that one side didn't get enough lighter fluid or something else happened.  Otherwise why would only one side of the basket not light properly?

No matter what brand of charcoal, if one side didn't light properly (for whatever reason) then I would expect that side to burn up quicker, and I would expect the overall temp would be lower and would slowly climb as the unlit side slowly lit.  It just makes sense (at least in my head - which isn't saying much).

I'd give these another try before ruling them out as a bad brand.

As far as the ash level, if you are comparing almost any brand to stubbs, I can imagine the ash level must seem very high.  Stubbs is a premium briquette with no fillers, and therefore very low ash.  Kingsford Competition will also be lower ash, but I don't know how they compare in price to Stubbs.

One more note on the particular briquettes you got.  I have noticed the 50% larger ones seem to take a little longer to get going full on. There is less surface area per lb of charcoal than regular sized briquettes. THAT right there may make them unsuitable for the PBC with it's controlled air intake.

If you wanted to try a regular sized Royal Oak briquette, grab a small bag of the GrillMark brand from Ace Hardware. But I guarantee you will still have more ash than stubbs.

The bottom line is use what you think works best. If you like Stubbs, you may want to stick with them.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:43:15 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
Member #68

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:44:26 PM »
Thanks for the info. I do like the Stubbs but Unless its on sale I don't like paying for it. Walmart has decent price on Stubbs though. I'm hoping to grab some on sale this Spring. I'll buy whatever's cheap though. When KBB goes on sale $10 for 40 lbs, well, I'd be stupid not to stock up. I've used so much already this year.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »

Kingsford Competition will also be lower ash, but I don't know how they compare in price to Stubbs.

Costco had the big 18 lb. bags in two-pack bundles of Kingsford Competition this last weekend for less than $20. I almost bought some to try it out for my PBC chicken cooks.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 08:27:50 PM »
I use Royal Oak Natural Hardwood briquettes and they are just as good as my beloved Kingsford. Sounds like Tent nailed it with the previously got wet theory...I have had that happen before and it sounds to me like what happened.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32