Author Topic: Walmarts Backyard Grill charcoal briquettes: NO!  (Read 8180 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Walmarts Backyard Grill charcoal briquettes: NO!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the info. I do like the Stubbs but Unless its on sale I don't like paying for it. Walmart has decent price on Stubbs though. I'm hoping to grab some on sale this Spring. I'll buy whatever's cheap though. When KBB goes on sale $10 for 40 lbs, well, I'd be stupid not to stock up. I've used so much already this year.

Ahem.... :)
"Cheap" - can be quite expensive...The cost difference between filling the basket in your PBC with a cheap unknown variable charcoal - vs - what you know works is not much for  cook or two. But, it is always a good idea to experiment, and find a product that meets your criteria for price/performance. So, why not try 1 bag - and do a dry run burn of a basket load? You are not risking much money - and no meat....just a little time to take notes AND...I do recommend keeping a journal to note the burn properties of each charcoal you test.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Walmarts Backyard Grill charcoal briquettes: NO!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »
I'm not touching this one, as I'm a moron
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tonybel

• We BBQ and Grill every chance we get.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 12:17:03 AM »
That's too bad you got a bad bag.

I have used this brand before and it worked great for me. For smoking and grilling.
18.5 WSM, 14.5 WSM, 22.5 Black OTG, 22.5 Blue Perfomer, 22.5 Old red head (patent pending), Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Genesis.
Cast Iron disc and a comal for tacos that sit on a stand and use propane burner.

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 01:36:36 AM »
I meant whatever is good that's on sale. Not CHEAP exactly. I wanted to try this stuff because I've heard it was ok and because it's cheap. To its credit, the second half of the basket seemed to do better once I got it lit with the Stubbs. Not sure what the original problem was.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
Just thinking about 3 possible reasons for the uneven burn:

1. prevailing wind:  was the intake vent facing the direction of ANY breeze? That could cause the side closer to the vent to catch much faster than the other

2. Uneven lighter fluid distribution: If for any reason your application of lighter fluid favored one side of the basket....it would ignite and possibly raise the heat enough to cause an evaporation of the fluid on the side that did not get as much.

3. size of briquettes: The PBC was designed around using KBB. KBB is available every where, and pretty consistent in performance. ( I am not promoting it as the high performance choice, or any choice. I am merely pointing out that the PBC was designed using it :) ) When you use a larger sized briquette - I wonder what impact that can have on the airflow/temps in the basket? Just a question.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 09:40:45 AM »
I wondered the same thing about size. Those have an indentation on the briquette itself to allow airflow between them. Like I said, second half worked fine. Maybe needed a little longer to light? The side that lit was evenly to the right side of the intake. Side that didn't was On the left. Both sides had about equal amounts of lit charcoal poured in. The basket was full so it not working its way around from the lit side was also strange. It was almost dead split down the middle.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
You will not get the same results in your PBC with various types of charcoal. Even Kingsford regular and competition have different temps. Different charcoal will be processed differently and burn differently in the PBC basket. With a regular Weber kettle you can adjust the upper and lower air shutters to compensate for this. Although the PBC has a adjustment on the lower opening this does not do a bunch without upper adjustment. Keep this in mind when changing fuel brands/types.

I like to go with what I know works for me and gives me the same results everytime when using the PBC.

It is possible that bag was subjected to higher humidity or perhaps exposed to rain.

There is already a certain moisture content to charcoal or it would not stay together.

Your lighting procedure might have been the reason.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »

I completely disagree with that comment Pappy  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »

Count me in ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 06:24:12 PM »

I may not be bright, but I am smart enough to be a chicken!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »
I'm giving it a second chance. Going to allow a bit longer to light before I close it up. I hope I don't regret this. With the briquettes being larger, I have to adjust the amount going into the chimney. I think 40 will clear the whole basket out. Wish me luck! I shall MAKE it happen!
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch