Author Topic: More Smoke Please  (Read 6899 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
More Smoke Please
« Reply #-1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
So if there's one thing that I wish the PBC did a little bit differently was produce a more "smoky" meat. I've tried wood chunks, wood chips, wood chip packets (in aluminum foil) with mixed results from a very mild sweet smoke (this was nice) to that bitter smoke we've all experienced to no additional smoke flavor at all..

Specifically, I like smoky ribs...

So here's a thought. I'm thinking of cold-smoking my racks of ribs for about an hour or so in the gas grill (no gas, just a smoker stick like the A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker) before hanging them in the PBC.

Another thought was to find a way to hang the tube smoker in the PBC along with the meat.

Anyone tried either of these methods (or other variants)? I've got a 6" AMAZE-N tube on order, so I'll post my experimental results here as I go along...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline ronman451

Re: More Smoke Please
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
Hey, I just noticed that A-MAZE-N is a sponsor on this forum! Maybe I shoulda posted this over there.  :) Off to read some posts...
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »
My advice is if you are going to cold-smoke uncured meat: make sure it's a cool day, the PBC is in the shade, and keep it to no longer than 30 minutes.  Longer and it just becomes too risky in my opinion.   Thirty minutes of cold smoke should add a nice smoke level.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline ronman451

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice TentHunteR. I hear you loud and clear. No cold-smoking uncured meat. Bad idea.

On to "plan B",  hanging a tube smoker inside the hot PBC alongside the meat.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 02:24:24 PM »
The PBC is more of a power cooker than a smoker.

The tube sounds like a good option.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:41:05 PM »
When I am in the mood for true smoke flavor, I fire up the off-set. The PBC has such a distinct flavor from the "Grease Fog" it produces, I think added wood gets lost in the shuffle.....

The "Grease Fog" is obtained from the meat drippings and seasonings falling on the lit coals underneath giving the meat that distinct flavor that you can only get from a PBC or UDS (which is more lo and slo)...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Chunk placement is key. Place large  chunks right below your hot coals. Rhett chunks will be well ignited by the time you hang your food.
If you place your chunk above hot coals in the PBC you're wasting wood.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline solobaric

More Smoke Please
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:22:43 PM »
Do you mean place the wood chunks below the charcoal basket itself? Or just place the wood in with the charcoal in the basket?
Traeger Little Texas Elite

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
Do you mean place the wood chunks below the charcoal basket itself? Or just place the wood in with the charcoal in the basket?

This is a good question. I usually put 3-4 fist-sized chunks on the edges of the charcoal basket and get good smoke results...Never thought of putting them down in the basket...
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »
You can bury the chunks between layers of charcoal. They will then ignite during the cook and that can avoid them from getting grease dripped on them when they are set on top of the burning coals..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline amshepar

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
I've used the smaller wood chips with great success.  I simply through them into the coals, about a handful at a time.  I would do this every 45 minutes to an hour.  I get great smoky flavor out of it.

Offline steve0617

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
I've got the 6" Amazn tube I've used with my Weber. Going to buy another grate and cut it with bolt cutters (ala http://www.grilling24x7.com/pbcmod.shtml). Then will hang something on the one side through the hole in the grate. Will cook something I won't care about if it sucks when it's done and then put the tube on the grate with the pellets and see what happens.

Could be good, could be terrible. Will report back.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
Try a different charcoal such as Kingsford Hickory , Stubbs , Royal Oak Lump , etc.
I find the amount of smoke taste from the PBC using a good charcoal (such as listed above) to be just about right for most things I cook - especially chickens which can take on too much smoke using other cooking methods .

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
Chunk placement is key. Place large  chunks right below your hot coals. Rhett chunks will be well ignited by the time you hang your food.
If you place your chunk above hot coals in the PBC you're wasting wood.

What he said (except for the part about Rhett who doesn't really give a damn). Put one or two chunks in the basket and pour the lit coals (from a starter chimney) over them.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline steve0617

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »
I've got the 6" Amazn tube I've used with my Weber. Going to buy another grate and cut it with bolt cutters (ala http://www.grilling24x7.com/pbcmod.shtml). Then will hang something on the one side through the hole in the grate. Will cook something I won't care about if it sucks when it's done and then put the tube on the grate with the pellets and see what happens.

Could be good, could be terrible. Will report back.

Yea it sucked. Burned about a third then went out. As is mentioned here and in my own thread, our PBC's seem to not get enough O2 to keep the pellets burning. Of course, I'm in Denver so that might not help.
Pit Barrel Cooker circa 2015 (enamel coated)
Weber 22.5" Performer Gold Charcoal
Cookshack Smokette SM008 Electric Smoker