Author Topic: More Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
More Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings
« Reply #-1 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:30 AM »
Since the PBC still had lot of charcoal burning hours after I did the ribs earlier today I decided to make use of the heat and threw on some bacon wrapped chicken wings. Yes, 7 hours after I lit the coals to do the ribs there was still enough heat do do some chicken wings on the grill grate in the PBC.

Sauced with Jack Daniels No 7 BBQ sauce that I mixed with apple juice 3:1 ratio, 1/4 cup apple juice, 3/4 cup BBQ sauce and added a 1/4 cup of Sriracha sauce to kick it up a notch.

Ready to eat.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: More Bacon Wrapped Chicken Wings
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
Way to make use of the extra fuel!

The PBC holds a good temp for many hours.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:39 AM »
Nice wangs!! Is the skin crispy under the bacon or chewey?
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
LOOKING GOOD!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
Nice wangs!! Is the skin crispy under the bacon or chewey?

The skin under the bacon isn't crispy but the crispy bacon makes up for it.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »
Some great wings Cajun!!! I like your sauce mix but would have to cut the hot some for me! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
The wings look good. For your ribs, could you have used too much charcoal which caused too high a temp? 7 hours later seems like a lot of charcoal. I don't have a PBC yet, still waiting on email price, so just going by a friends ugly drum smoker cooking.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
Oh man...!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:23:07 PM »
Nice. I've never done bacon-wrapped wings before, but I guarantee I will be very soon!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
The wings look good. For your ribs, could you have used too much charcoal which caused too high a temp? 7 hours later seems like a lot of charcoal. I don't have a PBC yet, still waiting on email price, so just going by a friends ugly drum smoker cooking.

I filled the charcoal basket as recommended in the video, I believe the temps inside the barrel are more dependent on the air flow and density than the amount of charcoal.  Sure if you only use a handful of charcoal you might get lower temps but it wouldn't be enough to cook with.  I don't think using less than a full basket, say even 1/2 or 1/3 basket would have lowered the temp inside the barrel while the ribs were cooking.  I'm going to close the air vent a little more on the next attempt and see what happens. I also noted that the PBC was sitting out in direct sunlight of a Las Vegas summer, temps well over 100F, that might have some affect too.
----------------------

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »
I know on my Weber that if I choke down the vent at the bottom and open the top wide open it slows down the cooking. Wonder if that would help you. I can then close it down if I wanna reuse some charcoal later too. I have cut way back on my amount of charcoal I am using also..I was using way too much.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
Some great wings Cajun!!! I like your sauce mix but would have to cut the hot some for me! Don

It was not as hot as it sounds, even my Midwestern wife from Illinois liked the sauce on them and until she met me the spicest thing she ever ate was black pepper.  Maybe you can try it with an 1/8 of a cup of the hot stuff to 1 cup of sauce/apple juice mix.
----------------------

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 01:24:58 PM »
The wings look good, never seen them bacon wrapped before.  You need to adjust the vent at the bottom to a 1/4.  Then if you want to get it lower, you can stuff aluiminom foil in the holes at the top.  Just in one or two holes.  Some people also use a magnet to partially cover the bottom vent. 
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »
I know on my Weber that if I choke down the vent at the bottom and open the top wide open it slows down the cooking. Wonder if that would help you. I can then close it down if I wanna reuse some charcoal later too. I have cut way back on my amount of charcoal I am using also..I was using way too much.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I know that works on Weber's, I have two (WSM & WSJ), not sure if that can be done effectively on a PBC.  The pictures below show the vents on a PBC, the first one is the bottom vent that is supposed to be adjusted according to the altitude you're cooking at, in my case 1/4 open for altitudes up to 2000' MSL.  NOTE: This picture shows the vent as closed at it will get, there is still some air gap and I did not cook the ribs in this configuration, I had it 1/4 open as recommended in the PBC instructions.  I may try my next ribs with the vent as shown and see what the results are.

The second picture shows the vents the PBC has on top, the four holes, two on each side for the rebar to fit in.  The only vent adjustments that can be made on the top side is to remove the rebar, which I'm told will increase the temps inside the barrel and/or offset the lid to provide more air that will also increase the temps inside the barrel.

I know that I can stuff foil in the vents to completely shut it down and save the unspent charcoal for the next cook.  I need to fiddle with the air vent some more to slow down the cooking time on the ribs. Good thing I didn't use my Kingsford Compitition for this one.  ???
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:35:33 PM by Las Vegan Cajun »
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
The wings look good, never seen them bacon wrapped before.  You need to adjust the vent at the bottom to a 1/4.  Then if you want to get it lower, you can stuff aluiminom foil in the holes at the top.  Just in one or two holes.  Some people also use a magnet to partially cover the bottom vent.

1/4 is where I had the vent set for this cook, the tin foil idea seems like my next move along with closing the bottom vent a little more than 1/4, maybe an 1/8 or as far as it will go like in my picture above.  Outdoor temps in the heat of a Las Vegas summer, well over 100F in direct sunlight, may have contributed to the higher cooking temps, I'll have to take that into consideration too.
----------------------