Author Topic: Thin blue smoke on Pit Barrel Cooker  (Read 14430 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Thin blue smoke on Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »
Wow, I have never come across any of those. I guess it won't be available anywhere else but in the U.S.
By the way, I have got feedback from the moderators on the Meathead website and they reckon not to use any wood on the Pit Barrel Cooker to achieve that light smokey taste that blue smoke provides. Charcoal is enough. According to Amber, the competition team of the Pit Barrel Cooker Co. does not even use wood in competitions. I find that quite remarkable. I guess, I just have to wait until I get my Pit Barrel Cooker in June and then try for myself.

I concur with what you were told. I really do like the flavor that I am getting off of my PBC just using straight Kingsford. I have not added any wood chunks or chips myself to any of my PBC cooks yet ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sweetbread

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »
I agree that you don't have to add any wood - the flavor you get from charcoal alone is fantastic.  I have experimented with adding wood/mojobricks on pork butts and ribs and have had good results.  I typically don't add any extra wood when I cook chicken/turkeys. 
Pit Barrel Cooker, CharGriller Akorn, and Weber Jumbo Joe.

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 07:29:54 AM »
The A-Maze-N Tube instructions say, "Do not place directly above or adjacent to a heat source or open flame."

Not owning one or ever using one I really can’t give an educated response, but has anyone tired using the A-Maze-N Tube smoker or just adding pellets to the fire?

Offline RAD

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
Do you always follow directions.  ;D

The A-Maze-N Tube instructions say, "Do not place directly above or adjacent to a heat source or open flame."

Not owning one or ever using one I really can’t give an educated response, but has anyone tired using the A-Maze-N Tube smoker or just adding pellets to the fire?
Love to cook and eat

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 01:45:49 PM »
Heh - my wife would say I never follow directions.

But yeah, sort of...  I follow directions until I feel I've figured out the reasons behind them - then I bend them at will ;)

Do you always follow directions.  ;D

Offline Sweetbread

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
I have tried the Amaze-n-tube in mine and even when I followed the directions, I had trouble keeping it lit.  Any suggestions on what I did wrong?  I placed it next to the intake opening at the bottom and was using the 6 inch tube.

Offline Pappymn

Thin blue smoke on Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
I have tried the Amaze-n-tube in mine and even when I followed the directions, I had trouble keeping it lit.  Any suggestions on what I did wrong?  I placed it next to the intake opening at the bottom and was using the 6 inch tube.

I use one of those hand held torch things. And I keep it one the pellets for a solid minute or so. I had your problem at first, realized I wasn't lighting it well enough.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Sweetbread

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I will have to use my torch longer next time.  I'm pretty certain that was my mistake.  How long do you let it burn before you blow the flame out?

Offline Pappymn

Thin blue smoke on Pit Barrel Cooker
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 12:09:54 AM »
I don't blow any flame out
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RAD

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 06:23:26 AM »
I don't blow any flame out
Same here. Let it burnout
Love to cook and eat

Offline ThomEmery

• Serving Jesus and great BBQ
    • BBQ Thom
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 12:03:56 AM »

I use one of those hand held torch things. And I keep it one the pellets for a solid minute or so. I had your problem at first, realized I wasn't lighting it well enough.

A couple of shots of clear alcohol based hand sanitizer will  get the pellets in the tube going very quickly 
Past President CBBQA
Go Ducks

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »

A couple of shots of clear alcohol based hand sanitizer will  get the pellets in the tube going very quickly

That sounds like a great idea, will have to try that.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)