Author Topic: Going to do my first cook tomorrow, need some advice...  (Read 2763 times)

Offline batsu

Going to do my first cook tomorrow, need some advice...
« Reply #-1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
My new PBC arrived today, so excited!  I ordered it from a reseller here in Canada as the shipping is expensive from the US.   The catch, it comes with a cover instead of the two bottles of rub.  I was hoping to try out the amazing looking chicken recipe but the shipping cost for the rub is more than 3x the cost.

Can anyone recommend a similar rub or a recipe for one?  Also is there anything I need to look out for during the cook?  Or is it pretty much set it and forget it like the videos?

Offline Kona

it's pretty much set it and forget it. Just make sure your bottom vent is set accordingly per your sea level etc and you should be fine. I don't know of any rubs that would be close to theirs but I'm sure any good rub you use will produce excellent results :)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Going to do my first cook tomorrow, need some advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »
Follow the Instructions and you will be fine,  Have Fun!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
Best way to learn the PBC is to follow the videos to the letter then make any minor adjustments you want to after you see the basic way.  As to the rub, I'm not sure what you might have available but watch the sugar content.  High sugar rubs will turn dark in the PBC but that does not mean the meat is burned -- just that the sugar turned dark in the relatively higher heat.  FWIW I most often use Smokin' Guns Hot (which loses its heat in the cooking process but is slightly lower in sugar than lots of others).

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »
I have had my PBC over 5 years and still follow Noahs videos.

I would leave one re-bar out when doing chicken. I would run the rebar diagonally across the barrel. this way you are running along the middle of the barrel and you have the two extra holes open.

Why you do that with chicken?  You will cook a little hotter and have a better chance of crispier skin.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »
My new PBC arrived today, so excited!  I ordered it from a reseller here in Canada as the shipping is expensive from the US.   The catch, it comes with a cover instead of the two bottles of rub.  I was hoping to try out the amazing looking chicken recipe but the shipping cost for the rub is more than 3x the cost.

Can anyone recommend a similar rub or a recipe for one?  Also is there anything I need to look out for during the cook?  Or is it pretty much set it and forget it like the videos?

Good luck with your PBC.  About the rub, in a bind plain Kosher salt and pepper will make a good flavor enhancer. 

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Like Smoke I still watch  Noah's videos before I cook. As far as rubs go I wouldn't worry to much about not getting the PBC rubs. They are pretty good but, I find them a little salty for my taste. There are several good rubs on grocery store shelves or make your own. All that said....you have one of the best smokers around. Oh by the way I had lot rather have the cover than the rub.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
Like Smoke I still watch  Noah's videos before I cook. As far as rubs go I wouldn't worry to much about not getting the PBC rubs. They are pretty good but, I find them a little salty for my taste. There are several good rubs on grocery store shelves or make your own. All that said....you have one of the best smokers around. Oh by the way I had lot rather have the cover than the rub.

I forget where I read a earlier PBC review where they mentioned Noah was a self proclaimed "Salt lover" and it sure shows in his rubs. If they could keep the two flavor profiles in tact and cut the saltiness down, I would load up for sure  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline batsu

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »

Yah I feel like it's a pretty good deal to get the cover instead.  :)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »
I still have my rubs, mostly un-used, not because they are bad, but more because I like making my own rubs and flavors.  I like the rubs but I would much rather have a cover than the rubs.

I too run the rebar diagonally when doing chicken for the higher temps.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline marty22877

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
how long does it take to cook the chicken with the rebar on a diagonal like that?

Offline akruckus

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »
how long does it take to cook the chicken with the rebar on a diagonal like that?

Sorry for long delay. Things have been crazy the past few weeks. The chicken always takes me 75-90 minutes. I'm at 289ft above sea level and when doing only chicken I do use competition briquettes that burn hotter than standard kingsford.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »
The "Lighting Your PBC" video on the pitbarrelcooker.com website is a great video for new PBC owners. The lighting process is very important. Hopefully we can get the Pit Barrel Cooker rubs into Canada soon!

Offline akruckus

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 06:46:03 AM »
The "Lighting Your PBC" video on the pitbarrelcooker.com website is a great video for new PBC owners. The lighting process is very important. Hopefully we can get the Pit Barrel Cooker rubs into Canada soon!

Starting with a good base of coals is the most important thing.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759