Author Topic: Foil around rebar?  (Read 1962 times)

Offline USCTrojan

Foil around rebar?
« Reply #-1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:26:41 AM »
So I've noticed that a few members place foil around their rebars. This seems like an easy way to reduce temp/increase cooking time. Can anyone provide an estimate on just how much the temperature is reduced? I know it's not an exact science.

I live here in So Cal, and I'm rather close to the beach. Nice, cool dense air is pretty common where I live so my PBC is running hot on most occasions...even with the air vent completely closed.

I would like to slow things down a bit and reduce temp.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:12:47 AM by USCTrojan »

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Foil around rebar?
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »
If I am only using one rebar I usually use a wine cork to plug the two unused holes.  Depending on the day I have managed to run the barrel temp between 225-240F.  I generally don't use my Maverick in the PBC unless I am making pulled pork (or if I ever get around to doing a brisket in there).  I used it the first time I plugged the holes making ribs and it was about 225-230F, then the next time I made pulled pork I used it because I was probing the pork butt.  The barrel temperature was pretty steady at 235F.  I know the best way to get better at BBQ is keeping track of everything temp, timing, etc, however when I use the PBC I go by the type of smoking coming from the barrel.  As long as it is clear I let it ride, if it starts to get dirty I give it a little more air to clean it up.  Both times I was cooking with standard Kingsford charcoal, with a couple chunks of apple wood, and maybe a mini split of maple.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:34 AM »
Some people have also used magnets to cover the holes.

Your main way of controlling temps on the PBC is through those holes. The bottom one does not really do too much.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:34:12 AM »
The top holes aid in pulling the air through the barrel. Those little bendable square magnets work like a charm.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
The top holes aid in pulling the air through the barrel. Those little bendable square magnets work like a charm.....
They do. But I rarely monitor temps on PBC but know it burns slower and lower.

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:43:55 AM »
So I've noticed that a few members place foil around their rebars. This seems like an easy way to reduce temp/increase cooking time. Can anyone provide an estimate on just how much the temperature is reduced? I know it's not an exact science.

I live here in So Cal, and I'm rather close to the beach. Nice, cool dense air is pretty common where I live so my PBC is running hot on most occasions...even with the air vent completely closed.

I would like to slow things down a bit and reduce temp.

Thanks in advance!

I find that wrapping both sides of a rebar  with foil will bring down the pit temp significantly -which can be up to 50 degrees.  This is done with the rebar in place so you can use it to hang meat. If you don't need one of the rebars then you can plug both holes - others have used some kind of magnet and I would like to know what type and/or where this can be purchased since it seems like a good idea

Offline Kona

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »
Has anyone who has plugged holes found that the food produced was better than the food produced without plugging the holes?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
Has anyone who has plugged holes found that the food produced was better than the food produced without plugging the holes?
Well some things better I guess. I like my ribs and butts low and slow. For me that gets a more tender and tastier end product. Chicken on the PBC is better IMO at a little elevated temp. Taste-wise no difference.

Offline Kona

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »
Well some things better I guess. I like my ribs and butts low and slow. For me that gets a more tender and tastier end product. Chicken on the PBC is better IMO at a little elevated temp. Taste-wise no difference.

I'd be curious to try my next butt by plugging some holes. I've nailed my ribs with the standard setup and haven't looked back
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline USCTrojan

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 03:47:05 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback.