Author Topic: Meat touching your coals?? Here's a tip  (Read 20838 times)

Offline USCTrojan

Meat touching your coals?? Here's a tip
« Reply #-1 on: May 22, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
As you know some slabs of ribs are inherently longer than others. Using the PBC can cause an issue because there is the risk of the slab touching the hot charcoal when the meat is hung from the rebar.

One trick that was beneficial to me was double hooking longer slabs and hanging the meat from the second hook. (The hook that is furthest from the rebar)  This positions the meat further away from the coals. 

During the cook, the meat should shrink. At this point, (using both hands)I use one hook remover to  gently lift the slab off the rebar, while using another hook remover to re-hang the meat on the rebar by the 1st hook. If you don't have two hook removers, and nice set of metal tongs can be used to hold the meat while you re-hang the meat.

I hope this helps! Don't burn those ends!

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Meat touching your coals?? Here's a tip
« on: May 22, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
Thank- you, Great tip!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:27:44 PM »
That IS a great tip!

Thanks Trojan!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
Yea you got it....I did a big brisket like that last week. Thanks for posting.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:27:18 AM »
As you know some slabs of ribs are inherently longer than others. Using the PBC can cause an issue because there is the risk of the slab touching the hot charcoal when the meat is hung from the rebar.

One trick that was beneficial to me was double hooking longer slabs and hanging the meat from the second hook. (The hook that is furthest from the rebar)  This positions the meat further away from the coals. 

During the cook, the meat should shrink. At this point, (using both hands)I use one hook remover to  gently lift the slab off the rebar, while using another hook remover to re-hang the meat on the rebar by the 1st hook. If you don't have two hook removers, and nice set of metal tongs can be used to hold the meat while you re-hang the meat.

Another alternative, if you have enough hooks, is to cut the rack in half so it won't hang near the coals

Offline PhilW

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »
How far does the bottom of the meat need to be from the top of the coals? Looking to try my first brisket and researching my options between hang or grate.

Offline rcrabb22

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 03:19:00 PM »

I usually hang 3 racks for my rib cooks.  I cut the racks in half and hang 6 half racks.
Weber Kettle
PBC
Kitchen aide NG (not that happy with it
should have bought a Weber)
Thermapen MK4
ThermoWorks Smoke
Kal Clone Electric Brewery (theelectricbrewery.com)

Offline Rook

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
I’ve been folding the top two or three ribs over to prevent this.  Hooking like this will also prevent losing the ribs to the fire if you let them go too long and they are separating from the bone.  Feel like an idiot for not just cutting them in half!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 10:07:20 AM »
*I'm having trouble visualizing this method (I'm sure it's good though) , so for longer rib slabs I cut the slabs in half and hang as usual from hook / rebar ... Less weight also to minimize part of a heavier slab breaking off and falling into the coals .