Author Topic: PBC Mod  (Read 2483 times)

Offline bobh665

PBC Mod
« Reply #-1 on: May 23, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
I know some people use fire bricks to cut down on the amount of KB used for fast cooks. I was at Lowes and saw these for $14 and thought they might work in my PBC.  There for Weber kettles. They come 2 to a box. Besides using less KB if you hang your chicken on the side where there are no coals you can control the drippings for those that dont want as much smoke or charcoal flavor.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: PBC Mod
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:45:46 PM »
Just wondering if the barrel will get hot enough using one basket..................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bobh665

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Just wondering if the barrel will get hot enough using one basket..................

AClark44 posted this awhile ago with good results. Thats where I got the idea from.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=14538.msg195502#msg195502

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »

Yes it will.  It is more of a function of how many lit coals you have releasing energy as opposed to the quantity which can extend the cook time, IMHO

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
Wish I had thought of that. I have used brick a few times to use just half the basket.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Will 40 briquettes fit in one of those baskets?   If not it won't get the PBC to the temp you want in my opinion.  If it'll hold 40 ypu wont have issies with temperature.   Also, even if it holds 40, you may wanna use both (they come in a set) especially if you are needing to cook for up to 2 hours......

Even still I'm not sure it'll work or not.  The fire brick will radiate heat which allows for a more even temperature throughout the PBC just like if you used the whole basket.  You'll notice a very minor difference from the coal side compared to the side without coals but it's minimal.  I'm thinking the weber baskets will cause a greater temp different.
If you go to a brick yard, you can get the bricks Cheap.  I got mine for $1.70 each....Lowe's and Home Depot are rip offs for fire brick. 

Here's a couple pics.....It works well!

Offline bobh665

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Will 40 briquettes fit in one of those baskets?   If not it won't get the PBC to the temp you want in my opinion.  If it'll hold 40 ypu wont have issies with temperature.   Also, even if it holds 40, you may wanna use both (they come in a set) especially if you are needing to cook for up to 2 hours......

Even still I'm not sure it'll work or not.  The fire brick will radiate heat which allows for a more even temperature throughout the PBC just like if you used the whole basket.  You'll notice a very minor difference from the coal side compared to the side without coals but it's minimal.  I'm thinking the weber baskets will cause a greater temp different.
If you go to a brick yard, you can get the bricks Cheap.  I got mine for $1.70 each....Lowe's and Home Depot are rip offs for fire brick. 

Here's a couple pics.....It works well!

No doubt the bricks help radiate the heat. Im planning on putting the KB on the PB side not in the basket so Im sure I can get at least 40 in there.

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:59:55 PM »
Ah!  I get what you are doing now!  Yeah that'll work.  Again, you may notice some temp difference but maybe not too bad.  Let us know how it works out

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:35:10 AM »
Both are great ideas!   :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 03:07:20 PM »
I know some people use fire bricks to cut down on the amount of KB used for fast cooks. I was at Lowes and saw these for $14 and thought they might work in my PBC.  There for Weber kettles. They come 2 to a box. Besides using less KB if you hang your chicken on the side where there are no coals you can control the drippings for those that dont want as much smoke or charcoal flavor.

I also have a PK Grill which lacks a coal basket. For this I purchased from Amazon a mesh basket (used for a kitchen drawer) to place the coals in.  It really works well and I will try this next time on the PBC when doing a short cook.  I also do not care for the "smoke fog" taste I get with chicken and hope this will solve the problem

[attachments deleted after 6 months]