Author Topic: PBC Mod - The Test  (Read 2746 times)

Offline bobh665

PBC Mod - The Test
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
Made up a jerk seasoning I have been wanting to try. Seasoned the chicken about six hours before i started the cook and put in the frig.

Filled the basket even then filled my small Weber charcoal starter from the basket and started as I usually do.

I placed one half over the coal side and the other half on the side not under to coals. Cooked for 2 hours 10 minutes withe lid cracked the last 30 minutes. Checking the temps of the chicken there was no difference between the two halves.

Still plenty of heat after cooking.

The chicken turned out great. My wife noticed right away it didnt have the  dirty smoke taste. It was definitely milder. I noticed during the cook that there was much less smoke coming from the PBC. Im not sure if thats from drying the chicken out in the fridge or that only half the chicken was over the coals or a combination of both.

Offline tomcrete1

Re: PBC Mod - The Test
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:24 PM »
Looks great! Kinda like cooking indirect not really but yes...
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »
Nice work.   Once I understood what you planned to do I figured it would work well.

By the way if you are trying to avoid drippings hitting the coals, I've seen someone (I believe Regular Guy) use 3 firebricks outside the coal basket and then sat a grill grate on the bricks.  If you do that you can put a drip pan or diffuser plate on the grate.  Works well and non-permanent.   Now I've also seen where a guy measured 1/2" above the coal basket handle and drilled 3 holes in the PBC.  He put stainless steel bolts in which holds a grill grate for the same thing as mentioned above but obviously a permanent mod. 
I will probably do one of the above because, as much as I enjoy the flavor produced by drippings hitting the coals, sometimes I want the different flavor of a more wood smoked cook.  Right now I just use my kettle for that but it limits the amount I can cook.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »
Great post and some good looking chicken too!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline bobh665

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:01:15 PM »
Nice work.   Once I understood what you planned to do I figured it would work well.

By the way if you are trying to avoid drippings hitting the coals, I've seen someone (I believe Regular Guy) use 3 firebricks outside the coal basket and then sat a grill grate on the bricks.  If you do that you can put a drip pan or diffuser plate on the grate.  Works well and non-permanent.   Now I've also seen where a guy measured 1/2" above the coal basket handle and drilled 3 holes in the PBC.  He put stainless steel bolts in which holds a grill grate for the same thing as mentioned above but obviously a permanent mod. 
I will probably do one of the above because, as much as I enjoy the flavor produced by drippings hitting the coals, sometimes I want the different flavor of a more wood smoked cook.  Right now I just use my kettle for that but it limits the amount I can cook.

I just used your idea and did it a different way. I just wanted to use less KB for short cooks. The fact that I can control the drippings with chicken is a bonus. Chicken is the only thing my wife didnt like before tonight.

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »

I just used your idea and did it a different way. I just wanted to use less KB for short cooks. The fact that I can control the drippings with chicken is a bonus. Chicken is the only thing my wife didnt like before tonight.

Curious to know how different in taste was the chicken - over the coals and not over?  When I do chicken the regular way (all over the coals), it almost tastes like it was boiled-which is in fact what happens as the smoke coming out is a lot of steam

Offline bobh665

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »

Curious to know how different in taste was the chicken - over the coals and not over?  When I do chicken the regular way (all over the coals), it almost tastes like it was boiled-which is in fact what happens as the smoke coming out is a lot of steam

Both sides tasted the same. Definitely less of a charcoal taste than a full basket.