Author Topic: First Pizza in PBC  (Read 4953 times)

Offline amshepar

Re: First Pizza in PBC
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
I've done a few pizzas and it has always taken me longer to cook than what Noah has done in the videos.  It is very important that the stone is covered in flour the first couple of cooks because the dough will stick to it otherwise.  But the end result is amazing!

I too just pick up the stone out of the PBC directly.  It fits in the PBC perfectly.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »
I have the stone you are looking at....But after discovering a steel - I don't use the stone anymore.  Would think that the Grill Grates - turned upside down would produce a similar effect of the steel - which is it is a great heat collector. What thickness of crust are you aiming for?

The Emile Henry stone, being ceramic - tends to insulate, and "diffuse" the heat, and will cook a medium to thick crust better IMHO.. The steel - and my "bet" the aluminum of the Grill Grates - act as a collector, and being metal - transfer that heat faster. SO - you will get a better  thin crust.

If you are looking at a thicker pie, and longer cook - the EH ceramic may do what you want. If you are a really thin crust guy...you need much more heat to produce the kind of crust combined with that glutinous "tug" of a good crust.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 11:16:22 AM »
I have the stone you are looking at....But after discovering a steel - I don't use the stone anymore.  Would think that the Grill Grates - turned upside down would produce a similar effect of the steel - which is it is a great heat collector. What thickness of crust are you aiming for?

The Emile Henry stone, being ceramic - tends to insulate, and "diffuse" the heat, and will cook a medium to thick crust better IMHO.. The steel - and my "bet" the aluminum of the Grill Grates - act as a collector, and being metal - transfer that heat faster. SO - you will get a better  thin crust.

If you are looking at a thicker pie, and longer cook - the EH ceramic may do what you want. If you are a really thin crust guy...you need much more heat to produce the kind of crust combined with that glutinous "tug" of a good crust.

My preference is for "hand tossed" style pizzas. Coming from St. Louis, you'd think I'd only like the thin crust Imo's type of pizza, but that's not the case. In terms of similar/ideal product, Papa Johns is about the thickness I like.
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Nice looking pizzas, I think I will give this a whirl instead of the oven.  Will keep the house cooler this summer too!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
I agree with T2 for a crispy thin crust the steel is perfect. For a softer / chewy crust I do like the Emil Henry.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline scottv

First Pizza in PBC
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:15 PM »
Looks good. If you ever make it into Dallas you need to go to Jimmy's food store.  You can buy pizza dough balls imported from Jersey. Can't get any better than that

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline SPAM

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 02:03:58 AM »
Very nice lookin pizzas...I need to give t his a go. And more importantly, nothing brings family together for a good time more than a backyard bbq!
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
tee, great info on crust!!! my wife liked the ones we made that day but said she wouldn't have minded it a little more crispy/crustier, so good to know!!!

bro in law, remember josh's wife has the same dietary restrictions as your fiance, so e-mail him for the recipe he used for the dough.

thanks everyone for the comments, perhaps i should pull out the stone and get a pizza goin this weekend!