Author Topic: Gen1 PBC Runs Cool  (Read 2917 times)

Offline HOOSIERPBC

Gen1 PBC Runs Cool
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
Want to hear from the PBC Experts. Here's my situation: I use the Standard Kingsford Briquetts. Except for the first time when I left the 40 coals in the chimney 20 mins, and let the coal basket sit for 20 mins before putting the meat in, my PBC runs cooler (225-260) using the 15min/15 min lighting that is more appropriate for my altitude in IN. What I've gone to doing is removing one piece of rear during the meat hanging phase, and both during the meat foiled on the grill grate phase. That gets the temp @food level to be 280-325. I don't think I should have to do this. Thinking about trying the Competition Briquetts. Less chemicals too.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Gen1 PBC Runs Cool
« on: June 20, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
Have you contacted Noah or Amber about this?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »
As I was learning to use the PBC I found Noah and Amber to be extremely responsive to my questions (not sure I would have had their patience.) Once I got used to it, I have found it almost always does exactly what it is supposed to do. I have to admit, I do not measure the temp of the unit and only check the temp of my food near the expected end of the cook. I just use my Thermapen - no external monitor, etc. I think I've mentioned before, I am pretty much a happy luddite. That's one of the reasons I like this cooker.

So - sorry for the long response - The Smoke is right, give Noah and Amber a call or drop them a note.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:52:43 PM »
When mine ran cool I found longer start times,like 25-30 mins in chimney and in pan and coals FULLY lit  before closing  made the difference,Im at 5000 feet
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
When mine ran cool I found longer start times,like 25-30 mins in chimney and in pan and coals FULLY lit  before closing  made the difference,Im at 5000 feet

You are so correct Spuds, I have had to cook a little longer in mine since moving up here....................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline HOOSIERPBC

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:15:52 PM »
Central IN is only @800 ft above sea level. Based on N&A's instructions a lighting routine of 15/15 minutes SHOULD be adequate. I may give the Kingsfords in the chimney 20 minutes before dumping them in the coal basket for 15 minutes, to see if that gets me to the normal operating temps of 260-310.
I'm thinking of adding a second PBC to give me more capacity for when I do parties that want multiple meats. $300.00 sure beats the $1200.00 price of a 36" offset smoker(Lang), or Pig Roaster(Meadow Creek)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
As 1Bigg-ER points out,none of their times are carved in stone,you have to make it your own.Thats about the best advice Ive seen on this machine.Work on your precook coal lighting times and you will get it right.Next is setting your vent opening open enough.My best results have been with the coals fully lit with a bit of ash forming on all to get best stable cooks.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
As I was learning to use the PBC I found Noah and Amber to be extremely responsive to my questions (not sure I would have had their patience.) Once I got used to it, I have found it almost always does exactly what it is supposed to do. I have to admit, I do not measure the temp of the unit and only check the temp of my food near the expected end of the cook. I just use my Thermapen - no external monitor, etc. I think I've mentioned before, I am pretty much a happy luddite. That's one of the reasons I like this cooker.

So - sorry for the long response - The Smoke is right, give Noah and Amber a call or drop them a note.

You forgot to tell you use lighter fluid. lol  I use LF to and never had a problem....and no bad taste.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 08:57:03 PM »

You forgot to tell you use lighter fluid. lol  I use LF to and never had a problem....and no bad taste.

You are right - I guess I assumed it was part of following the original instructions. But, yes, I did and still do use lighter fluid (Kingston.) I too have never "tasted" it. Likely because I let the coals burn for 20 minutes.

I have said in several posts, I am pretty simple and other than cameras and computers, pretty low tech. That was one of the things that attracted me (and kept me) to the PBC. As muebe, and others point out this can be a pretty much set it and forget it, power cooker. Yes, there are many mods and things that can make it even better, but for me - it just plain works when I follow the instructions.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:26 AM »
225-260 is about right for blue bag. The PBC will cook at whatever temp it feels like landing on that day.
If you still want the higher temp stick a tiny piece of wood (flat is best) under the lid. Trust me that little space created by the piece of wood will Jack up your temp.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »
I also have found the lighter fluid lighting method to be the most consistent. I have gradually upped the time I let my coals burn from around 15 minutes, to the current 25 minutes, which gets my PBC FIRED UP. If I have the patience to wait 25 minutes to put the meat on, I've never had a single issue with a cool, and she stays HOT, even many hours later.
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline amshepar

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »
I always do 20 minutes.  I use the lighter fluid method.  At 15 minutes I don't believe you are getting the temperature high enough and have had enough burn time on the charcoal to get them ready.  I imagine with the Chimney Starter you are really cutting it short because it takes a minute or two for the unlit coals to get going once you dump in the 40 from the starter.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 03:50:26 PM »
This is an interesting discussion. And there are many ways to light your fire....This video is close to what I do, except I roll the newspaper from corner to corner, and little tighter than in the video. It provides a bit more air passage thru the middle of the charcoals. And then I use a MAPP gas torch ( or propane ) to light the paper thru the holes around the bottom part of the chimney.  Also - note that this guy is using a different brand and type than KBB - but the principle applies to both lump and briquettes.

Why do it this way?

1. I am cheap. Why buy lighter fluid - when I always have newspaper. ;)
2. All news print ink is now a bio degradable soy based ink.
3. I do not like lighter fluid's potential of mess, and taste. Yes - I can taste it, even after complete "burn off". Lets call that my "anomaly".  But, if I don't have to add more  petro chemicals to my cooking...I feel better about it too. Just my opinion, and I respect that yours may vary.

Now:
We know that charcoal - like any fuel source - has a finite amount of stored energy we call BTUs. From the time we light the charcoal - we are using those BTUs.
So the question is at WHAT point do we dump the charcoal into our PBC ( if you are using the charcoal chimney ) or when are they ready to cook on?
I think there are a couple of things to consider in answering that:
1. Do you have starter fluid that you want to burn off? I am going out on a limb and saying the universal answer is YES. ;D
2. If using the newspaper method - How long before the charcoal is ready to charcoal pour into the PBC charcoal basket ?

I find that usually within 10,( and less than 15 minutes even in cold weather ) of lighting my chimneys - I can look down into them, and see the coals near the bottom are glowing red, and the edges of some of the coals on the top are beginning to get white edges. Just barely....So I pick them up, give them a couple of shakes -

Then - I dump them in the basket. And by the time I walk into the kitchen and bring the meat I am going to cook - I have for a pit that is up to temp or will be once I put the lid on. If I wait longer - I am only allowing those BTUs to be expended/burned - and I will not get the temps or times that I want. If I were to wait until ALL of the charcoal is ignited and glowing - I will not get as much heat energy - for as long.....Because some of it has already burned away.

So, I am suggesting that you may want to re-examine the length of time you are waiting, your methods of lighting - and it's relationship to the temp/time you are getting from your charcoal. It may be worth trying some other methods.....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:55:23 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401