Author Topic: Creosote problem or not in PBC ??  (Read 4019 times)

Offline jjjonz

Creosote problem or not in PBC ??
« Reply #-1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:20:21 PM »
Having a problem and thought I would run it by you folks before I called Noah. I have had my PBC for a couple of months now and thought I had it down pretty good. It is about the only thing I have cooked on since I got it. I cooked 2 large butts on it last week that turned out great. Today I was going to cook some chicken halves ....did everything a usual...full basket of Kingsford blue and lite with fluid...let burn for 25 minutes and put lid on ....let it burn for 30 minutes before I hung the chicken.....checked temp before I opened the lid to hang chicken,325 degrees.....I opened the lid and it was wet with brown grease and smelled like creosote.....I wiped it down and cooked the chicken, it was delicious. After I ate and the PBC cooled down....I wiped my finger across the bottom of the lid and it had the brown grease on again with a slight creosote smell....not quite as bad as before. It could have been going on the whole time...just didn't notice.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline 1Bigg_ER

Re: Creosote problem or not in PBC ??
« on: June 29, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »
Leave the lid slightly cracked open after a cooking session. Let it burn out. I call it the PBC self cleaning cycle.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »
Thanks....I was just wondering if that is normal on the PBC.
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
I have not experienced that....But, like Biggs - I usually leave the lid cracked, and even pull the re-bar out, and it will runt the temp. up  for a while - until the charcoal  is expended.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:42:04 PM »
Could be the problem...been pulling the rebar and closing the holes....saving charcoal. Saving charcoal you know. :D
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
I've never had the problem, but like T, I tend to either crack the lid or leave it off to burn off the leftover charcoal. I guess I've never tried to save the charcoal figuring it was pretty much spent and would not behave the same way as fresh for the next cook. Also makes clean up a lot easier.

I do try to cook as much as I can each time to maximize the value of the full basket of charcoal. So, generally there is not a lot left.

I have to wonder if when closing everything down to smother the fire, if this doesn't create a different type of smoke as the coals die...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:16 PM »
You would thing it would be a drier smoke since the meat is not inside to make moisture,but who knows.I will keep experimenting and maybe find out something.
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:08 PM »
Could be the problem...been pulling the rebar and closing the holes....saving charcoal. Saving charcoal you know. :D

You can do that but you starve the coals of oxygen and creating nasty smoke that's trapped in there.
Maybe save some but make it a point to burn it every now and then.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
You would thing it would be a drier smoke since the meat is not inside to make moisture,but who knows.I will keep experimenting and maybe find out something.

I can think of 3 possibilities for the moisture you are seeing:

1.the moisture is actually the fats ( grease fog) that are steamed off the coals and grate, walls, etc. and collect at the top because heat rises, and the temperature is waning.

2.If you have some very high humidity, as the fire is dying down, the air drawn in is not heated enough to completely evaporate any latent moisture in the air. So it steams up the interior of the lid.

3. A combination of #1 and #2...?
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:30:48 PM »
Another good thing to do when the PBC is cool. Wad up a pc of HD foil and wipe off the inside of the lid. It will keep little flakes of build up from falling on your grub.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:13 AM »
I've never had the problem, but like T, I tend to either crack the lid or leave it off to burn off the leftover charcoal. I guess I've never tried to save the charcoal figuring it was pretty much spent and would not behave the same way as fresh for the next cook. Also makes clean up a lot easier.

I do try to cook as much as I can each time to maximize the value of the full basket of charcoal. So, generally there is not a lot left.

I have to wonder if when closing everything down to smother the fire, if this doesn't create a different type of smoke as the coals die...

I'm going along with this theory, too. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »

I can think of 3 possibilities for the moisture you are seeing:

1.the moisture is actually the fats ( grease fog) that are steamed off the coals and grate, walls, etc. and collect at the top because heat rises, and the temperature is waning.

2.If you have some very high humidity, as the fire is dying down, the air drawn in is not heated enough to completely evaporate any latent moisture in the air. So it steams up the interior of the lid.

3. A combination of #1 and #2...?

I think you hit it on the head...I had cooked 32 lbs of butt before the next cook and here in south Alabama the humidity wa about 95 % . Butt do have a lot of fat and moisture for sure plus the high humidity. Next time like the others said,I will have some hamburgers or something to finish uo burning the coals. Thanks all.
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx