Author Topic: First cook question  (Read 3033 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: First cook question
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »
I have had my PBC for darn near 4 years and have done the lighter fluid method with great results every time.................just sayin...........

The Smoke convinced me to try the PBC a few years ago, and I have to say I have had excellent and consistent results with the lighter fluid method as well. However, as T2 points out there are other methods that can be very effective and peoples' tastes and sensitivities vary. As my buddy in Australia says - "It's horses for courses..." (It sounds better with an Aussie accent...  ;D)

My only suggestions are - try Noah's directions a few times with various foods - keep track of your results, then look around and try some of the other suggestions, again keeping track of your results. Finally, make up your own mind for what works best for you and your PBC.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
Re: First cook question
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »

...I have figured out that if I want a 250-260 temp I start with 34 briquettes.  If I want 275-285 I light 36.

That's incredible!
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill