Author Topic: Grease fog taste - too much  (Read 8761 times)

Offline jjjonz

Re: Grease fog taste - too much
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 08:42:59 PM »
You probably won't like this, but for some reason I couldn't get my temp up using a chimney. After reading on here that some used the lighter fluid method with success , I tried it and never had a problem since.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline hikerman

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
Hey whatever works for you is the way to go! 8)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
I love using the lighter fluid method...been doing it for 4 years now............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
You probably won't like this, but for some reason I couldn't get my temp up using a chimney. After reading on here that some used the lighter fluid method with success , I tried it and never had a problem since.

. . . I've been watching this thread since it started and thinking about my experiences with charcoal and lighting it.  I own two charcoal cookers, the PBC and a Weber Performer.

Mostly I use the Performer for medium-time cooking and usually light it with the built-in gas starter, using two of the charcoal holders centered over the flame.  I've never had a bad burn using that method.  Likewise, on the few occasions I've lit it with a chimney, I've had no problems, either.  I think this is because it has both top and bottom vent adjustments and one can fairly quickly learn how to adjust to desired burn levels.  It is also fairly easy to add more coals with the hinged grates.

On the PBC I've never used anything but Noah's recommended lighter fuel.  It is easy to get the level of briquettes in the basket to the right level, douse them, drop in a match and wait 20 minutes.  I've never had anything except a perfect fully lit basket.  And, I've never had any "flavoring" at all from the lighter.  It totally burns off.  I don't add more charcoal during the cook, I don't add wood chips or chunks, and I don't mess with the lid, rebar, or bottom vent.  I just cook the groceries for the amount of time recommended in the PBC videos.  Never had any bad food that wasn't my fault (learned not to hang chicken quarters -- they'll fall off). 

I'll admit I've been around outdoor cooking for a long time and, in the process, I've bought into the "lore" that charcoal lighter adds an unwanted taste.  Not true (at least with the PBC used as recommended).  I'll add only that I use either Kingsford or Gulf lighter, not store brands or any that I've never heard of.  I always use a full basket of freshly poured briquettes (no used ones) of Kingsford or another premium brand, and I always carefully time the lighting to 20 minutes before I hang the meat.  It works!
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
My experience mirrors Hub's almost exactly. I understand (as Tee has pointed out) that various folks have different sensitivities and tastes. However, for my family, the friends (and strangers) that show up every time I light the grill, and me, this has been perfect.

Something I learned awhile ago - I am NOT the type of guy that will maintain a stick burner... just too much going on and I do not have that level of dedication and patience. I admire those that do, but understand that I don't. On the other hand, I've just never felt comfortable with gas (oops... humor...) I like charcoal, and I do like wood on the fire pit.

My charcoal grills are very good, and I love the PBC. Like Hub, I follow Noah's recco's / videos and have had great success. I enjoy reading about the mods / suggestions from the forum and think about them as they relate to my cooks. I may, at some point try them - but for now, this is working well, the food is good and the folks I cook for enjoy it.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
Was it just this cook or this is happening on every cook?
You got ribs and chicken, that's a lot of drippings hitting those coals.
I take it your ribs had been on there for a while before the chicken went in. The temp was already stable then it got hit by fresh drippings from the chicken?

You process seems spot on.
I have never cooked ribs and chicken together because I cook chicken at >325 degrees.
I have done beef and ribs together.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
Dare I say this...

If it's the grease fog flavor that you don't like, then it's entirely possible that the PBC may not be cooker for you.

I can relate to this because I'm not a fan of that grease fog taste either, which is why I rarely ever cook foods that drip a lot (chicken, burgers, etc.) directly over hot coals, and part of the reason why I don't think I'd enjoy a PBC.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:51:26 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »
Dare I say this...

If it's the grease fog flavor that you don't like, then it's entirely possible that the PBC may not be cooker for you.

I can relate to this because I'm not a fan of that grease fog taste either, which is why I rarely ever cook foods that drip a lot (chicken, burgers, etc.) directly over hot coals, and part of the reason why I don't think I'd enjoy a PBC.

That makes sense. As I have said before - to quote my Aussie friend - "It's horses for courses." In other words, we all need to choose what works best for us.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »

. . . I've been watching this thread since it started and thinking about my experiences with charcoal and lighting it.  I own two charcoal cookers, the PBC and a Weber Performer.

Mostly I use the Performer for medium-time cooking and usually light it with the built-in gas starter, using two of the charcoal holders centered over the flame.  I've never had a bad burn using that method.  Likewise, on the few occasions I've lit it with a chimney, I've had no problems, either.  I think this is because it has both top and bottom vent adjustments and one can fairly quickly learn how to adjust to desired burn levels.  It is also fairly easy to add more coals with the hinged grates.

On the PBC I've never used anything but Noah's recommended lighter fuel.  It is easy to get the level of briquettes in the basket to the right level, douse them, drop in a match and wait 20 minutes.  I've never had anything except a perfect fully lit basket.  And, I've never had any "flavoring" at all from the lighter.  It totally burns off.  I don't add more charcoal during the cook, I don't add wood chips or chunks, and I don't mess with the lid, rebar, or bottom vent.  I just cook the groceries for the amount of time recommended in the PBC videos.  Never had any bad food that wasn't my fault (learned not to hang chicken quarters -- they'll fall off). 

I'll admit I've been around outdoor cooking for a long time and, in the process, I've bought into the "lore" that charcoal lighter adds an unwanted taste.  Not true (at least with the PBC used as recommended).  I'll add only that I use either Kingsford or Gulf lighter, not store brands or any that I've never heard of.  I always use a full basket of freshly poured briquettes (no used ones) of Kingsford or another premium brand, and I always carefully time the lighting to 20 minutes before I hang the meat.  It works!

I think Noah's first video he used only Kingsford fluid to start kingsford blue charcoal and later added the chimney method. I thought it might be because Kingsford backed him to start his company. Anyway years ago fluid was about the only way people started their grills...sure remembered that smell.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
It wasn't all that long ago that you wouldn't dare add unlit charcoal to lit coals during cooking........Jim Minion changed all that............

I think Noah introduced the Chimney Starter method because there are some folk out there that just flat out do not like using Lighter Fluid. Now that might be from getting grub from your Pops grill back in the 60's or actually being able to pick up the taste.  Lighter fluids are much better now and when used correctly are a great aid in starting a fire. I have seen Mixon use Kingsford lighter fluid to get his $$$$$$ pit going at comps...
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
From what you wrote it appears you are lighting correctly.  I've heard of this problem before with people right at sea level.....humidity maybe??  Also the times seem about right especially for the temps you were getting.  I would start with the intake opened more next time and see what happens.  Maybe start with it 1/2 opened.  Mind if i ask how you monitored the temp? 
If the flavor of the smoke you get from the meat dripping in the coals is too strong, I would use a diffuser.   Can be as simple as a pizza pan with a few holes cut into it.  If you really don't like that flavor use a drip pan.  You'll have to rig something to sit about 2-3" above the coals, basically on top of the coal basket handle.
Another thought based on your description of what happened is that you never got a hot fire thus you had bad smoke......especially with the wood you put in there...just a thought......

Offline Bart57266

• I Smell BBQ!
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
1Bigg_ER: It was just this cook that produced such an intense grease fog taste, but it was present to lesser degrees on other cooks. And yes, I added the chicken about an hour after the ribs were first hung, so there may have been more dripping going on, or for a more extended time, than other cooks.

TentHunteR: It is a possibility that I prefer meat from a smoker. However, I do like charcoal-grilled meat, as well, and the PBC is somewhere between the two. Therefore, I know I must be doing something wrong with the PBC.

Aclarke44: I'm almost at sea level, and definitely have extremely high humidity this time of year. This cook was during mid-90's air temps with probably 90% humidity. I monitored cooker temp by placing a probe inside a rebar hole, up to it's 90-degree bend, at an angle to place the probe in open air. You may be onto something regarding the not-hot fire and bad smoke. It obviously wasn't hot enough to the get cook times stated in PBC videos.

I e-mailed PBC and pointed them to this thread. Amber called me within a couple of hours (on a Sunday!) with this advice:

- Skip the wood chips, at least for now.
 - If I'm chimney starting the charcoal, let it burn for only 12 minutes.
 - Dump it on the unlit coals in the PBC.
 - Hang meat immediately.
 - Add lid immediately.

I'm going to follow this procedure, then let you all know how it goes.

Thank you for your help!
All charcoal, all the time...

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC - my favorite)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (bullet smoker)
Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill (offset smoker)
Weber Kettle Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
Bart - tho I live in a complete different part of the country and topography - I follow the same routine.

I live in a rain forest, high on a mountain in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is common for us to have humidity that equals our temperatures. We know that when temperature expressed as Fahrenheit is within 3 degrees of humidity percentage - you can get condensation on surfaces.

So - imagine what can happen when we are sucking moisture rich air into the PBS - and rapidly heating it.  Steam! ;D

Keep us posted on your progress and - keep the good cooks coming!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
Back in the early 2000's, all I used was a UDS type smoker and found that some people did not actually enjoy the grease fog flavor. My family after about 5 years of drum smoking pulled a revolt and didn't want any more food off of that type of smoker............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »

Aclarke44: I'm almost at sea level, and definitely have extremely high humidity this time of year. This cook was during mid-90's air temps with probably 90% humidity. I monitored cooker temp by placing a probe inside a rebar hole, up to it's 90-degree bend, at an angle to place the probe in open air. You may be onto something regarding the not-hot fire and bad smoke. It obviously wasn't hot enough to the get cook times stated in PBC videos.

I e-mailed PBC and pointed them to this thread. Amber called me within a couple of hours (on a Sunday!) with this advice:

- Skip the wood chips, at least for now.
 - If I'm chimney starting the charcoal, let it burn for only 12 minutes.
 - Dump it on the unlit coals in the PBC.
 - Hang meat immediately.
 - Add lid immediately.

I'm going to follow this procedure, then let you all know how it goes.

Thank you for your help!

Couple things.   First, the procedure Amber gave you is nearly the exact method I use.  Only thing is I use a propane burner from a turkey fryer under the chimney to get the coals going quicker.  I do let it run about 10 min though.  Once all the coals are pretty much glowing red I dump them on top of the coal basket unlit coals.  I also use 3-4 smaller wood chunks.  But obviously do what Amber said.

The other thing though I think you need to change is how you monitor temps.  I believe the way you explained how you set your probe is not giving you an accurate reading. .....or I should say not giving you an accurate reading based on where the food is cooking.  A friend of mine was doing something similar and I told him to move the probe closer to where the meat is cooking and farther away from the side of the PBC.  He noticed about a 20° difference.  Try hanging it like I did in the pic below and see if your temps aren't a little higher.   Obviously that doesn't address the temp drop but I think you'll have a better idea what temp your meat is cooking at and maybe you'll like it..... :)