Author Topic: First PBC Cook, pictures and what I learned  (Read 2645 times)

Offline chriswalters

First PBC Cook, pictures and what I learned
« Reply #-1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
Completed my first cook ever on the PBC (baby back ribs - turned out great, pictures below), which was also my first time cooking with charcoal and man did I learn a lot. Here's what I took away:

PBC makes a great product with even better customer service to back it up. I called in twice during the cook to ask a few questions and I was given helpful advice by a few friendly ladies on the other end of the phone. Top notch! 

Based on what I was reporting to the PBC rep, we determined that I let the chimney go too long (15 full minutes) before transferring to the coal basket which had the PBC running a little hot. She recommended that I only let the chimney go 12 min with just a couple pieces of newspaper next time. Lesson learned :)

160 is PBC's target meat temp for ribs. The rep recommended that I take the ribs off at 150 to sauce, then finish up to 160.

Racks of ribs with very similar weights can finish at different times. The first rack was done well under 2 hours (due to the high temp that the PBC was running) and the second was done at 2 hours and 15 min. Possibly due to different fat content of the two racks?  The rack that took longer had significantly more fat than the one that finished quicker.

Overall very happy with my purchase and my first meat off the PBC. The start of a beautiful friendship for sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Savannahsmoker

Re: First PBC Cook, pictures and what I learned
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:33 PM »
Very interesting and the ribs look delicious. :thumbup:
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
Congrats! on your first cook! Those ribs look great!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
I've had ribs finish at different times as well. I only use St. Louis cut but it will come down to how much fat / meat is on each rack. I try to get racks that are pretty uniform to each other so they finish around the same time. Generally mine finish around the 3 hour mark. I've never checked the temp on my ribs, I've mainly gone by bone pullback.

I've only used lighter fluid but I still go by the 12 minute mark. That's when my meat goes on.

How was the tenderness on your cook? I generally look for that nice bite with a slight tug where you can bite right through and pull away from the bone.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:25 AM »
Looks fantastic!  And seeing a clean barrel is a rare sighting!  Just remember no two racks of ribs are the same. I have have some racks cook in 2.5 hrs and have had other take 4. Really depends on what size they are.  I usually use the toothpick test starting at 2.5 hrs into a cook. If the toothpick will go in with ease (slide in as if it was butter), then it is a good sign the cook is done. Sometime I will let them go another 15 mins at that point, I don't like fall off the bones ribs, but like tender. I also like to look for some pull back on the bones as an indicator that they are done.

I usually don't sauce and add them back on the barrel. What I do at times is once I pull them off, I will heat up some STUBBS (my 2 fav are Sticky Sweet and Sweet heat, they are lower in sugar which is why I like them) sauce and brush the racks with the warm sauce while I let the ribs rest for about 10 mins. Just some advice on my experience to pass along. I love love my PBC! In fact after having this newest cooker to my arsenal, it has me looking at other barrel cookers for my next one!

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline Pappymn

First PBC Cook, pictures and what I learned
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
Great looking results!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Congratulations on your successful 1st cook!
And your last pic sums it up! :thumbup:

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »
I've had ribs finish at different times as well. I only use St. Louis cut but it will come down to how much fat / meat is on each rack. I try to get racks that are pretty uniform to each other so they finish around the same time. Generally mine finish around the 3 hour mark. I've never checked the temp on my ribs, I've mainly gone by bone pullback.

I've only used lighter fluid but I still go by the 12 minute mark. That's when my meat goes on.

How was the tenderness on your cook? I generally look for that nice bite with a slight tug where you can bite right through and pull away from the bone.

The tenderness was there but definitely not clean bones like your picture. I assume that has to do with the higher cook temp that I was working with. 

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:59:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Very happy with my first cook and confident that I can turn out even better results next time. Thinking about chicken next after all the rave reviews of PBC chicken :)

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
Looks like a successful run! Enjoy   :)

Offline viscera912

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 11:16:33 PM »
welcome and congrats to you on your first cook!!! 

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
The pictures of your cook look very appetizing and deciduous.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
I'd say you did well, but you really need to send out test ribs for the group to make sure  :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 07:04:40 PM »
Nice looking ribs. I have had my PBC for over a year now and it is a great cooker. There is a liitle bit of a learning curve and a new cooker will not cook like a seasoned cooker. You might want to try the tooth pick test instead of temp. Just listen to the PBC folks. Good luck !!
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 08:40:31 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!  Such a fun experience.  Definitely going to let the ribs go longer next time, look for pullback and try the toothpick test :)  Cheers!