Author Topic: Picanha  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

Picanha
« Reply #-1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
I was motivated by Kona's recent cook with this meat.  It was on sale for $2.99 a lb for a double pack of choice grade so well worth the investment.  A simple coating of Kosher salt, pepper and garlic is all that is needed.  Looking forward to having  left-overs for lunch in a sandwich with some horse-radish sauce

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kona

Re: Picanha
« on: January 13, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
How did you like it? I love that cut. Now I need to get more! It's usually 4.99lb. It looks like you cut off the fat cap as well, that's the preferred method for myself. Looks good  8)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:11 PM »
Have never seen Picanha cut of beef in the US but I did have it while in South America.
Yours looks to make a tasty meal. :thumbup:
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:04:02 PM »
How did you like it? I love that cut. Now I need to get more! It's usually 4.99lb. It looks like you cut off the fat cap as well, that's the preferred method for myself. Looks good  8)

It was delicious.  Last time I bought this, there was no grade on the packaging (it was not Cryo-packed) so it must have been select or other inferior grade and was not good at all.  Now it is a great deal so stock up.  About the fat cap, yes, I trimmed it off and left a little regular fat on for some flavor. As you know this fat cap is not going to melt down and would only block the rub from penetrating the meat. 

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

It was delicious.  Last time I bought this, there was no grade on the packaging (it was not Cryo-packed) so it must have been select or other inferior grade and was not good at all.  Now it is a great deal so stock up.  About the fat cap, yes, I trimmed it off and left a little regular fat on for some flavor. As you know this fat cap is not going to melt down and would only block the rub from penetrating the meat.

That's exactly why I cut it off. I used this recipe which instead of butter says to use beef fat. I rendered down the fat cap and strained it and used it for this sauce, it's pretty darn tasty to dip the meat into

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/texas_BBQ_mop-sauce.html

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pappymn

Picanha
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Wish that cut was available here. Great price too
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »
man that price is extraordinary!!! besides the local butcher, none of the big box stores carry that. costco used to carry choice tri tip now that is even gone. nice cook though,looks quite tasty!!!!