Author Topic: First PBC chicken and second run on baby back ribs  (Read 2130 times)

Offline chriswalters

First PBC chicken and second run on baby back ribs
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
I'm now a believer in the PBC chicken hype!  Absolutely the juiciest chicken I've ever had. Chicken is usually the last meat I'd reach for at a barbecue restaurant but this might be a game changer. Cooked two halves of a 6lb bird in just over 3 hours, along with 3 racks of ribs. Any tips for getting the ribs more tender?  They have been good both times but still coming out a little tough. Would like closer to fall off the bone just not sure how to accomplish that. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRob

Re: First PBC chicken and second run on baby back ribs
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »
Great looking cook! As far as ribs getting more tender, what I do is use the toothpick test.  At 2 hrs and 30 mins, I pull a rack out and use a toothpick and check the ribs. You want the toothpick to be able to go in the ribs as if it was butter, if when you check the ribs and it is still a bit tough, put them back on.

Then I check every 20 mins or so after that. If the toothpick slides in like butter, then they are done imo.  Some will pull and wrap in foil, add liquid of their choice, and use the grate for 20 mins meat side down, I prefer a pull off the bone a bit, I don't like FOTB ribs, but that is just my taste. Another good indicator is pull back on the meat from the bones.

Remember no two racks of ribs will cook the same way, I have had 3 racks cooking at times and one rack definitely done before another one put on at the same time.  Enjoy the barrel, I love mine!

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
what he said! PBC is an awesome cooker! But with everything there is a learning curve. The nice thing about the pbc is that the learning curve is relatively short.  Have Fun!  :D
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
Great looking cook! As far as ribs getting more tender, what I do is use the toothpick test.  At 2 hrs and 30 mins, I pull a rack out and use a toothpick and check the ribs. You want the toothpick to be able to go in the ribs as if it was butter, if when you check the ribs and it is still a bit tough, put them back on.

Then I check every 20 mins or so after that. If the toothpick slides in like butter, then they are done imo.  Some will pull and wrap in foil, add liquid of their choice, and use the grate for 20 mins meat side down, I prefer a pull off the bone a bit, I don't like FOTB ribs, but that is just my taste. Another good indicator is pull back on the meat from the bones.

Remember no two racks of ribs will cook the same way, I have had 3 racks cooking at times and one rack definitely done before another one put on at the same time.  Enjoy the barrel, I love mine!

-Rob

Thanks Rob!  I had been pulling mine when they reach 160 degrees internal temp after seeing the min temp of 160 on the PBC website, assuming that if they got much hotter they would be even more tough.  I'm used to cooking beef (burgers/steaks) on the grill and having to pull them at just the right time so the meat doesn't get too tough.  Sounds like I need to let them cook longer and look for the drawback and tenderness and be less concerned about the temp.  Will they continue to get more and more tender even above 160 degrees? 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:21:15 AM by chriswalters »

Offline Kona

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
I have never checked temp on my ribs. I've been generally leaving them on till about the 3 hour mark. The rack I did over the weekend I sauced them at 3 hours and pulled them at 3:15. I generally look at the pullback from the bone. I can also get a good indication when I pull them off to sauce them. I have not done a toothpick test but it is a good indicator. Generally fall off the bone ribs are considered overcooked. I like a nice bite and a little pull from the bone.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
I have yet to temp ribs, ever.  As mentioned I use the toothpick trick. And to Kona's point, I definitely end up going 3+ hours depending on size of ribs.  I start the check at 2.5 hrs, as once I had a smaller rack done in that time. The longer you leave them on the softer/more tender the meat will get and you will see pullback on the bones, which is what you want.

I always double hook my ribs, I almost lost a rack because I left them on to long. I added 3 racks once and 1 rack was done in 2.5 hrs and one took 4 hours. Obviously there was a difference in size/lb of the racks.

Next time hang'em, let them go for 2.5 hrs or so...pull it out give it the toothpick trick.  Place back on re-bar and then check every 30 mins, as it gets softer to put the toothpick in and you start to see pull back on the bones this will indicate they are getting more tender.

Then whether you sauce or not is another whole topic! ha  I usually don't sauce and hang'em. What I do is once the are done bring them in the house and brush heated up STUBBS sauce when they are still hot and let them rest for 10-15 with the sauce on them. Just my .02 and this is what works for me. Enjoy!

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
I have yet to temp ribs, ever.  As mentioned I use the toothpick trick. And to Kona's point, I definitely end up going 3+ hours depending on size of ribs.  I start the check at 2.5 hrs, as once I had a smaller rack done in that time. The longer you leave them on the softer/more tender the meat will get and you will see pullback on the bones, which is what you want.

I always double hook my ribs, I almost lost a rack because I left them on to long. I added 3 racks once and 1 rack was done in 2.5 hrs and one took 4 hours. Obviously there was a difference in size/lb of the racks.

Next time hang'em, let them go for 2.5 hrs or so...pull it out give it the toothpick trick.  Place back on re-bar and then check every 30 mins, as it gets softer to put the toothpick in and you start to see pull back on the bones this will indicate they are getting more tender.

Then whether you sauce or not is another whole topic! ha  I usually don't sauce and hang'em. What I do is once the are done bring them in the house and brush heated up STUBBS sauce when they are still hot and let them rest for 10-15 with the sauce on them. Just my .02 and this is what works for me. Enjoy!

-Rob
I have never checked temp on my ribs. I've been generally leaving them on till about the 3 hour mark. The rack I did over the weekend I sauced them at 3 hours and pulled them at 3:15. I generally look at the pullback from the bone. I can also get a good indication when I pull them off to sauce them. I have not done a toothpick test but it is a good indicator. Generally fall off the bone ribs are considered overcooked. I like a nice bite and a little pull from the bone.

Thanks gentlemen! Great advice

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »
If even the ribs as you said where "still coming out a little tough" the pictures look very appetizing and delicious. :thumbup:
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »
Excellent looking cook! I don't temp my ribs either. I either use the toothpick or the bend test. I think, and I could be wrong, is that the PBC site recommends a minimum of 160 temp. Sometimes my ribs take closer to 4 hours on the PBC, so there is really no set time.  I have found most racks cooked differently so when 1 is done, the other may still need some more time. I think if you go with the toothpick test and don't worry about the internal temp you will get the doneness you are looking for. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
Checking rib temperatures is never exact and requires "mental averaging" of several tries, right between the middle bones.  Look for 205 to 210.  The toothpick method is tried and true, also but less exact.  Tuffy Stone once told me that "over beats under" and he's right.  Just take the time to learn what you like and how to get there.  You may enjoy eating some mistakes along the way, too  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Great advice for getting more tenderness next time.  They were still tasty, but now I have something to aim for :)