Author Topic: Superbowl - First Time doing Wings and Burgers - Tips/Tricks?  (Read 1841 times)

Offline chriswalters

Superbowl - First Time doing Wings and Burgers - Tips/Tricks?
« Reply #-1 on: February 03, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Hey there!  For superbowl sunday (Go Falcons!) I'm doing wings AND burgers for the first time.  Planning to follow Kona's instructions on the wings, just curious about cooking the wings and then burgers after.  I assume that a full basket of coals will be enough to do both back to back?  Any tips/tricks for burgers or things I'm not thinking of when doing two cooks back to back?  Thanks in advance!   

Offline Kona

You'll have plenty of coals for the burgers following. The method I use for the wings, the coals only get screaming hot for the end of the cook which will be perfect for the burgers following. Your grate will be nice and hot as well. If you have a heat glove it will definitely help as it does get pretty darn hot when those coals are at full burn. When I do steak and the coals are at full heat, I like to drop some hickory chunks which will flame up once they catch fire. It adds some wood flavor and the flare up helps with some char on the meat. I need a shorter spatula when doing burgers, it's a little tricky trying to flip down inside the barrel lol.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 11:11:25 AM by Kona »
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline chriswalters

Re: Superbowl - First Time doing Wings and Burgers - Tips/Tricks?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:53 AM »
You'll have plenty of coals for the burgers following. The method I use for the wings, the coals only get screaming hot for the end of the cook which will be perfect for the burgers following. You're grate will be nice and hot as well. If you have a heat glove it will definitely help as it does get pretty darn hot when those coals are at full burn. When I do steak and the coals are at full heat, I like to drop some hickory chunks which will flame up once they catch fire. It adds some wood flavor and the flare up helps with some char on the meat. I need a shorter spatula when doing burgers, it's a little tricky trying to flip down inside the barrel lol.

Awesome, thanks Kona!

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »
I'll be doing wings myself on Sunday
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline chriswalters

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
I'll be doing wings myself on Sunday

Considering the BBQ Sauce + Sriracha combo that Noah recommends on his wings video.  Ever tried that?  I'd love to get into some of the more fancy rubs/sauces, but I'm running out of time and looking to just pickup something readily available at the big box grocery stores. 

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
I guess I'm spoiled lol, I'm not a huge fan of store bought bbq sauces, I always prefer to make my own. There are very few I'll buy. I have tried it and it's not bad, it has a nice kick depending on how much Sriracha you use. I don't usually make bbq sauced wings
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
when ive done wings in pbc i do it a little different from kona in that i wait till the coals are fully ashed and screaming hot then throw the wings on and do the cook of them with the lid cracked. my first batch of wings the barrel temp will be always in the high 400's.  but you gotta monitor the meat and turn accordingly so it doesn't burn.  if i sauce them ill sauce them a couple min before i pull the meat otherwise you will get some blackened wings! 

I think there is a pic or 2 on this site of some of the wings ive done.  i found this yields great skin. however, as seen many times, Kona kills it with his wings methodology.  its good to experiment and use what works best for you.

as for burgers, what kona said was absolutely right about using a small spatula.  its very difficult to flip burgers in the pbc because most of grilling implements are nice and long. while the burger definitely tastes good in pbc, ive resorted to the grill just for the ease of the cook.

my wing cooks take about 20-25 min depending on size of wing. 

one last tidbit, if this is your first time doing wings/burgers on pbc, i would do a trial run tonight or tomorrow!!!  that way you will know what works and doesn't work for your real cook on sunday.

noah's bbq sauce and siricha combo is pretty darn good, i like it and definitely recommend it!

jason

Offline zak99b5

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
Burgers I put on my Weber.

Right tool for the job.
PBC
22" Weber Performer with Slow-n-Sear

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
I am a Jets & Cards fan....what is the Super Bowl??????

We drink plenty of beer,

When I do wings at the game I do fried & Grilled the combo works great....something for everyone.  & did I say plenty of beer.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
The #1 best tip I can suggest when cooking burgers for a group is DON'T cook individual burgers!    Load up a cookie sheet with a layer of ground beef, season & top them how you want, stick them in your grill and let them go.  You can add cheese near the end.  Then when they're done just cut them into squares, load them onto buns and serve.

I do the same thing with sliders too.

This is my go-to way for cooking burgers, especially for a group.  It's a whole lot less work & worry.  No flipping needed and since they cook in their juices, it's hard to overcook and dry them out.   

This can be done on darn near any cooker.  For your PBC you just need to use a sheet that fit's.  A Pizza Pan might even work.

The folks who attended the Ohio Gathering last year got to see burgers cooked this way.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Subvet

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »
Tent, that is a really neat idea. Will give that a try next time. Flipping burgers is a challenge for me regardless of the grill.  :)
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
The #1 best tip I can suggest when cooking burgers for a group is DON'T cook individual burgers!    Load up a cookie sheet with a layer of ground beef, season & top them how you want, stick them in your grill and let them go.  You can add cheese near the end.  Then when they're done just cut them into squares, load them onto buns and serve.

This is my go-to way for cooking burgers, especially for a group.  It's a whole lot less work & worry.  No flipping needed and since they cook in their juices, it's hard to overcook and dry them out.   

This can be done on darn near any cooker.  For your PBC you just need to use a sheet that fit's.  A Pizza Pan might even work.

The folks who attended the Ohio Gathering last year got to see burgers cooked this way.

Wow that is the first time I have seen you cut corners while cooking ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That is an idea I got to try LOL
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline 70monte

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »

Now that is neat.  I've not seen that before.  How long are you cooking it for doing it like this or are you taking an internal temp to test doneness?

Wayne
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range