Author Topic: EZ Pastrami Smoked and Steamed  (Read 6407 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
EZ Pastrami Smoked and Steamed
« Reply #-1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:12 PM »
Sept 26 2016

Being from Ohio I never had a taste of pastrami until I was 18 and stationed at the Homestead AFB in Florida. A small deli there served pastrami on rye sandwiches and they were delicious. Then after getting married and living in Wapakoneta there was a Jewish Deli in Lima Ohio that had great pastrami on rye sandwiches, then they went out of business. My wife usually had a Rueben.

After I got my smoker and joined LTBBQ Hub had a recipe for EZ Pastrami starting with a corned beef brisket and I have made quite a few of them; it shortens up the process with good results.

I watched a lot of TV shows about NYC Deli pastrami and brisket sandwiches; like Katz the most famous I think. Those sandwiches looked delicious with melt in your mouth pastrami. I wanted to duplicate them, how do you do that if you never tasted them? Well I can imagine what they must taste like!

I read all I could about them and the secret had to be steaming after smoking. Some smoke them for 10 to 12 hours and then steam for 3 hours. I recently bought a 6 quart Instant Pot 6 in 1 electric pressure cooker. I knew I could easily steam a 3 to 4 pound brisket flat in it. I wasn’t sure how steaming under pressure would work.

I got my pastrami cold from the fridge in the steamer and set for 60 minutes. I checked after that and was surprised the IT was at 185 deg. I set it for another 35 minutes of steam the IT was at 211 deg. and after resting for 35 minutes I sliced it and made our sandwiches. I fixed my wife a Rueben with just sauerkraut and Swiss cheese on lightly toasted rye bread. I just had mine with some mustard. Our side was some Bob Even’s double cheddar pasta with Applewood smoked bacon. It’s easy and about as good as any I can make!

The pastrami was moist and very tender; as good as I could imagine would come from a NYC Deli! I think this is my go to recipe for pastrami and want to try a plain brisket this way too.

Wife's Rueben

My supper

Smokin Don

Recipe

Easy Pastrami smoked and steamed

3-4 lb Corned Beef Brisket
2 TBSP Coarse-ground black pepper
1 TBSP Ground Coriander seeds
1Tsp. Garlic powder
1 Tsp. Onion powder

You will need a 6 quart Instant Pot to steam it or make your own stove top steamer.

Wash brisket thoroughly and soak overnight in water (refrigerated) for 1 to 2 days to remove excess saltiness.  Change the water several times. When finished soaking, dry the brisket with paper towels and rub with well-mixed dry ingredients listed above.

Wrap brisket well with plastic wrap; I used 3 layers. Place in the fridge over night or two nights, I did two nights and turned 4 times.

Smoke your favorite way to an IT of 185 deg. I did my 3.6 pound brisket flat on my Traeger pellet grill. I did 3 hours at 190 deg. inserted my temp probe and was at 135 deg. IT. I upped the temp to get 235 deg. at grill level until it stalled at 154 deg. about six hours in.

I double wrapped it in heavy duty foil and back on the smoker and went to 245 deg. grill level. You may want to place in a foil pan in case the foil leaks, you won’t lose all that juice. After you foil you can move to an indoor oven if you want to save on pellets.

Mine was in for about a total of 7 ½ hours to get to an IT of 185 deg. I let mine cool and then in the fridge overnight. I steamed it the next day.

I was unsure of how long to steam with my Instant Pot and no recipes to follow. I was starting with a cold brisket from the fridge. I planned to do it for an hour and check the temp. I added two cups of water and the steam insert. I placed the foil wrapped brisket on the steam insert. I locked the lid and went to “Steam Mode” Normal and set the timer for 60 minutes. When the time was up I manually released the steam and checked the temp. it was 185 deg. I checked and had plenty of water left so set it to steam another 35 minutes. When done the IT was 211 deg.  I was looking for about 205.

Next time I will just steam for 1 hour 20 to 30 minutes and that should be good.

I let it cool down on its own for 10 minutes, removed from the pot and opened the foil, let rest another 10 minutes. Placed the pastrami on my cutting board and let rest 10 minutes then sliced and served. It was I think and the wife did too, the best pastrami I have done.

I always heard about NYC Deli style pastrami and brisket and wanted to duplicate it but that’s hard when you have never had NYC Deli pastrami! Well I did see them make and slice on TV so I could imagine how it must taste!

I had help with this cook from Hub of LTBBQ who first gave me the idea of EZ Pastrami starting with a corned beef brisket, I read all that Meathead of Amazing Ribs had to say about Kratz Deli Pastrami and help from Girl Carnivore blog.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Hub

Re: EZ Pastrami Smoked and Steamed
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:54:35 AM »
Great treatment of EZ pastrami, Don  ;D

Your pictorial is mouth-watering.  Great show of why pastrami doesn't have to intimidating.  My experience is this stuff is so much better than the stuff I can get at my grocery stores that it is well worth the time and bother to make it.  I've had great pastrami in a couple of New York delis and this stuff is mighty close to it!

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
Very nice Don! I can smell that peppery aroma way over here! :D

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:08:43 AM »
Looking good, and thanks for giving me motivation to get my EZ pastrami out of the freezer!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
Did you make enough to share.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
Don that looks great - I am going to have to try that.  I had never had pastrami before a trip to New York for business and stopped by the Carnegie Deli and ordered a pastrami sandwich - one of the best sandwiches I have ever had.  Yours looks outstanding.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »
I bet it tasted as good as it looks Don ... Fantastic!! ... Thanks for the recipe.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
That looks so good and thanks for the pictorial Don.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:15:20 PM »
Wow great job Don the only difference between yours & the Carnegie Deli is that they put in twice as much meat LOL...So much that I can't get my mouth wide enough to bite into it. Really nice!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
I have made the EZ pastrami before and loved the results.

I have a 6 quart IP and so need to try this!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:44:27 PM »
Wow great job Don the only difference between yours & the Carnegie Deli is that they put in twice as much meat LOL...So much that I can't get my mouth wide enough to bite into it. Really nice!
Years ago I could have ate some that they turn out but mine was enough meat for me! :) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
Years ago I could have ate some that they turn out but mine was enough meat for me! :) Don

Same here Don. I am a big person & can eat but that Carnegie was too much for even me ??? ??? ???  Yours would be the one I would order
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pappymn

EZ Pastrami Smoked and Steamed
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
Katz and Carnegie are great. Carnegie was closed down for 10 months last year as it was discovered they had been diverting gas to the restaurant before it hit the meter for 6 years. Had to make a lot of repairs and pay a 40 grand gas bill.
Great looking results.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »
Katz and Carnegie are great. Carnegie was closed down for 10 months last year as it was discovered they had been diverting gas to the restaurant before it hit the meter for 6 years. Had to make a lot of repairs and pay a 40 grand gas bill.
Great looking results.

I guess the sandwiches will be half the size now LOL
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Please excuse the dumb question here but I am not that familiar with either corned beef or pastrami which (at least for me) begs the question:

What is the difference between Corned Beef and Pastrami?  Is it the smoking part or the spices or both?  Or is there more to it than that and how does it change the flavor profiles?

Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit