Author Topic: Stubbs  (Read 5912 times)

Offline amshepar

Re: Stubbs
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
I pretty much only use Stubbs as well.  I think the flavor is far superior to KBB.  Cook times are identical to KBB. 

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »
Stubbs is good when I can find it ; have not tried the Kingsford competition yet so not sure what I'm missing . Most of my cooks are 2/3rds regular Kingsford  , 1/3rd Royal Oak Lump and 1 wood chunk of oak or hickory plus one chunk of fruitwood (cherry , apple , orange , peach) depending on what I am cooking . I think once you develop a couple of flavor profiles you like then all is well !

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »
Hello All,
I noticed Stubbs was on sale in my Lowes for 4.98/ bag. 
Marked as clearance -- asked associate if this was being discontinued -- he shrugged and said -- my just be left over.

Anyway, grabbed a few bags -- at that price -- why not.

Cheers.

Chris
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline Kona

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »
Hello All,
I noticed Stubbs was on sale in my Lowes for 4.98/ bag. 
Marked as clearance -- asked associate if this was being discontinued -- he shrugged and said -- my just be left over.

Anyway, grabbed a few bags -- at that price -- why not.

Cheers.

Chris

I just went by my Lowes and picked up 5 bags at 4.99 for 15lbs. They are on clearance. I'll probably go back and pick up more next paycheck
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
 Good catch, I'll drive by our Lowe's on the way home...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
I was shopping at Lowes today and found the Stubbs Charcoal. I've heard good things about it for the PBC, I'll give it a shot for my next steaks or wings to see how hot it burns compared to Kingsford

I've been reading all of you extolling Stubbs so I passed by my local Lowes and got a bag.  Although it cost about 35% more than KB, I think it is worth the premium.  My old taste buds did detect a "cleaner" taste.  The fact that it is 95% charcoal should yield more "juice" per volume than KB - at least the way I look at it.  I did some chicken which was done in 90 minutes and then plugged the rebar and damper holes to stop the burn.  I was amazed at how little ash was produced and how many coals were left to re-use.  I am sold on Stubbs now.  By the way for regular grilling I use Royal Oak Lump with always great results

Offline Kona

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
I was shopping at Lowes today and found the Stubbs Charcoal. I've heard good things about it for the PBC, I'll give it a shot for my next steaks or wings to see how hot it burns compared to Kingsford

I've been reading all of you extolling Stubbs so I passed by my local Lowes and got a bag.  Although it cost about 35% more than KB, I think it is worth the premium.  My old taste buds did detect a "cleaner" taste.  The fact that it is 95% charcoal should yield more "juice" per volume than KB - at least the way I look at it.  I did some chicken which was done in 90 minutes and then plugged the rebar and damper holes to stop the burn.  I was amazed at how little ash was produced and how many coals were left to re-use.  I am sold on Stubbs now.  By the way for regular grilling I use Royal Oak Lump with always great results

I need to go back to Lowes, it's being discontinued and is only $5 a bag for 15lbs
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »
Dang, I was just at Lowe's yesterday and I didn't look for it! I may have to make a trip to see if I can buy out what they have left :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline scottv

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
Dang, I was just at Lowe's yesterday and I didn't look for it! I may have to make a trip to see if I can buy out what they have left :P
Was back to regular price when I went last weekend. Luckily I bought 4 bags when it was clearanced

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Kona

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »
Was back to regular price when I went last weekend. Luckily I bought 4 bags when it was clearanced

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, it's back to the regular price of 9.99 on their website. I hope that means it's not on clearance anymore
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC