Author Topic: She's burning hot  (Read 9984 times)

Offline Kona

Re: She's burning hot
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
Practice is always good! Temperature is all about the lighting process, feel free to call us to help troubleshoot the problem easier!

does one lighting process tend to produce higher temps then the other? I've been using lighter fluid for all my cooks as I don't have a chimney. I know pork spare ribs have been done in 90 minutes. I generally let burn with the lid off, bars in for about 15 minutes, lid on for about 20 minutes to let it settle a bit then hang my meat.

No. As long as each lighting process is done correctly, the temperature should run between 273-310. Depending on where you are at on elevation you are going to let your coals burn for 12-15 minutes, then hang your meat immediately. You do not want your coals to peak before you put the meat on.

would you let the coals peak for cooks such as steaks when you want that hot sear on the meat?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 01:54:29 PM »
Practice is always good! Temperature is all about the lighting process, feel free to call us to help troubleshoot the problem easier!

does one lighting process tend to produce higher temps then the other? I've been using lighter fluid for all my cooks as I don't have a chimney. I know pork spare ribs have been done in 90 minutes. I generally let burn with the lid off, bars in for about 15 minutes, lid on for about 20 minutes to let it settle a bit then hang my meat.

No. As long as each lighting process is done correctly, the temperature should run between 273-310. Depending on where you are at on elevation you are going to let your coals burn for 12-15 minutes, then hang your meat immediately. You do not want your coals to peak before you put the meat on.

would you let the coals peak for cooks such as steaks when you want that hot sear on the meat?

It is not necessary. Here is a video on a reference on a ribeye-steak http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/ribeye-steak .

Offline amshepar

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 05:37:42 PM »
Kona, sounds like you are doing too much tinkering during your cooks.  If you open your lid for an extended time you will raise the temperature drastically.  It will take a long time for the PBC to then cool back down.

In Texas we are close enough in elevation to what you describe.  Spare Ribs I do in right at 3 hours.  Baby back about 2 hours and 45 minutes.  I use the digital thermometer on chicken breasts, brisket,  lamb, and whole chickens.   Wings take me 45 minutes, steak for Medium rare is right at 18 minutes, these have been consistent for me for every cook of these. 

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 06:50:22 AM »
I can't speak to the PBC because I don't have one, but it sounds like lots of people are helping with that..  But I wanted to strongly suggest buying a chimney, lighter fluid is a toxic fluid and may even put a chemical taste on your food, chimneys aren't expensive and well worth the small investment...  Lighter fluid just isn't worth using, and really isn't necessary...
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »
I can't speak to the PBC because I don't have one, but it sounds like lots of people are helping with that..  But I wanted to strongly suggest buying a chimney, lighter fluid is a toxic fluid and may even put a chemical taste on your food, chimneys aren't expensive and well worth the small investment...  Lighter fluid just isn't worth using, and really isn't necessary...

Thanks for your concern but not everyone feels that using lighter fluid properly is any more toxic than the charcoal alone. Again I stress properly.

If you do not let the lighter fluid soak into the charcoal, do not use a whole bottle and also give it time to burn off(20 minutes) before placing your meat on the PBC I think you will be just fine.

And IMHO Matchlight charcoal is the worst thing Kingsford has ever made. That charcoal is infused with lighter fluid and will give your food a chemical fluid taste because it takes forever to burn off. I never use that charcoal. That is why Noah and Amber do not recommend it either.

Using lighter fluid is a personal decision as is avoiding wheat gluten or MSG for example....

Off my soap box now :)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »

If you do not let the lighter fluid soak into the charcoal, do not use a whole bottle and also give it time to burn off(20 minutes) before placing your meat on the PBC I think you will be just fine.

I've used lighter fluid in the past, before I knew about chimney's, and wasn't trying to imply it will harm you any more or less than charcoal, but it is a toxic liquid (I wouldn't drink it).  The suggestions for proper use go against the recommendation from PBC representative, who recommended putting meat on in 12 - 15 minutes after lighting (not enough time for the 20 minute recommendation for use of lighter fluid).

All I'm trying to say is that chimney's are easy to use, and are not that expensive, so why risk changing the flavor of your food... 

The following is from Kingsford website, under more information about the lighter fluid:

DANGER: harmful or fatal if swallowed. Combustible. Contains petroleum distillates. Do not ingest. Avoid breathing vapors. Use in a well-ventilated area. Avoid prolonged contact with skin.

TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline admin2

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
The arguments for/against the use of lighter fluid are much like brands of religion. Find one that fits you. Be happy. And - do not disparage those who have a different approach to the subject. The information supporting both viewpoints is widely available.
Let us not "re-ignite" the impassioned flames of that argument, please.

Offline ChrisD46

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »
That lower air adjustment has very little affect on temps. The holes at the top and amount of lit coals in the bed are your biggest factor.

I am amazed at how this uncomplicated cooker can be made to be so complicated. One of the easiest cookers I have used honestly. I used to try and completely control temps and monitor when I first got it but then I realized the simplicity of it.

The beauty of this cooker is that even when cooking at higher temps the juices from the meat create a very humid and moist environment inside that barrel. That humid environment allows for those kind of temps without drying out meat. It works great. The more you cook in it the more you will find out for yourself.

Honestly if you really want total temp control then get an air controller for it. Then you can set the temp to the exact one you like digitally. It is a fan that will turn on and off air to the coals and regulate temps.
muebe : +1 on your comments - another factor pertaining to the amount of lit coals in the basket are how much time you allow the coals to heat up . I place 40 lit coals on top of the basket of unlit coals placed inside the pitt barrel cooker with the lid off ...Once I see that I have an even lit ashed over layer of coals on top now igniting the layer underneath (approx. 15 min. to 20 min. mark) I then hang the meat and place the lid on . I believe any where at that 15 to 20 minute mark with the lid off would guarentee good results - even if temps are initially high it will settle into that 275 ~ 325 degree range fairly quickly .

Offline NickyDeuce

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
   Everyone here has offered very good advice, but I will go through my process which has only failed me once (in the freezing cold rain).

1.  Take your coal basket and fill it to the top with coals evenly spread out.
2.  FROM THE BASKET take exactly 40 pieces of charcoal and put them in your chimney starter.
3.  Light the chimney starter as you normally would.
4.  When the coals are a little more than half gray pour them evenly over the coals in your basket inside the cooker.
5.  This is the only step I OCCASIONALLY deviate from, but depending on how hot I want the initial temp in the barrel, I wait anywhere
      between 7-13 minutes before I put the lid on and start cooking.
6.  If I'm cooking a butt, chicken, tenderloin, leg of lamb etc. I will run my probe wire through one of the re-bar holes and into the
     meat. 
     If I'm doing ribs, I don't really pay attention to temps.  Instead I follow a variation on the 3-2-1 method.  I hang them for 2.5 hours.  Then I wrap in foil with apple juice for 1.5 hours.  Then I unwrap and sauce for 30-45 minutes.

I hope this helps someone, I don't remember where I got the 40 coal in the chimney idea, but it has worked very well for me.  I have yet to try it, but i eventually want to try putting the lid on right after I pour the hot coals on.  Maybe that will give a lower barrel temp for beef ribs and what not.
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed

Offline scottv

She's burning hot
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 08:50:16 AM »
What's with all the counting coals? I just put some in my chimney and after about 15-20 minutes when most are white I pour them over some more coals in the basket and then put the basket in the barrel

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Kona

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
One thing I noticed with my cooker the other day is my lid wasn't completely set on the cooker, I had to press down on one side to get it to seal. I looked and it didn't seem to be showing any gaps that would let air in but you never know. Now I know to push it down. I need to give it a decent pull to get it back off the cooker.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline bobh665

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 07:10:45 PM »
One thing I noticed with my cooker the other day is my lid wasn't completely set on the cooker, I had to press down on one side to get it to seal. I looked and it didn't seem to be showing any gaps that would let air in but you never know. Now I know to push it down. I need to give it a decent pull to get it back off the cooker.
How long have you had your PBC? I got mine last year and had the same problem with the lid not closing tightly. I called Noah and he said to do a few cooks and if its still sticking call him back. Well it kept on sticking. I called him back and he asked me to send pictures of my lid. I did that and it turns out they changed the design and I had the old one. Within a few days they sent me a new lid and it fits perfect. Great customer service!

Offline Kona

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
How long have you had your PBC? I got mine last year and had the same problem with the lid not closing tightly. I called Noah and he said to do a few cooks and if its still sticking call him back. Well it kept on sticking. I called him back and he asked me to send pictures of my lid. I did that and it turns out they changed the design and I had the old one. Within a few days they sent me a new lid and it fits perfect. Great customer service!

I only bought it at the beginning of this year and I've done quite a few cooks. I'll have to look into that, Thank you
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
boy, i forgot how i was when i first purchased this pbc.  when i initially did cooks i didn't choke anything down, so I was running temps really hot which was good when i did chicken but when i did brisket it really didn't pan out well.  i suggest you follow all the videos until you are good at that, then experiment with foil or magnets over the top holes to choke the temps down to where you want.  ive done at least 6 brisket with choking the temp down to 225ish, they came out brilliantly!!!!  it just takes a little more work and the beauty of the pbc is the set it and forget it, however, it can be manipulated with some work :)
jason

Offline cody0707

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »
What I find interesting about the PBC is that it restricts the exhaust of the cooker. Most other smokers keep the exhaust wide open and manage the temps using the intake. Generally the exhaust can flow more volume than the intake can allow in. On the PBC it is the opposite and the intake is larger than the exhaust.