Author Topic: Another Shot at Beef Ribs  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Kona

Re: Another Shot at Beef Ribs
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »
I unwrapped after 90 minutes after being hung for 90 and they were far more tender then the previous way I cooked them by just hanging them for 90 minutes. I'm not a huge lover of wrapping as I'm a bark fan. The ribs were good but they did have that slight "steamed" taste if that makes sense? There was far more pull back on the bones and still had a bit of pull when you bite them. I think I'd like to try for the next round is just hang them for the same amount of time and check the tenderness that way. I love experimenting
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
im very interested in this post because ive done some short ribs in the past and i was disappointed in the results.  however, i did them as a "finish the coals out" type of cook and it was really hot like 350ish in the barrel.  i knew to choke it down but it was late in the night and i had no other option.  im interested in how your short rib cook will come out.

Offline Daze823

• BBQs, You can't have just one :)
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »
Is there a reason people only wrap after cooking unwrapped for awhile?  Would it work to wrap first, start getting the meat tender, and then cook unwrapped to get the taste and crust of unwrapped cooks?
TEC Patio II Infrared Grill
Charbroil, The Big Easy Smoker. Roaster & Grill (SRG)
Weber Premier Charcoal Grill

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »
Is there a reason people only wrap after cooking unwrapped for awhile?  Would it work to wrap first, start getting the meat tender, and then cook unwrapped to get the taste and crust of unwrapped cooks?

If you wrapped first, then there would be no or little smoke on the meat which defeats the purpose of using the PBC or any other smoker

Offline MikeC01

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 10:18:16 PM »
In my local supermarket they label those as "Beef Back Ribs."  They're not hard to find around here as they're a by product of stores creating boneless rib roasts and rib steaks, but most of the stores cut them into individual ribs for some unknown reason.  So, what's hard to find is a rack of beef ribs.  I snap them up whenever I find a whole rack.  Short ribs are also quite common around here, but the beef back ribs have a more fatty, rich flavor IMO.  I love to cook beef back ribs on my PBC.  I throw some of the beef & game rub on them and then I'll sauce them up with some Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory Brown Sugar at the end.

Enjoy!

Offline Kona

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 07:51:29 AM »
In my local supermarket they label those as "Beef Back Ribs."  They're not hard to find around here as they're a by product of stores creating boneless rib roasts and rib steaks, but most of the stores cut them into individual ribs for some unknown reason.  So, what's hard to find is a rack of beef ribs.  I snap them up whenever I find a whole rack.  Short ribs are also quite common around here, but the beef back ribs have a more fatty, rich flavor IMO.  I love to cook beef back ribs on my PBC.  I throw some of the beef & game rub on them and then I'll sauce them up with some Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory Brown Sugar at the end.

Enjoy!

how long do you cook yours for?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
Those look mighty fine!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Kona

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
just threw on some beef back ribs for dinner tonight and will try a different technique as previously posted by me. This time I'll do completely unwrapped for 3-4 hours. I just used salt and pepper for the rub.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »
Those look mighty tasty.  I've done Beef back ribs and short ribs and prefer short.  The backs are, as pointed out, leftover from trimming prime rib roasts so they tend to have little meat and more fat.  I only use salt and pepper as I want the ribs to shine on their own.  A cook will last 4 hours or so - just take a toothpick or thermometer probe and when tender they are done.  No foiling as I like the bark to be strong.

Offline Kona

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 08:30:31 PM »
Those look mighty tasty.  I've done Beef back ribs and short ribs and prefer short.  The backs are, as pointed out, leftover from trimming prime rib roasts so they tend to have little meat and more fat.  I only use salt and pepper as I want the ribs to shine on their own.  A cook will last 4 hours or so - just take a toothpick or thermometer probe and when tender they are done.  No foiling as I like the bark to be strong.

I started to run out of time so I had to foil once again. I did 1 hour and 45 minutes hanging then wrapped with some red wine for another hour then back on the grate with sauce for 30 minutes. I will say they did taste dam good and were definitely easy to pull apart.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Kona

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
I did another experiment last night and just left the beef ribs hanging for 4 hours. Definitely not the way to cook them. they were tough and well over cooked. I will stick to my method of 90 minutes hanging, 60 minutes in foil and 30 mins on the grate for sauce.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC