Author Topic: Brisket Up Next  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Kona

Brisket Up Next
« Reply #-1 on: March 28, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
So I'd like to try a brisket on the PBC. I've NEVER done a brisket before, even on my electric smoker. I'm not sure what exactly I should look for in buying the glorious hunk of meat. I hear about the point and flat etc but just was curious as to what I should be looking for? Also any tips would be greatly appreciated, especially for a PBC cook. I'll check their video as well.

Thanks!
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Aclarke44

Re: Brisket Up Next
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
I'd buy a "choice" brisket (full packer and not just the flat).  11-13 lbs is a good size for the PBC.  Look for decent marbling and even thickness towards the thin (flat) end.  When you pick it up make sure it's floppy and not stiff.   Trim the fat cap down to 1/4 or 1/8 thick.  Aaron Franklin has a couple videos on YouTube showing what to look for in a brisket and how to trim it.  As far as cooking, follow Noah's brisket video and you'll get a greaf brisket.   Only thing I don't do is add liquid to the foil when I wrap.  It's plenty juicy for me without but that's your call.   
Biggest tip I can give is do NOT cook to a certain temperature  (ie 195, 200, ect).  Cook to a certain feel and that is probe tender.  When you can stick a probe in the thickest part of the FLAT (temp probe will work) and it goes in with no resistance,  it's done.  This can happen anywhere between 195° - 210°.  Use 195 to know when to start checking.....

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »
Choice will work nicely. If you get a select grade and if the kryovac packaging is good and tight, you can wet age it for a couple of weeks. That really helps select grade out a bunch. Just check with the butcher for the "kill" date not the packaging date.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Brisket Up Next
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
We have prime packers at my Costco for $3.19 a pound. Maybe worth a look
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »

Well worth the look.....choice out here is setting around 4.99 a lb
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »
I'm going to check and see what my meat market has at the weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:20:17 PM »
i will second the costco brisket as ive done probably 8 or so from there and the prime is great.  i have tried the choice point and flat sold separately from albertson's and it just doesn't come as nice as when you get the full packer, imo.  one thing ive done differently is not cook the whole packer, i like to separate the point and flat and then cook them.  i like that i can get seasoning on top and bottom of point and flat.  ive done that for the last 5 or 6 brisket and the results have always been excellent.  also, i use barely 1 oz of liquid when i wrap.  i may not even try liquid the next time as there is plenty of liquid coming from the meat.  lastly, i choke down the temps and let them hover in the 225 range using magnets and/or foil to block the top holes.  that takes a lot more attentiveness but once i started doing that the difference was night and day.  making brisket is my absolute favorite in the pbc, have fun!!!!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »

Well worth the look.....choice out here is setting around 4.99 a lb

Here in Houston, HEB has packer briskets on sale for $1.49 per pound with an additional $10 purchase and a limit of 2. I bought a 17 and a 18 pound choice. They had both select and choice in the same bin for the same price. I guess most people don't look for grade when they shop, but the choice briskets were in the back and bottom of the pile. I'll make sausage out of one and smoke the other.