Author Topic: Getting into a PBC  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Mpls

Getting into a PBC
« Reply #-1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:03:47 PM »
I'm in search of a little advice from a lot of you PBC experts.  I've watched all of the PBC youtube videos multiple times and have done my best to follow the instructions.  I've had pretty good results, but always find myself looking for a little more.  Below is what I've made thus far and the results:

Chicken - it's been rather meh, and after reading a lot of threads on here I'm 100% sure that I wasn't getting my PBC hot enough to start (should be an easy fix).

Flank Steak - best flipping flank steak I've ever had (won't change a thing).

Chicken Wings - They were awesome, zero complaints!

Ribs - I've been fairly pleased, but results are all over the place. The first batch tasted great and had a fantastic bark on them, but were a little tough for my liking.  The MN weather was quite cold and I was cooking two full racks and 4 halved chickens, so I figured next time to just leave them on longer.
     2nd attempt was on a much warmer day and the only thing on the cooker was 1 rack of ribs.  Well, somehow I got the thing way too hot and when I went to check on them at the 3 hr mark they had already fallen in... >:(  I use the chimney method and left the lid off for 5-10 min after adding the hot coals.  I added 2 more chunks of mesquite in the middle of the cook (in hindsight I don't know why I did this and regret it).
      3rd try I used the chimney method as usual and closed the lid right away and began my cook, 2 full racks of ribs.  I had them hanging for over 4hrs and still pulled them a little too early and the bark was no where near what I had before.  You could say I was a little hesitant to leave them on longer, even though I was doing the toothpick check.  By seeing pics and comments on here I don't think I had enough coals in my chimney to start.

To try and sum things up here are a couple of my questions/comments and I'd love any feedback or advice in general you experts have for me. 

1) I think I need a thermometer to keep track of where the PBC is at for my own sanity, do most of you?  I don't know how else to keep track of what went wrong or right each time.  Which ones do you recommend?  I keep reading on here about a maverick one?
2) I will definitely make sure the top layer of coals are really hot and ready (either the lighter fluid way, or chimney method) to go before putting chicken on.  I'll try to do the same for everything I make on the PBC, but have to admit I'm still a little nervous about the ribs.
3) I have been soaking my chunks of wood before adding to the basket, but read on here that's a big no, no.  Not sure where I read to do that, or maybe I just made it up myself.  Either way, that won't happen again.  Is the smoke from the one or two chunks of wood what gives the really nice bark to the meat?

I'm going to try another rack of ribs this weekend when I make a pork butt.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Pappymn

Getting into a PBC
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:11:42 PM »
Not a PBC owner. Get the Maverick 732 and never look back. This site also corrected my on soaking wood too. Amazing ribs.com is also an excellent resource if you haven't discovered it yet.

Lot of PBC talent here and they will swing by with advice
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Mpls

Re: Getting into a PBC
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »
Not a PBC owner. Get the Maverick 732 and never look back. This site also corrected my on soaking wood too. Amazing ribs.com is also an excellent resource if you haven't discovered it yet.

Lot of PBC talent here and they will swing by with advice
Thanks, do you recommend also having a decent instant read as well, like thermopop or something?  Right now I only have a cheap on from target and it takes forever to get a final read on it.

Offline Pappymn

Getting into a PBC
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »
Buy any one you like from Thermoworks. Great company and the best products. I could not cook without my Thermapen
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Mpls

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:30:49 PM »
Awesome, thanks.  Ordered a thermopop and a maverick 732...

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
I spoke to Noah recently and had told him I thought my ribs were cooking way too fast. in 90 minutes they were more than done. He said they shouldn't be cooking that fast. I told him about my lighting process and said I use lighter fluid and was waiting 15-20 mins before hanging my meat. It seems I was letting my coals getting way too hot and he said no more than 12 minutes after lighting then hang the meat. I'm in South Florida so I have the 1/4 open setting on the vent.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »
As a PBC owner for over 4 years I firmly believe in Noah's videos and I still call him and Amber with questions.

I had a thermo hooked up to my PBC when I first got it and Noah was ready to fly over and remove it  ;D

When it comes to bark, I believe the formation of bark is from a combination of the rub used (sugar in the rub) and heat.

I have had chunks in my PBC but I just prefer the "grease fog" from Kingsford.

How have your results been since talking to Noah??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Mpls

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:16:43 PM »
I spoke to Noah recently and had told him I thought my ribs were cooking way too fast. in 90 minutes they were more than done. He said they shouldn't be cooking that fast. I told him about my lighting process and said I use lighter fluid and was waiting 15-20 mins before hanging my meat. It seems I was letting my coals getting way too hot and he said no more than 12 minutes after lighting then hang the meat. I'm in South Florida so I have the 1/4 open setting on the vent.
Interesting.  I haven't tried the lighter fluid method yet and have been using the chimney method.  I think with the exception of the one time I got the pbc too hot and the ribs fell in, I haven't been putting enough charcoal in the chimney to start. From posts on here it seems most try to get the pbc pretty hot from the start. There has to be a happy medium, right?

Adding to it, I'm a complete rookie at ribs, so am struggling a little to figure out exactly what the right tenderness is by testing w a toothpick. I've read on here to hold up from one end and look for a 90 degree bend and a slight cracking in the bark, so hopefully that will help.

In the end, I think I just need more experience to get the hang of it.  If not, I'll sure as hell die trying, lol.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 07:53:21 PM »
I have always used the lighter fluid method  (it is just plain fun) but have done the chimney starter method with great results.

I usually check my ribs for pull back...about 1/4-1/2 inch and take those bad boys off...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Getting into a PBC
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 11:33:29 PM »
Interesting.  I haven't tried the lighter fluid method yet and have been using the chimney method.  I think with the exception of the one time I got the pbc too hot and the ribs fell in, I haven't been putting enough charcoal in the chimney to start. From posts on here it seems most try to get the pbc pretty hot from the start. There has to be a happy medium, right?

Adding to it, I'm a complete rookie at ribs, so am struggling a little to figure out exactly what the right tenderness is by testing w a toothpick. I've read on here to hold up from one end and look for a 90 degree bend and a slight cracking in the bark, so hopefully that will help.

In the end, I think I just need more experience to get the hang of it.  If not, I'll sure as hell die trying, lol.

Good attitude. If the toothpick slides info the meat with little resistance......they are done
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 02:58:50 AM »
I have used a thermometer maybe twice on the PBC.  I generally go by the type of smoke coming out of it to make my adjustments.  I also do not use wet wood.  As for the chicken, I find dry brining at least 24 hours in advance helps make the skin bite through.  You also want to make sure to trim all the excess skin and fat that would drip off and hit the coals increasing the moisture in the barrel.  Finally when cooking chicken alone, I only use one rebar, allowing a little more air flow and increasing the temperatures in the barrel.  I am at 289 ft above sea level and my chicken takes about 75-80 mins to cook.

As for ribs, I have had some take 4 hours, and I have had some take 5-6 hours.  I usually give my first check 2 hours into the cook to see where we are at based on pull back from the bones and color.  I try not to wrap unless they get really dark (a lot of brown sugar in my rub).  From that point depending how the ribs feel and look I check again an hour later, then every 30 minutes until I feel they are done.  If saucing I do it in multiple layers, and start this process during the every 30 minute check point. I usually cook spare ribs unless the misses specifically asks for baby back ribs for dinner.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your cooks!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Mpls

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:14:21 AM »
Here are a few of my previous cooks.  All tasted good, but some could use a little more fine tuning...

Flank Steak - mmm

Wings - mighty tasty

Ribs - tasty, but I took them off a little too early

Chicken

A nice Cuban with some bourbon - my kind of desert!

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »
First let me say welcome . I am a old smoker from way back and find the PBC a little different animal. I had a few habit to break, like I haven't used lighter fluid for over 40 years. I tried counting briqtts, but I find lighter fluid is easier for me. I do have the maverick 732 and a thermapen....you will be fine with the thermopop. The PBC has been about all I have used for the past year....just so easy to use and clean...oh did I mention about the best food I have ever cooked.lol
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]