Author Topic: Kentucky Roast Beef  (Read 3655 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Kentucky Roast Beef
« Reply #-1 on: March 30, 2016, 06:38:32 PM »
Some of you may remember that a long time ago KFC had gone into the roast beef sandwich business to compete with Arby's. They didn't last long as the the prices of beef at the time were very unstable and they couldn't pass the rising prices onto consumers and still have a marketable (and profitable) product so they closed their doors. Most were just sold along side KFC in a shared building however there were some free standing stores. I don't recall ever seeing them in my youth but there were some located in the Metro Atlanta area.

There is a youtube channel called "Ballistic BBQ" and the guy has an arsenal of cookery and one of his favorites is the Pit Barrel Cooker. In looking through his vids, I ran across this :

He talks about KRB and the fond memories of eating their sandwiches so he set out to replicate it. I found the video intriguing so I followed his lead and made my own Sirloin Tip roast on my PBC and even made the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce as he did in the video. I will tell you that he must REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE old #7 because this sauce is a flat out butt kicker! WAY TOO much JD in this concoction. He should've called this Kentucky Drunk Beef. I went back and added more ketchup, more honey and more sugar and was able to somewhat kill the ridiculous amount of JD. If you follow his recipe, I'd cut the JD down to 1/4 cup and add as needed if you must. His recipe called for a mind (and taste bud) numbing 1 1/2 cups whisky! WOW!!!! I should've known but alas, I am a male and I am slow to catch on :P

Here is my interpretation of his meal.

Served with some seasoned potato rounds. That sauce could've been a winner if I hadn't gone overboard with the hard stuff. As it's my nature, I added to the sauce as well. I have said in the past that I am a tinkerer, this begged for some tinkering! I added a little GP & OP to the sauce as well as apple sauce. Sounds weird I know but it adds a mild sweetness as well as thickens it a bit. I was really trying to kill Mr. Daniels with whatever I could find lying around. If I had molasses, I would've thrown some of that in there as well but it was not to be. I always have that stuff around.....not today!

I may make another batch sans JD and add it to this to see if it comes out better.

Anyway, thanks for looking!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Kentucky Roast Beef
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
Those RB sammie look fantastic!  Plate me, brother!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Mpls

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:25:57 PM »
Forget the sauce, that meat looks ridiculous!  Did you just cook it to med rare temp like Noah's instructions for a flank steak?

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »
Forget the sauce, that meat looks ridiculous!  Did you just cook it to med rare temp like Noah's instructions for a flank steak?

I cooked it to 130° but it was rarer than that in the center. I probably should've used my 3 other available probes on the Tappecue to get a better idea where it was at, lol. It turned out nice though. It was not the best cut of meat, select grade, but it served its purpose. I have cut the remainder in to 2 pieces and vac sealed and into the freezer for future sammiches ;)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »
I would slam down three of those sammies  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Mpls

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »

I cooked it to 130° but it was rarer than that in the center. I probably should've used my 3 other available probes on the Tappecue to get a better idea where it was at, lol. It turned out nice though. It was not the best cut of meat, select grade, but it served its purpose. I have cut the remainder in to 2 pieces and vac sealed and into the freezer for future sammiches ;)
Nice!! The sandwich looks awesome!

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »
That looks great!  I'm gonna have to try that! 

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »
You are the BBQ Master, no doubt about it! ,,,, Wow!is all I can say...  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:49 AM »
A bit rare for me but would try it!!! Sounds interesting!!! I never remembered KFC trying steak TFS! Don
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:33:33 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 07:23:32 AM »
A bit rare for me but would try it!!! Sounds interesting!!! I never remembered KFY trying steak TFS! Don

The interior was a bit rare for me as well but I ate it anyway. My wife is part vampire so it was perfect for her, lol. The rest that I froze in foodsaver bags will be reheated in bag via Sous Vide to 140-145° the next time I want a roast beef sandwich. I'll plop it in the bath before I head to work and when I get home it'll be ready. Gotta love it!

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
Dang RG!!!!
Great looking meat there! I'll have two sandwiches with potatoes and a cold beer to go please. ;D
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:04 AM »
The meat on the sandwich looks great!

That is the first sauce I have heard about that requires you to find a designated driver before using :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »
The food looks OUTSTANDING!

I don't understand such things as  "WAY TOO much JD"  :o ,  " ridiculous amount of JD  ???",   "cut the JD down"  :'(    though.  That information just doesn't compute!  ;D
 Just kidding! Put that extra JD in my glass..   

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pappymn

Kentucky Roast Beef
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
Looks perfect for my taste. And I like the ballistic bbq too
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109